AltHL Identity Contest

BurdBranding

I just lost in a team identity competition that was going on for two hockey teams named the Los Angels Titans and the Chicago Ghosts. Since I took some time on these I wanted to show them here and get more eyes on them. Would love some feedback!

spacer.png

spacer.png
For the LA concept I tried to do something different from the usual aggressive warrior route, and picked Atlas holding the Earth as my inspiration. Used a Greek theatre mask style for the face and decided on navy, metallic gold and aqua like teal because I felt it fit the city. The uniform, much like LA, is meant to be a spin on tradition with some flair topped off with a gold bucket because I demand that we challenge norms!

spacer.png

spacer.png

Chicago with a name like Ghosts is a tad difficult, but I tried to shape it more around the city than the team name. A simple ghost with a sash based on the Chicago flag, and if it isn’t obvious I gave the little guy a C and a G as eyes.

The threads are also based on the city flag, but I decided to make it more subtle by opting for a red stripe that trails off towards the middle instead of a literal star. I think it gives a cool effect I wasn’t expecting.

Well, tell me what you think! Where’d I go wrong? Haha I haven’t posted a concept here for awhile so I can’t wait to hear from some familiar faces I don’t get to hear from often now that life is extremely busy.

Starting with the Titans concept - it's by far the better of the two, but I get more of a Mardi Gras/New Orleans vibe from it instead of LA or Greek Mythology. While the actors' mask is a subtle nod to the entertainment industry, I think its too much of a stretch to make that LA connection. To me, the name "Titans" evoke a sense of power and majesty and I feel it's lacking here. 

For the Ghosts - I'm really not feeling this. Other than the uniform stripes (which I feel are really, really good), things seem way to forced. From the 'C G' on the eyes to the city sash, everything on the logo-side of the concept screams "thrown together at the last minute". 

1 hour ago, Atomic said:

Starting with the Titans concept - it's by far the better of the two, but I get more of a Mardi Gras/New Orleans vibe from it instead of LA or Greek Mythology. While the actors' mask is a subtle nod to the entertainment industry, I think its too much of a stretch to make that LA connection. To me, the name "Titans" evoke a sense of power and majesty and I feel it's lacking here. 

For the Ghosts - I'm really not feeling this. Other than the uniform stripes (which I feel are really, really good), things seem way to forced. From the 'C G' on the eyes to the city sash, everything on the logo-side of the concept screams "thrown together at the last minute". 

LA Titans - I see what you mean by the NOLA feel. I think a lot plays off of the colors, which were meant to be more Art Deco to start but I could see how that might be lost in the progression. I was trying to go away from the usual take of the all mighty Titan, but I guess it is hard to change ones thought process for something that works. Atlas is a literal Titan who has the world in his hands, which I felt was appropriate for a city that influences the world, but I guess I didn’t account for the actual punishment it was.

Chicago Ghosts - This one was definitely cookie cutter considering I wasn’t sure how to connect the city and the name. It is pretty in your face, but I was going for a less aggressive mascot that might have made its way through time. The forced letters felt like a quirk that would make the team feel like it had some history, coming from a time where it was more acceptable. The sash was to balance that giant head, but I get what you’re saying I leaned too far into the city aspect. 

Appreciate your feedback! It’s always fun to hear.

I was a big fan of your Titans concept, the LA options were both really good and made for a hard choice, however, while the colors were maybe my favorite of any of the logos, the mask reminded me too much of NOLA like @Atomic said. I picked up on the Atlas concept pretty immediately but the mask could've been replaced by Atlas himself. In the end, since both were really well done, I choose the one that felt most like a logo for a team named the Titans, unfortunately it was the other one. 

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

I think the Titans logo would look better (and less Mardi Gras) is the mask was less exaggerated. The sharp nose and rotund cheeks are over defined to the point that they almost don't read as a theater mask.

That said the idea there is excellent! It reminds me of a Golden Globe; perfect for Hollywood. The uniform is also great, and the blue & gold feel really glamorous. The teal is cool but maybe a powder blue would look interesting?

I agree with what's been said about the Ghosts. Jerseys are good; the logo execution is a bit sloppy.

The rounded inner corners are awkward, and the hair curve is a bit odd. Cleaning that up could help a lot.

Also, the bottom of the logo ends abruptly. Maybe you could have the torso in the shape of the Bean, with the banner flipped over forming the top of it?

These are really good ideas, just need a bit of modification to be really excellent!

On 3/17/2020 at 1:02 PM, _DietDrPepper_ said:

I was a big fan of your Titans concept, the LA options were both really good and made for a hard choice, however, while the colors were maybe my favorite of any of the logos, the mask reminded me too much of NOLA like @Atomic said. I picked up on the Atlas concept pretty immediately but the mask could've been replaced by Atlas himself. In the end, since both were really well done, I choose the one that felt most like a logo for a team named the Titans, unfortunately it was the other one. 

I appreciate the comment! It seems that converting my ideas into one cohesive identity is where I am being held up, a real "Too many chefs in the kitchen" type of problem. A lot of ideas that I want to use, but might not belong together. The colors were definitely based on an Art Deco palette I found online, wanted to be like LAFC but with a little more pop. I think I am actually going to utilize the mask for a different identity that is geared more towards a NOLA theme, so that is very nice to hear. 

On 3/17/2020 at 1:56 PM, Section30 said:

I was a big fan of your Titans logo and actually voted for it, I really like the Atlas holding up the world idea.

Thanks! Wish we had more voters like you around haha! But the other option was awesome too, I knew it would be tight and have no problem with how it turned out.

On 3/18/2020 at 10:47 AM, vtgco said:

I think the Titans logo would look better (and less Mardi Gras) is the mask was less exaggerated. The sharp nose and rotund cheeks are over defined to the point that they almost don't read as a theater mask.

That said the idea there is excellent! It reminds me of a Golden Globe; perfect for Hollywood. The uniform is also great, and the blue & gold feel really glamorous. The teal is cool but maybe a powder blue would look interesting?

I agree with what's been said about the Ghosts. Jerseys are good; the logo execution is a bit sloppy.

The rounded inner corners are awkward, and the hair curve is a bit odd. Cleaning that up could help a lot.

Also, the bottom of the logo ends abruptly. Maybe you could have the torso in the shape of the Bean, with the banner flipped over forming the top of it?

These are really good ideas, just need a bit of modification to be really excellent!

Once all my applications on my Mac are fixed I think I will try tweaking the mask shape. I hear what you're saying with the colors, I actually considered baby blue for awhile, but opted for the true Art Deco. Happy you picked up all the little nods to the city!

For Chicago, I think this one will  be on the shelf for a little bit. I might bring it back and play with it, but I am not sure where I would use it. After looking at it, I do agree with a lot of your analysis though. If I work with it again I'll probably start by cleaning the lines like you suggest. Thanks!

Archived