Detroit Lions Concept Uniforms 2023

mahnkej

According to an NFL source, Detroit has submitted paperwork to update their uniforms for the 2023 season.  According to the article:

"Per NFL Source, The Lions have submitted paperwork to the NFL to redo their uniforms. The prevailing thought is the Lions will be combining their current throwbacks with their current Lions logo with a modern twist on the jersey that would look similar to the Sims/Sanders years.”

If true, this is fantastic news. Detroit has some decent, albeit unspectacular, uniforms currently - definitely an upgrade from the previous-generation ones, but still inferior to their 90's look IMO. As such, my take on the Lions combines some of my favorite aspects from different eras that I think would mesh well together.

• Uniform is upgraded to the newer Nike Vapor Fusion template
  • Player name/number font switches to a modified version of the look from the Megatron years
  • Home uniforms go back to using white numbers with silver trim. Steel grey is no longer used in the palette at all
  • "Lions" and "WCF" wordmarks get moved from the sleeves, to the chest and helmet bumpers respectively
  • Helmet and pants swtich from a 5-stripe Northwestern  pattern, to the traditional 3-stripe pattern from the Barry Sanders era. I also brought back Honolulu blue facemasks
  • With the one-helmet rule no longer in effect, I made a blue alternate helmet featuring an oversized logo, a la the Missouri Tigers. Facemask is a chrome silver color (I know these are MS Paint templates... use your imagination)
  • Dumped the terrible steel grey alternate uniform and created a new silver alternate in its place. This jersey pays homage to Detroit's famous automotive industry, using "Motor City" wordmarks on the jerseys and helmets. I also made a modernized version of the classic lions logo, and used this on the sleeves
  • Throwback jersey stays exactly as is, as IMO this might still be Detroit's best look

Comments/feedback welcome!

A9xOkso.png

M01OAzB.png

5clUXn3.png

j4s44vy.png

vRs3Emz.png

• Like 5

14 hours ago, mahnkej said:

According to an NFL source, Detroit has submitted paperwork to update their uniforms for the 2023 season.  According to the article:

"Per NFL Source, The Lions have submitted paperwork to the NFL to redo their uniforms. The prevailing thought is the Lions will be combining their current throwbacks with their current Lions logo with a modern twist on the jersey that would look similar to the Sims/Sanders years.”

If true, this is fantastic news. Detroit has some decent, albeit unspectacular, uniforms currently - definitely an upgrade from the previous-generation ones, but still inferior to their 90's look IMO. As such, my take on the Lions combines some of my favorite aspects from different eras that I think would mesh well together.

• Player name/number font switches to a modified version of the look from the Megatron years
  • Home uniforms go back to using white numbers with silver trim. Steel grey is no longer used in the palette at all
  • "Lions" and "WCF" wordmarks get moved from the sleeves, to the chest and helmet bumpers respectively
  • Helmet and pants swtich from a 5-stripe Northwestern  pattern, to the traditional 3-stripe pattern from the Barry Sanders era. I also brought back Honolulu blue facemasks
  • With the one-helmet rule no longer in effect, I made a blue alternate helmet featuring an oversized logo, a la the Missouri Tigers. Facemask is a chrome silver color (I know these are MS Paint templates... use your imagination)
  • Dumped the terrible steel grey alternate uniform and created a new silver alternate in its place. This jersey pays homage to Detroit's famous automotive industry, using "Motor City" wordmarks on the jerseys and helmets. I also made a modernized version of the classic lions logo, and used this on the sleeves
  • Throwback jersey stays exactly as is, as IMO this might still be Detroit's best look

Z8hgt9E.png

HM6Fwta.png

EFcygB2.png

4nzstrF.png

9Z0kDBL.png

I would subtract the grey jersey, the white pants, and the white socks, none of which teams can be trusted with these days. 

On 1/6/2023 at 12:59 AM, mahnkej said:

Z8hgt9E.png

HM6Fwta.png

EFcygB2.png

4nzstrF.png

9Z0kDBL.png

You mean their 1975-1981; 1982-2002 look right? The uniform was around for a long time and Sims was on the team from 1980-1984, not 1990-1994. Barry from 1989-1998. Just to clear up your confusion,

1975_Detroit.png

1981_Detroit.png

1982_Detroit.png

2002_Detroit.png

Sorry for the images, but this is to visually clarify your post and correct you before anyone else reads your post and get dates wrong.

However, I would use their current numbers, but white with a silver trim if you want the 1982-2002 look. Otherwise, silver with a white trim could be the classic 1975-1981 look.

Reason why I say 1975-2002 is because in 1975, they lightened the blue to what we know now. Why you ask? Well because before 1975, the Lions jerseys was a more cobalt blue like.

On 1/8/2023 at 4:54 PM, Silver_Star said:

You mean their 1975-1981; 1982-2002 look right? The uniform was around for a long time and Sims was on the team from 1980-1984, not 1990-1994. Barry from 1989-1998. Just to clear up your confusion,

1975_Detroit.png

1981_Detroit.png

1982_Detroit.png

2002_Detroit.png

Sorry for the images, but this is to visually clarify your post and correct you before anyone else reads your post and get dates wrong.

However, I would use their current numbers, but white with a silver trim if you want the 1982-2002 look. Otherwise, silver with a white trim could be the classic 1975-1981 look.

Reason why I say 1975-2002 is because in 1975, they lightened the blue to what we know now. Why you ask? Well because before 1975, the Lions jerseys was a more cobalt blue like.

Yeah, I just meant the "Barry Sanders years" generally cause that's what I think when I think of that style of uniform. I was a 90's kid so I grew up watching him dancing circles around defenses, and thinking what a goddamn superhero that dude was. Sims was just what the article referenced, he was way before my time honestly and I wasn't even aware that their 80's jerseys were different. Thanks for clarifying.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, mvk said:

I’ll never understand why the Lions went away from the Barry Sanders era uniforms.  Would be great if they updated back to something similar to what you’ve posted.  Job well

done.

Totally agree, that was their best look. And thank you, I appreciate it!

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/10/2023 at 4:18 AM, mahnkej said:

UPDATE: Used a more traditional block font and dropped the white pants

SDA3Ucp.png

6zPODMQ.png

sY2CBsf.png

DxAo2Pw.png

The standard home & away here are PERFECT.  Good job.  I think this is pretty much what everyone would appreciate seeing.  I think it would be worth them doing a different paint finish on the facemask if reverting back to Blue; maybe just a matte or maybe a chrome.  An anodized Silver with chrome Blue mask & details might be a way to tinker and make it stand out, but it wouldn't require that to be good.

I don't agree with the Blue helmet, the oversized logo on the Blue helmet, or Blue pants; I actually hate the Blue pants in general because the team wears a Silver helmet and the Blue pants create a bottom-heavy, unbalanced look.

I would instead bring back the White pants and offer a White helmet instead of Blue.  I know many don't like the White pants, but my reasoning is this:  if Grey jersey/Grey Pant is the Color Rush alternate, have an "Away" Color Rush option (all White) for when they're on road for a CR game.  This gives them a Penn State-style "White Out" uniform, but also makes the White pants available for their standard Away jersey, and even gives them another home combination in White/Royal/White/Royal.  

• mahnkej changed the title to Detroit Lions Concept Uniforms 2023