CCSLC DIY & Custom thread

Wasn't sure if anything like this was already around, if so, mods feel free to merge.  For now though...I've been thinking of this for a long time, and finally got around to making something.

I browse Epic Sports all the time, but rarely pull the trigger due to not having anything in mind at the time, but now I want to test an idea I have, so I ordered a shirt and cap.  Thanks to the magic of transfer paper and adhesives (edit: and some twill...can't forget the twill), I managed to customize the cap.  Wish I'd done a little better job with the leprechaun, tbh.

Feel free to share any DIY stuff or anything you had custom made, I can't wait to see it 😎

20211027-085107-HDR.jpg

• Like 1

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Ha! If you're local to Milwaukee, you could have seen me on TV on a CBS 58 feature last September on a Do It Yourself project. My buddy Dan had the idea of re-creating the scoreboard from Milwaukee County Stadium, only in miniature. I was his carpenter. I appear at the 2:45 mark.

https://www.cbs58.com/news/keeping-score-greenfield-man-constructs-working-replica-of-milwaukee-county-stadium-scoreboard

• Like 4

It's where I sit.

10 hours ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Ha! If you're local to Milwaukee, you could have seen me on TV on a CBS 58 feature last September on a Do It Yourself project. My buddy Dan had the idea of re-creating the scoreboard from Milwaukee County Stadium, only in miniature. I was his carpenter. I appear at the 2:45 mark.

https://www.cbs58.com/news/keeping-score-greenfield-man-constructs-working-replica-of-milwaukee-county-stadium-scoreboard

That's incredible. Really cool. Nice work, and thanks for sharing. 

• Like 1

When I was maybe 13 or 14, I tried to recreate Dr. J's 1975-76 Nets home jersey using a white vest and some fabric paint. It didn't go particularly well, and I didn't finish it. I always wanted one, and since throwbacks weren't readily available at the time, I had another attempt a decade or so later.

spacer.png

Just a cheap white vest with red & blue felt twill for the details. The name & numbers are heat-pressed on using an adhesive backing and the stripes were sewn (by hand, as I didn't have access to a sewing machine). Cost less than £10 to make and took maybe 6 hours, and it's still holding up despite being almost 20 years old now.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Discogod said:

When I was maybe 13 or 14, I tried to recreate Dr. J's 1975-76 Nets home jersey using a white vest and some fabric paint. It didn't go particularly well, and I didn't finish it. I always wanted one, and since throwbacks weren't readily available at the time, I had another attempt a decade or so later.

spacer.png

Just a cheap white vest with red & blue felt twill for the details. The name & numbers are heat-pressed on using an adhesive backing and the stripes were sewn (by hand, as I didn't have access to a sewing machine). Cost less than £10 to make and took maybe 6 hours, and it's still holding up despite being almost 20 years old now.

You've posted this before. Awesome project and glad you posted again!

It's where I sit.

21 hours ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Cool, I'm gonna have to check it out after the game.

In all honesty, I have no idea when I'm gonna really do it, but I've had my eye on either recreating my high school jersey as either a t-shirt or hoodie, something from that one time I posted a Cubs powder blue/brown overhaul, or making a shirsey version of a few concepts from my Sabres 50th Anniversary sets from a few years ago (leaning towards what I'd done for the Canadiens in that thread, if only so somebody asks me why the hell my Habs shirt has green trim instead of blue :hockeysmiley:).

• Like 1

2016cubscreamsig.png

It's not a piece of apparel, but I did this little project during the middle of quarantine last May. It's the striping of the Miami Hurricanes, Pirates, Steelers, Penguins, and Atlanta United painted on some leftover wood from a household DIY project. 

AM-JKLUNO7qeds8yUxTKc0DLtmHBcwNdH2pEYy8pnJZlXjGMWAN3m_sg20gUJmBJumimBZ3KBj1YxKrvs096ugCZQFUeJbVyCdn1Q9Cn3ZG8WD1fahiX9zF5-9vD_iF9Ta1NFTbm77DZZxgpuRfdHeBASp_f6A=w1250-h937-no?authuser=0

• Like 2

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

Haven't done any in a couple years at least but here there are some in my abandoned blog - Team Canada Beaver Jersey, Squirrel jersey, and a couple DIY baseball cards, etc.

http://reignoferror00.blogspot.com/

spacer.png

http://reignoferror00.blogspot.com/2020/02/team-canada-beaver-jersey.html

http://reignoferror00.blogspot.com/2013/03/diy-squirrel-hockey-jerseys.html

http://reignoferror00.blogspot.com/search/label/cards

"Just when I thought you'd said the stupidest thing, you keep on talking" - Hank Hill

• 5 weeks later...

I figure I'm not alone in that "search for it on Amazon" has become the new way I find out stuff exists.  Like miniature PCs, Android gaming controllers, portable and miniature heat presses, that sort of thing.  Hide your kids, ol' Scrim has a heat press :D Anyway, calling back to the hat that started this thread, I'd also mentioned a shirt.  With my shiny new heat press and twill numbers I'd made and then been sitting on since the hat, I finally got around to turning the shirt into an Irish shirsey.  Not gonna lie, I probably could have done a bit better of a job (for example...I have masking tape on hand....and an idea on how to use it for measurements...but didn't use it), but I'm only out $3.50 on the shirt in any case.  Didn't have a particular player in mind, so I went with my high school number (if I had had somebody in mind, probably would've gone with Tom Zbikowski).

20211204-145014.jpg

20211204-145039-HDR.jpg

20211204-145049-HDR.jpg

• Like 1

2016cubscreamsig.png

• Discrim changed the title to CCSLC DIY & Custom thread
  • 5 months later...

I've always wanted a Michael Jordan rookie year jersey but prices are way higher than I'm willing to pay for something that's just going in the wardrobe with the rest of my collection.

Solution? Blank jersey for £12, pack of vinyl heat transfer sheets (£10 for 10) and a few hours in Photoshop and I've got something I'm pretty damned happy with. The NoB is a little off kilter, but jerseys back then weren't always perfect, so I can live with it.

spacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 3
  • Applause 1