Will's Trivia Question #15

WJMorris3

Do intentional walks count as pitches, since the pitcher is purposely not delivering to the plate? If not, you could intentionally walk the first two batters of each inning, throw one pitch to the third and pull nine triple plays. That'd only be 9 "pitches".

sticksstones4.png

The world's foremost practitioners of professional tag-team wrestling.

I just had another idea, too, if you count intentional walks as pitches. I'm not a baseball expert, so I could be way off here, but here's a thought. As far as I know, any pitcher that comes into the game as a reliever is credited for the number of innings pitched by the number of outs he gets.

For example, if a starter gives up 6 runs in the first inning, records no outs, and then leaves two men on base when he is pulled by the skipper, he gets credit for no innings. However, the relief man that comes in can get his first three outs with one pitch that is batted into a triple play. That's a full inning's work, because he singlehandedly retired the side. Assuming that every batter must face at least one pitch thereafter, and the reliever stays in the whole time, he can throw a minimum of 25 pitches total, and get credit for 27 batters, or nine innings.

Yeah?

sticksstones4.png

I'll have to take a little while to think about this, because the idea of throwing 25 pitches to 27 batters is hurting my brain.

sticksstones4.png

You are the pitcher for the away team and you give up one run on one pitch. The other 24 pitches are all outs but your team doesn't score any runs so the home team doesn't bat (therefore, you don't pitch) in the bottom of the 9th and you lose, 1-0.

No idea if that's it.

I think you're close.

I think the road pitcher has to give up the Gopher ball in the ninth inning since the question clearly states a nine inning complete game. You mow down 24 consecutive batters in innings 1-8. Your teammates score no runs during the game and the first batter in the bottom of the 9th belts one out.

The question never said you had to be the winning pitcher.

What is the fewest number of pitches to toss a nine-inning complete game in the majors?

(We'll define a pitch as any time the pitcher delivers to the plate - each batter must see at least one pitch.)

Your wording is tricky. Is this a hypothetical question? Or are you asking who holds the record for fewest pitches thrown in a complete game? Clarify, please. :)

Wagner Athletic Group

11-2 Saskatoon Steeds (WAFL)-NFL-2014 Western Conference Champions / 8-5 Calgary Pronghorns (TNFF)-CFL-2014 Confederation Cup XI Champions

14-6-2 Saskatoon Yellowheads (XHL)-NHL-1st, Gretzky Conference / 5-4-0 Saskatoon Czars (MLH)-AHL-T2nd, Calder Conference

7-1-6 VfL Dortmund (Weltliga)-Bundesliga-3rd, League / 5-1-5 West End AFC (WFL)-EPL-T5th, League

14-7 Saskatoon Sheiks (AA)-MLB-2014 Founder's Cup Champions

I think you're close.

I think the road pitcher has to give up the Gopher ball in the ninth inning since the question clearly states a nine inning complete game. You mow down 24 consecutive batters in innings 1-8. Your teammates score no runs during the game and the first batter in the bottom of the 9th belts one out.

The question never said you had to be the winning pitcher.

D'oh! I was looking at it backwards the whole time. The run came last, not first. Good call.

Archived