My bitmap files lose quality when I upload them

BigBubba

I've run into this problem a few times. I'll make a graphic on Inkscape, export it as a png (usually around 600x800), and it will come out high quality. Then when I upload that png online (usually to facebook but in this case craigslist), it'll come out poorer quality, like this:

49872453372_2cea41ceb7_m.jpg

I know very little about this sort of stuff, so is it because it's a .png? Or the file size? Or one of the things that pop up on the Inkscape export menu? (fyi I have no clue what any of those are)

49872465732_e9effdb1de_o.png

Thanks to whoever can help!

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

31 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Facebook compresses uploaded images.

Is there anything I can do to an image to mitigate the effect this has on pic quality?

I don't think so, you're really at the mercy of the hosting sites as to how large they'll allow your uploads to be. I save jpegs at 12 on the slider in Photoshop. Imgur doesn't mess too much with concept art I've uploaded there, I don't think, but those are simple compared to actual photographs, and I've never done a side-by-side to check. Facebook artifacts the hell out of everything.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

38 minutes ago, the admiral said:

I don't think so, you're really at the mercy of the hosting sites as to how large they'll allow your uploads to be. I save jpegs at 12 on the slider in Photoshop. Imgur doesn't mess too much with concept art I've uploaded there, I don't think, but those are simple compared to actual photographs, and I've never done a side-by-side to check. Facebook artifacts the hell out of everything.

alright good to know then, thanks

• 1 month later...
On 5/8/2020 at 4:20 PM, BigBubba said:

I've run into this problem a few times. I'll make a graphic on Inkscape, export it as a png (usually around 600x800), and it will come out high quality. Then when I upload that png online (usually to facebook but in this case craigslist), it'll come out poorer quality, like this:

49872453372_2cea41ceb7_m.jpg

I know very little about this sort of stuff, so is it because it's a .png? Or the file size? Or one of the things that pop up on the Inkscape export menu? (fyi I have no clue what any of those are)

49872465732_e9effdb1de_o.png

Thanks to whoever can help!

Sometimes I save the file then convert it to jpg using Irfanview (old school) and upload that smaller file instead.  Not sure if that would bypass Craigslist or Facebook's compression if you try it since it would have already been compressed by you using Irfanview.

Give it a shot.  I don't know if it will work but couldn't hurt.  Anyone else feel free to chime. 

Archived