infrared41's Best and Worst NFL Week Four - 2022

The setup.

• There are no hard, fast rules. There is no formula. The lists are based solely on which games I think looked the best and which games I think looked the worst each week. A team that made the worst list one week could end up on the best list the following week and vice versa. (Looking at you Seattle and Buffalo)
  • In my humble opinion,  "a good color match up" does not necessarily  make for a good uniform match up. That said, there will be weeks when I'll put a game on the best list because I liked the color match up.
  • I don't care about socks. (except when I do)  Do I wish teams would always go with the best sock for the uniform? Of course, but socks are not something I get too worked up about. (except when I do)
  • As always, your opinion (including the idea that nice colors make for a good match up) may differ from mine and that's perfectly fine. All I ask is that we keep the conversation civil. 

Running way behind so real quick, this was the...ahem...weakest week of the season so far. Not a lot to work with. We had a one great looking game, a few solid looking games, a whole lot of horrible uniform vs. good looking uniform, and of course, the Commandos. Let's go to the big board.

BEST

1. Chiefs - Bucs: The Bucs could have sent this one off the rails with the pewter color rush debacle. Thankfully, they didn't. I like that they went with white over pewter at home. Tampa's home set combined with the Chiefs in red pants wouldn't  have looked quite as good,

PW9YXTH.jpg

2. Patriots - Packers: Dare I say it, but I think New England's road set is growing on me. With the right match up, it works. Never change, Packers.

nlfJiQg.jpg

3. Bears - Giants: A classic example of why there are times the Bears should go all white on the road. The two shades of blue don't fight with each other too much, but I still think the Bears in all white gives this game a better color  balance. I've mentioned that I'm not as crazy about the Giants throwbacks as a lot of people are, but it's still a solid uniform.

TK5QMWK.jpg

4. Chargers - Texans: This one would have higher on the list if the Chargers had gone with the gold pants. It was a solid match up that rode a...ahem...weak week to #4 on the best list.

ihCuxYP.jpg

WORST

The Washington Commanders: There should be a law against this.

SCHpfWi.jpg

Vp3eRk7.jpg

That's it for this week. Thanks for dropping by. I'll do my best to be more timely next week.

• Like 6

BB52Big.jpg

Not much to say about this week, the top 2 matchups were great but then it kind of seemed to fall off from there. I’m surprised more people don’t love the Patriots uniforms, though, I think if they had a silver pants option they’d be very nearly perfect.

My personal list would probably be:

BEST

1. Patriots at Packers

2. Chiefs at Buccaneers

HONORABLE MENTIONS

1. Chargers at Texans

2. Browns at Falcons

3. Dolphins at Bengals

WORST

1. Commanders at Cowboys

2. Saints

Disagree about the Bears wearing all white.  Maybe since the first time I ever saw the Bears was in SBXX when they wore the navy pants, but that is the Bears road uniform to me and I personally find the all white to be distracting because it looks like a mistake.  I thought I'd like those Giants throwbacks a lot more than I actually do.  I'm not the biggest fan of their current look at all, but it's better for them than this particular throwback is.  I will agree that the mismatch in blues (it kinda looks like even the navies are different... no?) makes it look odd.  So much so that to me it wouldn't be in my personal top 5.

I'd consider giving this an honorable mention:

q2psfrwf1wrnmqosvrja.jpg

And either of the games with the mono-purple would get nods on the worst part.

• Hurl 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I vastly prefer the Bears in all white. 

Ranking the Chicago Bears of 2000-09: Which Teams Were the Best and Worst?  | News, Scores, Highlights, Stats, and Rumors | Bleacher Report

There's something about the navy pants that never looks right to me.

With you on the Giants' '80s throwbacks not being amazing. I prefer the matching helmet/jersey and grey pants. 

• Like 2

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

2 hours ago, the admiral said:

I vastly prefer the Bears in all white. 

Ranking the Chicago Bears of 2000-09: Which Teams Were the Best and Worst?  | News, Scores, Highlights, Stats, and Rumors | Bleacher Report

There's something about the navy pants that never looks right to me.

With you on the Giants' '80s throwbacks not being amazing. I prefer the matching helmet/jersey and grey pants. 

And that picture looks really bad to me.  Maybe if they had navy socks?  I just can't see the Bears not having a lot of dark navy whenever they play, and the pants are really the only way to get that with the white jersey.  You've obviously watched more Bears games than I have so the white on white is more normal to you, but it never will be for me.

I think of it exactly like I used to when the R-words would go white on white rather than white on burgundy.  White on burgundy was the look I grew up with, and white on white looked like a practice uniform to me, or like they forgot to bring the right pants.

• Like 3

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

3 hours ago, BBTV said:

And either of the games with the mono-purple would get nods on the worst part.

My lists are based on both teams. If one team looks terrible and the other team looks great, they cancel each other out. For example, the Browns looked great and the Falcons looked ridiculous. Which list does that game make? I can't penalize the Browns because the Falcons looked stupid and I'm not rewarding the Falcons because the Browns looked great.

BB52Big.jpg

14 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

My lists are based on both teams. If one team looks terrible and the other team looks great, they cancel each other out. For example, the Browns looked great and the Falcons looked ridiculous. Which list does that game make? I can't penalize the Browns because the Falcons looked stupid and I'm not rewarding the Falcons because the Browns looked great.

That's fair. I tend to look at the game as a whole, and in my admittedly completely-arbitrary scoring system, if it hurts my eyes to watch a game then it doesn't matter if one team looks great.  But that's just my system... which means nothing in this thread since it's not my list.  Your way works too.