Houston Texans "Throwback" Helmet (Updated with a Retro Logo and "Texan Red" Versions)

Wildcomet

Greetings! With the NFL's decision to allow alternate helmets for throwback and color rush uniforms starting next year (great decision in my opinion!), I saw an article speculating on what the Houston Texans could do with the opportunity, and it inspired me to come up with an idea for that concept. This isn't anything revolutionary, but that wasn't the point. I recolored the Texans logo to use the colors of the old Houston Oilers, and designed the helmet around their old aesthetic. Whether the Titans would allow this, I'm not sure, but it does look pretty nice and I think it'd be a nice nod to the city's football past to roll out those old colors once in a while, especially with the Titans now using a color palette that isn't really much different from the Texans these days. Hope you all enjoy!

spacer.png

Sportslogo-Forum-Signature-2.png

6 hours ago, BengalErnst said:

That is a beautiful helmet .. and a beautiful template. Where did you get it? 

Thanks! Glad you like it! I may post a second at some point, I've started playing around with giving the Texans a retro logo based on the old Dallas Texans logo using the Oilers color scheme but it isn't finished.

I actually made the template myself. I was having a hard time finding one I liked for Paint.NET, so I just made one finally.  Took a good deal of trial and error to get it where I like it. I started with the image of the helmet, and built the layers for shadows, changing colors, etc around it as well as added in the mannequin head which made it look a lot better to me personally than just floating in empty space, especially once I put the background to help convey some depth behind it.

This is a nice idea and well executed. I've always thought, though, that the Oilers' shades of red and blue didn't quite have enough contrast from one another. Specifically the red could be a bit darker. I don't know if that's a tweak the Texans or Titans would ever entertain if they were to do something like this. If it's for one or two games a year, I can live with the colours as they are, but if it were a longer term change, it's a change I'd like to see. 

On 6/29/2021 at 1:41 PM, officeglenn said:

This is a nice idea and well executed. I've always thought, though, that the Oilers' shades of red and blue didn't quite have enough contrast from one another. Specifically the red could be a bit darker. I don't know if that's a tweak the Texans or Titans would ever entertain if they were to do something like this. If it's for one or two games a year, I can live with the colours as they are, but if it were a longer term change, it's a change I'd like to see. 

I believe the Texans’ current “Battle Red” is darker than the Oilers’ red. @Wildcomet, would you mind using substituting those two colors?

I decided to keep having some  fun with this concept, and came up with this ode to 'Houston/Texans' history. I combined the colors of the Houston Oilers with a modernized take on the logo of the old AFL Dallas Texans, and I am pretty happy with how it came out. I may be biased but I think it works to convey a sense of history for football in the area, even if it isn't THIS franchise's history.  Based on requests earlier in the thread I did a version using both the blue and red of the Oilers, and a version using Oiler blue and Texans red. Enjoy!

Oilers Blue & Red

spacer.png

Oilers Blue & Texans Red

spacer.png

• Wildcomet changed the title to Houston Texans "Throwback" Helmet (Updated with a Retro Logo and "Texan Red" Versions)
  • 3 months later...

Archived