MLB Redesigns and Tweaks (White Sox and Yankees Added 24/24)

Djruggs

On 2022-07-29 at 2:12 PM, coco1997 said:

Having said that, I disagree about the need for pinstripes. The D-Backs have now been a non-pinstriped team longer than they were a pinstriped one, and I think the Rockies own the purple with pinstripes look. Of course, if Colorado ever decided to move away from pins, that look would be up for grabs.

The Rockies never beat the Yankees in 2001 in the World Series wearing pinstripes, and I have to give the nod to Arizona . Though the two teams do have quite different looks - Colorado with black and silver, and Arizona with Arizona Turquoise and Copper. I think both teams can wear purple pins. Remember that part of the reason Arizona moved from their original colours is that they were hard to colour match and HD was on it's way. If the tech had existed back then to match the colours better, Arizona might have kept the Turquoise and Purple.

Spoiler

31xgchpt50k1e3g789ci79ukt.gif7k3889auwgzavs4fntde8u0n9.png

Colorado had a much easier time colour matching than Arizona did.

I do think going back to Purple and Arizona Turquoise is the right choice for the Diamondbacks, it's a great colour combo, having said that, it does need the right shade of copper to tie the colours together and separate them as they bleed into each other, and either Porter Paints or Gliddens choice of Copper Kettle would be a great choice. Both work well with both the main colours.

I wouldn't even bother with either wordmark, and just use the A, as it's far more evocative than both the D-BACKS or the ARIZONA wordmark, with it's Southwestern style and the four peaks. It also keeps the two main colours separated.

I let this sit for a few days largely because of my work schedule, but also because I wanted to look through any C&C and make some adjustments. I ended up going in a different direction almost entirely with the D-Backs. I didn't want to have them be a pinstripe team, but I did get rid of the D-Backs wordmark in favor of the A logo, as well as incorporating a lighter copper color and sleeve piping derived from their older alternate uniforms.

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 4
  • Applause 1

37 minutes ago, Djruggs said:

I let this sit for a few days largely because of my work schedule, but also because I wanted to look through any C&C and make some adjustments. I ended up going in a different direction almost entirely with the D-Backs. I didn't want to have them be a pinstripe team, but I did get rid of the D-Backs wordmark in favor of the A logo, as well as incorporating a lighter copper color and sleeve piping derived from their older alternate uniforms.

I will always be behind getting rid of D-Backs

ZUH86xc.png

Next up, we have the Washington Nationals. 

The Nats have a brand that is by far the most unsure of itself in the MLB. I based these off the most recent white and blue uniforms added to their list of mismatched jerseys and cut down on the usage of their Walgreens logo by limiting it to the cap and sleeve patch.

C&C always appreciated.

• Like 7

• Djruggs changed the title to MLB Redesigns and Tweaks (Nationals Added 8/24)

Next up is the Reds.

I know a lot of people want them to get rid of the black and drop shadow, but they're a part of their brand and have been since the club's early days. For their overall look, as many uniforms in this series are, it's a mix of old and new.

C&C always appreciated.

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 7

• Djruggs changed the title to MLB Redesigns and Tweaks (Reds Added 9/24)

Nice job on both the Nats and Reds. However, you might end up having to change the player name on the back of those Nats jerseys by the end of the day...

Speaking of the Nats, I think it's a little redundant to have three jerseys that use the "Nationals" script. I know you said you wanted to minimize the usage of the Walgreens "W" so maybe you could base one of the alts off this design (minus the flag within the "D.C.," of course)?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, coco1997 said:

Nice job on both the Nats and Reds. However, you might end up having to change the player name on the back of those Nats jerseys by the end of the day...

Speaking of the Nats, I think it's a little redundant to have three jerseys that use the "Nationals" script. I know you said you wanted to minimize the usage of the Walgreens "W" so maybe you could base one of the alts off this design (minus the flag within the "D.C.," of course)?

Lol yeah, I wanted to get that one out before the deadline so I didn't have to change it.

As for the DC logo, I'm not a fan of that design at all and thought they were right to all but get rid of it. However, I don't mind them having 3 "Nationals" jerseys given that they're able to be used interchangeably at home.

The Nats are good. I do think the interlocking DC logo should be on there somewhere, it's a nice logo and would look good on the sleeves.

As for the Reds, getting rid of the black would lift the set. The team have worn just red for much of their history and then there is the Big Red Machine. It's also odd seeing a Reds set without either a Pullover or a Sleeveless shirt considering the Reds are one of the first teams that come to mind when you mention either.

1 hour ago, VampyrRabbitDesign said:

The Nats are good. I do think the interlocking DC logo should be on there somewhere, it's a nice logo and would look good on the sleeves.

As for the Reds, getting rid of the black would lift the set. The team have worn just red for much of their history and then there is the Big Red Machine. It's also odd seeing a Reds set without either a Pullover or a Sleeveless shirt considering the Reds are one of the first teams that come to mind when you mention either.

Yeah, I understand not everyone likes the black, but the Reds have had black/navy in the color scheme more than they haven't and I like the look of it, personally.

As for the vests, that trend has been dead for about 15 years now, especially since the Rockies (the MLB's last holdover) retired the black vest this season. And as someone who played in one, I never really cared for the look.

On 7/31/2022 at 10:44 AM, Djruggs said:

Realling diggin' this, it's a nice blend of new school and old school. Bringing back the snake scale piping on the sleeves was a nice touch!

For the Pirates, we have another case of a mix of old and new. I used their 60's stirrups, 70s sleeve cuffs, and current word marks. I also opted not to used yellow or black pants because I think they look like softball pants.

spacer.pngspacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 6

• Djruggs changed the title to MLB Redesigns and Tweaks (Pirates Added 10/24)

Oakland looks great, the only thing I could say is I just miss the the tail on the scripts, I think that completes the look.

All of the changes for Arizona are upgrades. I personally prefer brick red over purple, but the uniform you made is about as good as you can get with that color scheme, in my mind.

I like the Nationals, I would just keep a white outline around the away wordmark, to differentiate from all of the other navy & red teams.

I’m interested to see what you have up next!

On 8/5/2022 at 4:58 PM, MJD7 said:

Oakland looks great, the only thing I could say is I just miss the the tail on the scripts, I think that completes the look.

All of the changes for Arizona are upgrades. I personally prefer brick red over purple, but the uniform you made is about as good as you can get with that color scheme, in my mind.

I like the Nationals, I would just keep a white outline around the away wordmark, to differentiate from all of the other navy & red teams.

I’m interested to see what you have up next!

Thank you!

But yeah, full disclosure, I took the tail off the Oakland wordmarks because I couldn't get them to fit on my template without making the wordmarks tiny, so I bit the bullet and just removed them.

• Like 1

The Rays are a really straight forward rebrand (debrand?). I'm not reverting them back to the Devil Rays, but I am bringing back the uniform style, basing the jersey off the never worn, prototyped black jersey. Normally for the full rebrands, I would present a minimum of 4 jerseys, but after playing around with a purple jersey, I decided against it.

C&C always welcome.

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 6

• Djruggs changed the title to MLB Redesigns and Tweaks (Rays Added 11/24)

I think you could make that purple color replace black as the base color, to be honest.

Otherwise, it looks good! I've never been a fan of the Rays' original wordmarks myself (other than the gradient), but I would understand if they ever went back to that look, given the popularity of the throwback.

12 minutes ago, MJD7 said:

I think you could make that purple color replace black as the base color, to be honest.

Otherwise, it looks good! I've never been a fan of the Rays' original wordmarks myself (other than the gradient), but I would understand if they ever went back to that look, given the popularity of the throwback.

Thank you!

Yeah, I played around with the purple and I found it just washed out the gradients on the wordmarks. I wanted it to work, but it just didn't.

As for the popularity of the throwbacks, I'm a Red Sox fan and even I have an old Devil Rays jersey lol

• Like 1

These are great, I really like what you did with the Diamond Backs and Guardians. The D-Backs look best in their original, retro colors. 

One thing I don't think anyone has successfully done yet or one that I have seen, that I would love to see someone attempt is a full rebrand of the Rockies. I'm from Colorado, and I have never been a fan of the purple. What I've always thought they should do is rebrand their colors and logo to accent the Colorado Flag, like what the nuggets did with their rebrand a few years back. If you live in Colorado or have ever been to the state, you'll know just how much the state flag is a part of the culture there. It's literally branded on everything you can think of that is local to the state. 

I think rebranding the team to have a logo that draws or is inspired by the iconic Colorado "C" logo on the flag, would link them more the the state, and be worn proudly by the locals, the way the dodgers LA hat is so integrated into Los Angeles culture and style. 

The Marlins are another straight forward team. I really like their current logos and word marks, but they need to return to the Florida colors.

I tried to play around with the cap logo as well, but I just couldn't get it to a point where it looked better than the predominantly black M.

As for the name on the back, I opted to just have "Marlins" on the back because I couldn't be bothered to try and fit Jazz's name on the back lol

C&C always welcome.

• Like 6

• Djruggs changed the title to MLB Redesigns and Tweaks (Marlins Added 12/24)
2 hours ago, Djruggs said:

The Marlins are another straight forward team. I really like their current logos and word marks, but they need to return to the Florida colors.

I tried to play around with the cap logo as well, but I just couldn't get it to a point where it looked better than the predominantly black M.

As for the name on the back, I opted to just have "Marlins" on the back because I couldn't be bothered to try and fit Jazz's name on the back lol

C&C always welcome.

THIS is what the Marlins should be wearing (although I don't mind the current colors)

ZUH86xc.png