Quebec Hockey 1989

JCRGraphix

spacer.png

I'm back with a project I've been working on since my job in Michigan has been shut down. I was looking through old things in my garage and happened upon a particular Nintendo game. Before the NHL licensed video games, the LHMQ (Quebec Major Hockey League*) owned the market on hockey games. Here's a look at part of the manual of that game where they break down each of the teams...

Up first are the Alma Sparks (Les Étincelles d'Alma) named after the major hydroelectric industry in the area...

spacer.png

*fictional

Hard to find something to critique when the thread belongs to you, JCR. It's always really nice to see you around. The Sparks look great as something you'd actually see in the QMJHL because of the jerseys that are similar to real life Boston.

The Nationals have a pretty sweet logo and I like their jerseys because they remind me of the Montreal team from the sim league you ran so long ago. I think their video game jerseys are way off the color you are showing, I get the video game doesn't usually sync up perfectly, but if I wouldn't be able to connect the two without you showing them next to each other.

The Trappers are the best, imo, due to the fact that I am a sucker for brown and orange. If I had to change anything, I would say the logo, while good, looks like two separate logos smashed together. I am not sure how you could make it more cohesive, but I can't stop seeing the wolf head and then the human head as an addition afterwards. I also think the numbers don't need that white outline. I suggest matching the numbers with the striping on the home. Just orange outlined by thick brown. 

Can't wait to see more!

Thanks guys! For the Nintendo characters I used an NES color map, so some of the colors will be delightfully off...

Up next are the Sept-Iles Islanders (Les Insulaires de Sept-Îles) and their simple crimson and gold look.

spacer.png

There isn’t much to critique. The designs and layout are really well done. Very nostalgic. I played a lot of Nintendo when I was younger. Blades of Steel and Ice Hockey were two of my favourites. This is very reminiscent of that. 

I’m looking forward to seeing the rest of the team logo designs and jerseys. 

Ice Hockey was the bomb! 

Up next we have the Gatineau Raftsmen (Les Draveurs de Gatineau). The logo is made up of crossed oars with hockey sticks on the end under a gothic letter G. Although in 1989, the area was known as Hull, the arena is right on the Gatineau river.

spacer.png

Didn't the Gatineau Olympiques go by Hull until the name change? Wouldn't this team have done the same? Would there be any conflict here with the Trois-Rivieres Draveurs of about the same time?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

4 hours ago, the admiral said:

Didn't the Gatineau Olympiques go by Hull until the name change? Wouldn't this team have done the same? Would there be any conflict here with the Trois-Rivieres Draveurs of about the same time?

They did, however, since this team directly has to do with the river itself, they went with Gatineau. As for the Draveurs, it's such a normal part of Quebecois culture that it would be like using Cowboys in the Southwestern US...

Up next we finish out the project with the Granby Tigers (Les Tigres de Granby). Thanks for following along!

spacer.png

Gotcha. Cool. Part of my family came here from Trois-Rivieres, so I think I'd like to buy a Draveurs shirt if there's one to be bought.

I like the Tigres best in this series, I think.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived