Unusual Dugout & Batting Practice Jacket Designs

Lately, I've become fascinated by the existence of MLB dugout and batting practice jackets that feature design elements found nowhere else in their respective team's identity. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to exist a book or website dedicated solely to cataloging dugout and/or BP jackets the way many are dedicated to uniforms.

A few examples of what I'm describing:

- The Giants' 1980 batting practice jackets featuring trolleys on the sleeves

- The White Sox wearing green dugout jackets in the 1930s despite having never worn green as a primary team color

- The "zig zag" design on the sleeves of the Pirates' 1979 dugout jackets

Can anyone think of any other examples like this?

• Like 4

I don't know if this is what you have in mind, but the only example I can think of off hand is that during the 70s, the Orioles wore jackets with a tail under the wordmark.  The wordmark used on the jerseys in that era did not have a tail.

spacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 3

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

The 1970s Pirates apparently weren't afraid to wander off the map, as they also had this script "Pirates" jacket.

61OhK9bv0rL.jpg

The Twins used this script "Minnesota" in the 1960s.

The Move to Minnesota | SPORTS TEAM HISTORY

This is probably more due to cheapness than anything else, but the Mariners kept their jackets with the original 70s team wordmark for a few years after they'd switched to the 80s-style lettering on the jersey tops.

Mark Langston - Seattle Mariners | Seattle sports, Mariners baseball,  Oakland athletics

• Like 2

6 hours ago, leopard88 said:

I don't know if this is what you have in mind, but the only example I can think of off hand is that during the 70s, the Orioles wore jackets with a tail under the wordmark.  The wordmark used on the jerseys in that era did not have a tail.

spacer.pngspacer.png

That definitely counts! I'm sure I've seen that particular jacket a dozen times before but never made the connection that it had a tail, unlike the O's uniforms at the time.

4 hours ago, eastfirst107 said:

The 1970s Pirates apparently weren't afraid to wander off the map, as they also had this script "Pirates" jacket.

61OhK9bv0rL.jpg

The Twins used this script "Minnesota" in the 1960s.

The Move to Minnesota | SPORTS TEAM HISTORY

This is probably more due to cheapness than anything else, but the Mariners kept their jackets with the original 70s team wordmark for a few years after they'd switched to the 80s-style lettering on the jersey tops.

Mark Langston - Seattle Mariners | Seattle sports, Mariners baseball,  Oakland athletics

These are all great. I wonder if anyone has ever recreated that "Pirates" script. And while the Twins one wasn't actually worn on a uniform, it was their wordmark logo from 1961-65

Here are a few more I've discovered:

The 1949 Phillies used a "P" with a shadow (it's also a different "P" than their cap logo):
PHL45J-front_1024x1024.jpg?v=1632420495

The '47 Yankees used a script "Yankees" trimmed in red:
il_1588xN.2762129665_i6j5.jpg

The Reds used this gorgeous script "Cincinnati" with "Reds" inside the tail in 1969:
CIN50J_01_1024x1024.jpg?v=1671065006

• Like 1

All good examples of why I hate that most players now wear templated hoodies in the dugout.

• Like 9

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

On 12/15/2022 at 3:13 PM, coco1997 said:

Lately, I've become fascinated by the existence of MLB dugout and batting practice jackets that feature design elements found nowhere else in their respective team's identity. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to exist a book or website dedicated solely to cataloging dugout and/or BP jackets the way many are dedicated to uniforms.

A few examples of what I'm describing:

- The Giants' 1980 batting practice jackets featuring trolleys on the sleeves

- The White Sox wearing green dugout jackets in the 1930s despite having never worn green as a primary team color

- The "zig zag" design on the sleeves of the Pirates' 1979 dugout jackets

Can anyone think of any other examples like this?

As a Chicago resident who is more than likely moving near Sox Park (even CTA calls it that), I may have to get that green jacket.

• Like 1

Man, that ‘49 Phillies jacket is a beauty. 

This thread is a terrific reminder of how beautiful and unique baseball aesthetics were. This is why I am here. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Dr. Kelso: My son is a big baseball fan. Not so much playing it, but more the designing and sewing of uniforms.

Tyler: That's neat.

Dr. Kelso: No, it's not.