The Big League Cities of America - a timeline

B-Rich

11 hours ago, leopard88 said:

@Dilbert, that is an impressive list.

One change you might want to consider, but it's completely your call -- the NFL Dallas Texans were based in Hershey, PA for the last half of the 1952 season, though they played all of their games on the road after leaving Dallas (unless you count a "home" game in Akron -- so maybe they belong in Ohio).

I thought about that but to me since most of their home games were in Dallas other than the home game in Akron I decided against. Its like when the Saints had their home game in New Jersey before they played in Baton Rouge and San Antonio.

4 hours ago, B-Rich said:

Just curious as to why no inclusion of the WFL or USFL, yet inclusion of the USA, NPSL and NASL, Federal League etc. .

Thought about them too. Im still hesitant to add them. WFL was just such a mess its hard to consider it major league. USFL I always thought of it as a professional but not major league. I might add them,

Signature intentionally left blank

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 9/11/2020 at 3:42 PM, B-Rich said:

I would also leave off Arena Football, as it was and is a joke.

The Arena Football League became a joke only after it cancelled the 2009 season in order to break the players' union. 

The initial season of 1987 was a demonstration season lasting about a month and a half, consisting of four teams playing six games each. But for the two decades from 1988 through 2008, that league was legit. In particular, the Orlando Predators and the Tampa Bay Storm enjoyed a major-league rivalry

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

On 9/11/2020 at 7:59 PM, Dilbert said:

I thought about that but to me since most of their home games were in Dallas other than the home game in Akron I decided against. Its like when the Saints had their home game in New Jersey before they played in Baton Rouge and San Antonio.

That makes sense.

Again, very impressive work.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

On 9/10/2020 at 7:25 PM, Dilbert said:

Dallas Chaparrals 1967-70 (ABA)

Dallas Chaparrals (Fort Worth) 1968-70 (ABA)

Texas Chaparrals (Dallas) 1970-71 (ABA)

Texas Chaparrals (Fort Worth) 1970-71 (ABA)

Texas Chaparrals (Lubbock) 1970-71 (ABA)

Dallas Chaparrals 1971-73 (ABA)

Dallas Chaparrals (Denton) 1972-73 (ABA)

San Antonio Spurs 1973-76 (ABA)

San Antonio Spurs 1976-pre (NBA)

The Chaparrals only played 3 games in Denton that year. I wouldn't consider that their home.

The best ever ABA team out of Denton never settled on a name, but the top three contenders, after weeks of debate, were the Spurs, the Chaparrals, and the Hospital Bombers

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived