Regional/Geographical/City Names

On 5/1/2020 at 12:38 PM, QCS said:

Yeah, I've never had a problem with the Minnesota teams because of the MPLS/StP thing, but the "regional name" never made sense to me when there isn't that local rivalry to avoid or a direct reference for the name. I'd be just fine with the Boston Patriots, San Francisco Warriors, Indianapolis Pacers, etc. but I can let the Minnesota teams, both Panthers, and the Texas Rangers slide (although I'd also be fine with the Dallas Rangers). 

Honestly, I wish we had the Indiana Colts too.  Indianapolis is such a mouthful. 

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, NicDB said:

Honestly, I wish we had the Indiana Colts too.  Indianapolis is such a mouthful. 

My solution was Indy Pacers and Indy Colts. "Indy" is one of the most recognized city abbreviations (due to the Indy 500) and it's only four letters compared to the mouthful of Indianapolis.

Honestly, I've never found Indianapolis to be that much of a mouthful. It's just India-napolis, not really that complex a name. And it's not like Indiana has a thing where using the state name makes more sense like with Minnesota.

"Indianapolis Pacers" sounds fine; it's only one letter off from "Indianapolis Racers", anyways, and that name worked perfectly fine.

On 9/10/2020 at 4:53 PM, the admiral said:

"Allentown Phantoms" would sound better. At least Allentown is the name of a popular Billy Joel song (the one where he tried to write a Springsteen song), "Lehigh Valley" doesn't mean anything to me. As for the Phillies affiliate, well, you'd have to start from scratch on that one.

correct me if I'm wrong, but Lehigh Valley might be another Minnesota situation on a smaller scale with Allentown and Bethlehem.

I went to college in Easton, PA, so I feel like I have a grasp on this on (even though I graduated 32 years ago).

I think this is more of a "trying to appeal to a broader market" issue rather than appeasing a peer city.  Allentown is about 60% bigger than Bethlehem (121,000 vs. 75,000) and is generally the dominant city of the three in the Valley.  Meanwhile the Valley is spread over about 20 miles from the west end of Allentown to the Delaware River in Easton, so it makes sense to try to capture everyone by using the name Lehigh Valley instead of Allentown.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Archived