Inspired by Ebbets Field Flannels' new line of vintage baseball sweaters, I wanted to close out 2022 with a fun little series that brings those designs into the modern day. I added a Nike swoosh to the front of the sweaters to reinforce that these are not just throwbacks, but modern updates. I should also mention that I'll also only be doing teams who were actually around in the 1920s-30 (when this style of sweaters was still being worn). Big thanks to @Victormrey for helping me out with the long-sleeved sweater template. 

Starting off with a combination AL & NL West, all of whose teams have since relocated to other cites:

(OAKLAND) A's:

A-s-Sweater-Modern-Day-w-band.png

A green and gold design with double breasted elephants inspired by these Philadelphia A's sweaters.

(LOS ANGELES) DODGERS:

Dodgers-Sweater-Modern-Day-w-band.png

This design is based on this Brooklyn Robins' sweater, with the Dodgers'  "LA" replacing Brooklyn's block "B."

(SAN FRANCISCOS) GIANTS:
Giants-Sweater-Modern-Day-w-band.png

San Francisco's look is actually a combination of two designs: this earlier one which features contrasting pockets, and this later one which is primarily blue with red trim (or in this case, black with orange). 

C&C appreciated! 

• Like 5
  • Love 3

20 hours ago, VampyrRabbit said:

Nice. Only change I would make is a white button for the Dodgers hat.

Thanks! The Dodgers' squatchee color has been corrected. Good eye. 

Next up is the NL Central!

CARDINALS:
Cardinals-Modern-Day-Sweater-w-band.png

The Cards' design features a funky "STL" that was unique to the sweaters worn by the team from 1924-26. 

CUBS:
Cubs-Sweater-Modern-Day-w-band.png

Inspired by this look from 1911, I added a red stroke to the bear-with-a-bat "C." 

PIRATES:
Pirates-Sweater-Modern-Day-w-band.png

The Pirates design is an update of this gray & navy look from 1911. 

REDS:
Reds-Sweater-Modern-Day-w-band.png

A pretty straightforward solid red design with wishbone "C" for the Reds, based on this 1911 design

C&C appreciated, and I hope everyone has a safe and memorable New Year's Eve celebration! 

• Like 3
  • Love 2
  • Applause 2

• coco1997 changed the title to Bringing Back MLB Warmup Sweaters (NL Central 12/31)

This is such a great concept for a series! Despite sharing the same template and base style, each team is getting an unique design.

My fav one so far is the A's with the two elephants and the Cards with that obscure monogram 💯

All in all, great research to find fitting combinations and logos for each team! I can't wait to see more.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Victormrey said:

This is such a great concept for a series! Despite sharing the same template and base style, each team is getting an unique design.

My fav one so far is the A's with the two elephants and the Cards with that obscure monogram 💯

All in all, great research to find fitting combinations and logos for each team! I can't wait to see more.

Thanks! And thank you again for helping me with the template!

I'm back today with the AL East!

YANKEES:
Yankees-Sweater-Modern-Day-w-band.png

This Yankees design was worn by the 1927 championship team and uses a block "YANKEES" wordmark.

Red-Sox-Sweater-Modern-Day-w-band.png

Boston's set features a non-arched version of their "Red Sox" script, based on this 1917 ensemble

ORIOLES:

Orioles-Sweater-Modern-Day-w-band.png

Though the O's did not exist until 1954, their lineage traces back to the St. Louis Browns, so this design is based on what the Browns wore in 1909

C&C appreciated! 

• Like 3
  • Love 2
  • Applause 1

• coco1997 changed the title to Bringing Back MLB Warmup Sweaters (AL East 1/4)

That Orioles jacket is really nice :D

Don't know if it'd be a downgrade or not, but did you consider the 1901 Orioles O instead of the B?

Also quite like the Cubs one; always a pleasure to see that logo.

I think I'd rather see the Pirates in gray with black trim; it'd closer match that original inspiration.

Any chance you'd do the Angels or Padres since they were around in the PCL in the '20s and '30s too?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, vtgco said:

That Orioles jacket is really nice :D

Don't know if it'd be a downgrade or not, but did you consider the 1901 Orioles O instead of the B?

Also quite like the Cubs one; always a pleasure to see that logo.

I think I'd rather see the Pirates in gray with black trim; it'd closer match that original inspiration.

Any chance you'd do the Angels or Padres since they were around in the PCL in the '20s and '30s too?

Thanks! Here are the Orioles with the 1901 "O:"

Orioles-Sweater-Modern-Day-w-band-O-logo

I think it's kind of a lateral move.

As for your Pirates suggestion, I really wanted to keep the black and gold, since those colors are so synonymous with the Pirates at this point. 

I didn't think about doing the Angels or Padres, but it's a good suggestion given the PCL connection. If you can find any reference photos of either team wearing warmup sweaters from that time period, I'd be glad to try it! 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, coco1997 said:

Thanks! Here are the Orioles with the 1901 "O:" I think it's kind of a lateral move.

As for your Pirates suggestion, I really wanted to keep the black and gold, since those colors are so synonymous with the Pirates at this point. 

I didn't think about doing the Angels or Padres, but it's a good suggestion given the PCL connection. If you can find any reference photos of either team wearing warmup sweaters from that time period, I'd be glad to try it! 

Yeah, I agree, not really any better or worse with that O.

I'm not sure how far you're willing to stretch the time period, the style, or the quality of evidence, but here are some things from a short search...

ANGELS

All navy blue jacket from 1910s?

Baseball Cards:Singles (Pre-1930), One-of-a-Kind 1910 E221 Bishop & Co. Los Angeles Angels (Purple)13-Players PCL Team Card - The Only Known Example! ...

Can't tell if it's a long sleeve in-game jersey, a practice jersey, or a jacket, but this navy blue top from 1911:

http://home.myfairpoint.net/vintagecatcher/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/1911ABBOTT.jpg

Not sure if it's a true recreation of a real life jacket or a fauxback, but Ebbets Field & Cooperstown made this '40s-style once:

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/vintage-1930s-1940s-los-angeles-487671281

Angels definitely wore this jacket in the '40s:

lighter

Might just be a warmup jersey, 1950s:

lighter

And an Ebbets Field recreation of a '43 (?) groundskeeper jacket

EbbetsFieldFlannelsLosAngelesAngels_PCL_GroundsCrewJacketNAVY__1_495b3a81-c24a-4e7f-bfbe-1ddf6cb46317_720x.jpeg?v=1661906102

PADRES

Padres definitely wore a warmup jacket in 1948:

s-l1600.jpg

Padres wearing two different styles in '41, one might be for warmup?

lighter

• Like 1

On 1/4/2023 at 4:47 PM, vtgco said:

Yeah, I agree, not really any better or worse with that O.

I'm not sure how far you're willing to stretch the time period, the style, or the quality of evidence, but here are some things from a short search...

ANGELS

All navy blue jacket from 1910s?

Baseball Cards:Singles (Pre-1930), One-of-a-Kind 1910 E221 Bishop & Co. Los Angeles Angels (Purple)13-Players PCL Team Card - The Only Known Example! ...

Can't tell if it's a long sleeve in-game jersey, a practice jersey, or a jacket, but this navy blue top from 1911:

http://home.myfairpoint.net/vintagecatcher/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/1911ABBOTT.jpg

Not sure if it's a true recreation of a real life jacket or a fauxback, but Ebbets Field & Cooperstown made this '40s-style once:

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/vintage-1930s-1940s-los-angeles-487671281

Angels definitely wore this jacket in the '40s:

lighter

Might just be a warmup jersey, 1950s:

lighter

And an Ebbets Field recreation of a '43 (?) groundskeeper jacket

EbbetsFieldFlannelsLosAngelesAngels_PCL_GroundsCrewJacketNAVY__1_495b3a81-c24a-4e7f-bfbe-1ddf6cb46317_720x.jpeg?v=1661906102

PADRES

Padres definitely wore a warmup jacket in 1948:

s-l1600.jpg

Padres wearing two different styles in '41, one might be for warmup?

lighter

Thanks for that research! I think there's enough material here that I should be able to come up with something for the Padres and Angels. 

Up next is the NL East:

PHILLIES:
Phillies-Sweater-Modern-Day-w-band.png

A straightforward, solid red look for the Phils based on this design (year unknown). 

METS:
Mets-Sweater-Modern-Day-w-band.png

Yes, I'm aware that the Mets didn't exist until 1962, so this Mets design is based on the two New York Giants sweaters I previously posted. 

BRAVES:
Braves-Sweater-Modern-Day-w-script-B-red

I had to take a bit more artistic liberty with the Braves, since the only Boston Braves sweater I could find was bi-color (red and white) with a block "B" logo. This design adds navy and uses a script "B."

NATIONALS:
Nationals-Sweater-Modern-Day.png

There is a rich history of Major League Baseball in D.C., so this design adapts this Senators look from 1910-15. 

C&C appreciated! I'll wrap things up with the AL Central next. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

• coco1997 changed the title to Bringing Back MLB Warmup Sweaters (NL East 1/6)

No complaints for the NL East; solid looks all around. I almost feel like the beveled wordmark's W from 2005 would work well to emulate that Senators blackletter W...?

Looking forward to the AL Central, if that's in the works!

• Like 1

On 1/10/2023 at 3:26 PM, vtgco said:

No complaints for the NL East; solid looks all around. I almost feel like the beveled wordmark's W from 2005 would work well to emulate that Senators blackletter W...?

Looking forward to the AL Central, if that's in the works!

Thanks! I tried the Nats with the 2005 wordmark's "W" as you suggested:

Nationals-Sweater-Modern-Day-w-2005-W.pn

It doesn't look right to me because the "W" is so narrow, but it was worth trying out. 

Finishing up today with the AL Central:

GUARDIANS:
Guardians-Sweater-Modern-Day-w-band.png

My Guardians design infuses red into these Cleveland Naps sweaters from 1910. 

WHITE SOX:

White-Sox-Sweater-Modern-Day-w-plackeet.

The South Siders are based on this interesting red and navy look from 1914. I recreated the jersey design by combining their 1976 scripts with the "SOX" from their Field of Dreams throwbacks

TIGERS:
Tigers-Sweater-Modern-Day-w-band.png

I took a little more liberty than usual with this 1919-inspired design, going primarily navy in place of gray and adding a touch of orange. 

C&C appreciated, and thanks for following! I might take @vtgco's suggestion of coming up with Angels and Padres PCL-inspired designs when I find some time. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Applause 1

• coco1997 changed the title to Bringing Back MLB Warmup Sweaters (AL Central 1/14)

Thanks for trying that Nationals look. I think it works okay but I agree it's a bit off; certainly the outline helped make it a reasonable size on those 2005 jerseys but I dunno if it'd work here.

Love the banner (and the return of the classic chest logo RIP) for Detroit, though it could stand to be a touch larger compared to the D.

White Sox look great but your reference photo makes me wish for a sleeve patch for them. (And I guess also for the Browns-style Orioles!)

• Like 1

• 10 months later...
On 1/17/2023 at 11:27 PM, vtgco said:

Thanks for trying that Nationals look. I think it works okay but I agree it's a bit off; certainly the outline helped make it a reasonable size on those 2005 jerseys but I dunno if it'd work here.

Love the banner (and the return of the classic chest logo RIP) for Detroit, though it could stand to be a touch larger compared to the D.

White Sox look great but your reference photo makes me wish for a sleeve patch for them. (And I guess also for the Browns-style Orioles!

On 1/18/2023 at 4:40 PM, GrayJ12 said:

I love this idea so much! How you are able to create such unique ideas is awesome. The Cubs one looks fantastic too ;)

The A's one, with the elephant on both sides, is great and unique too.

Thank you both!

Surprise! After nearly a year, I decided to revisit this series, inspired by some of @vtgco's suggestions:

BREWERS:

Brewers-Sweater-w-outlined-pockets.png

This very Michigan-esque design is based on this American Association Brewers look from 1936. Note the sweaters worn by the players in the back two rows. 

ANGELS:

Angels-Sweater.png

As vtgco noted, the Pacific Coast League Los Angeles Angels existed in the early 20th century. I was able to find a photo of an 1917 Angels player wearing a solid-colored (navy?) sweater and paired it with an early interlocking "LA" logo. 

PADRES:

Padres-Sweater.png

The PCL Padres got their start in 1936. Unfortunately, I couldn't find any reference photos of sweaters from that far back, so this design is based on the 1948 team's dugout jackets. 

C&C appreciated! 

• Like 4
  • Love 2

• coco1997 changed the title to Bringing Back MLB Warmup Sweaters (Brewers, Angels, Padres Added 11/25)

All the new designs are great, just what I was hoping for!

If you're hoping to avoid the Michigan-ness of the Brewers, you could have the M outline in cream instead of yellow and/or make the M taller and/or incorporate a wheat stalk like @sfgiants58 has done? Also can't tell from the image whether a solid counter-colored pocket would fit more than the outline version.

Also that Angels picture you found is hilarious; I would not want to play baseball or even stretch in a heavy corduroy (or knit? I can't tell) sweater with a puffy hood! Makes for good inspiration though!

• Like 1

These are honestly perfect for what you're going for. I love seeing expansion teams acknowledging the baseball history that existed in their city before the big leagues arrived.

Even the Brewers one is growing on me. I think rendering the M navy-on-navy helps it look not SO much like a Michigan sweater.

• Like 1

On 11/27/2023 at 10:49 AM, Victormrey said:

Great to see these concepts back!

I think the three new designs look great, but you specially nailed the vibe with the Brewers and the block "M"! Also, I'm a big fan of the circle patch for the Padres 👌🏻

On 11/28/2023 at 9:42 PM, MilSox said:

These are honestly perfect for what you're going for. I love seeing expansion teams acknowledging the baseball history that existed in their city before the big leagues arrived.

Even the Brewers one is growing on me. I think rendering the M navy-on-navy helps it look not SO much like a Michigan sweater.

Thank you both!

On 11/27/2023 at 1:01 PM, vtgco said:

All the new designs are great, just what I was hoping for!

If you're hoping to avoid the Michigan-ness of the Brewers, you could have the M outline in cream instead of yellow and/or make the M taller and/or incorporate a wheat stalk like @sfgiants58 has done? Also can't tell from the image whether a solid counter-colored pocket would fit more than the outline version.

Also that Angels picture you found is hilarious; I would not want to play baseball or even stretch in a heavy corduroy (or knit? I can't tell) sweater with a puffy hood! Makes for good inspiration though!

Thanks! Since I wasn't really down for creating new logos for this series, here's the Brewers with the "M" outlined in cream and solid yellow pockets:

Brewers-Sweater-w-M.png

I also have two new designs today, the Royals and an update on my original Braves design:

ROYALS:

Royals-Sweater.png

This one stretches the premise of the series just a bit, but I figured the Royals throw back to the Monarchs frequently enough that they could justify using a Monarchs monogram on their hypothetical sweater.

BRAVES:

Braves-Sweater-Modern-Day-w-shield.png

I took my original Atlanta design and replaced the script "B" with the shield from this 1915 Boston Braves sweater while using the Old English "A" from my What if Every MLB Team Kept Its Original Look Braves concept.

C&C appreciated!

• Like 3
  • Love 1

• coco1997 changed the title to Bringing Back MLB Warmup Sweaters (Royals & Braves Update 12/2)

Love that Atlanta one! Makes me want to see a whole blackletter-themed rebrand for them haha

Eh, I guess the cream is a bit out of place for Milwaukee; I guess a cream Nike swoosh would help a bit but maybe not enough. Thanks for humoring me.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, vtgco said:

Love that Atlanta one! Makes me want to see a whole blackletter-themed rebrand for them haha

Eh, I guess the cream is a bit out of place for Milwaukee; I guess a cream Nike swoosh would help a bit but maybe not enough. Thanks for humoring me.

No problem! I was happy to try it out.