World Cup of Hockey: Group H: Slovenia & Finale

colinturner95

IbFdppl.png

Getting the penultimate group out to the masses, a group headlined by a new Olympic champion in Finland, a nation that's finished a couple games shy of a World Cup win, another nation that has won multiple World Cups (and Gold Medals), and finally, a nation that for a long time was known for being the villains in a kid's movie about a plucky hockey team from Minnesota. 

• Finland finally climbed the mountain in 2022 and captured that elusive gold medal and look to claim a new trophy for the case in Helsinki
  • Capturing that World Cup trophy has proven difficult for Portugal, but maybe changing up the playing surface will spark a new set of fortunes. 
  • A long history of winning at football and a history of hockey on wheels, but now Uruguay looks to add a legacy of winning on skates. 
  • The Dentist isn't coaching them, but Iceland proved they can compete with the best in football and looks to do the same in hockey. 

nTW3oPj.png

Like their Scandinavian counterparts, simple and elegant are good descriptors for Finland. Felt no reason to change that, but there are some added modern touches. A solid stripe turns into a linear gradient that fades from navy blue to light blue, which comes from the 2020 Euro kits that featured a more traditional gradient. The alternate sees the return of the Sochi flag jersey, this time in navy with some non-traditional logo placements. 

Spoiler

mu8IgJN.png

C&C welcome!

• Like 4

AmPJ0Ty.png 

• colinturner95 changed the title to World Cup of Hockey: Group G: Intro & Finland

krykKgz.png

Portugal presents an interesting case. They've gone through a couple different federations in terms of leadership, and have carried IIHF associate membership since 1999. To that end, Portugal is really not advancing the game in their country at the moment. So a lot of their look here is very inspired by their football team. A detail stripe now becomes the main look for the team, with a revised crest and subtle detail built off of that. The alternate goes black and is much more modern than the home and away, and features a lighter shade of gold. 

Spoiler

siE3xjR.png

C&C welcome! 

• Like 6

AmPJ0Ty.png 

• colinturner95 changed the title to World Cup of Hockey: Group G: Portugal

J6y8HN1.png

Uruguay's design really was not an issue, it was how I was to differentiate them from Argentina, since both nations utilize black as a secondary/clash color to their shades of light blue. Uruguay basketball has been using navy blue as a clash color in recent years, but I instead turned back the clock and went with a 90s staple as used royal blue as a secondary color. 

Otherwise, the stripes are very much flag inspired, much more literally on the alternate, whilst maintaining a pretty traditional look. 

Spoiler

88aL6fP.png

C&C welcome!

• Like 4

AmPJ0Ty.png 

• colinturner95 changed the title to World Cup of Hockey: Group G: Uruguay
On 1/15/2024 at 6:09 PM, Bomba Tomba said:

I wonder if Iceland will take inspiration from their counterparts in Mighty Ducks

vsVfN0p.png

Definitely not as much as you might think, or really at all outside of using character names as jersey models. Iceland has a very nice color palette and look to begin with, and there wasn't a lot I could do that I felt was a marked improvement. Very traditional all the way around, with the biggest change being the ice blue alternate. 

Spoiler

HNzcwp4.png

That's it for the teams, and to conclude the group:

Pundit's Predictions: Finland has reached the top of the hockey world and I'd expect them to do the same in this group. Unlike other groups we've seen, there's a real chance that any of the remaining 3 teams could slot into second. Portugal feels like a team to watch, coming in as the odds on favorite for second, but dropping 3 games also feels very possible for this squad. Uruguay and Iceland both present as interesting teams who don't have any clear advantages over anyone but can cause chaos. 

Game 1: Finland vs Iceland >>> Iceland comes in with big dreams but Finland stops them for now, routing the Falcons to open play in group G.

Final: 6-1 Finland

Game 2: Portugal vs Uruguay >>> Portugal heard the rat poison and took it personally. In a tight game throughout, Portugal struck first and added an empty netter for insurance to get an opening win. 

Final: 2-0 Portugal 

Game 3: Uruguay vs Finland >>> Finland comes off a huge win, Uruguay off a frustrating loss. The lights might have been a little brighter than the Finns expected, as Uruguay is able to stave off a furious comeback attempt in the 3rd. 

Final 3-2 Uruguay

Game 4: Iceland vs Portugal >>> The defense stayed home for this one as Iceland and Portugal combined for 13 total goals and almost 100 combined shots on net. Ultimately, Iceland was able to snag an extra point with a OT win. 

Final: 7-6 OT Iceland

Game 5: Finland vs Portugal >>> A win for both teams puts them in good position to move on and a loss gets you on a flight home early. Portugal was unable to keep up with the Finns' speed and Finland picks up two points that puts them in the top two. 

Final: 4-1 Finland > Finland clinches a spot in knockout rounds, seeding dependent on Game 6. 

Game 6: Uruguay vs Iceland >>> Another win or go home game. A win for Iceland gets them the second spot, giving Finland the top spot, and a Uruguay win gets them top spot. This game really left the defenses at home, as both teams were fighting to the end, but in this game, it was Uruguay getting a couple more tucks to move on to the round of 16. 

Final: 8-6 Uruguay > Uruguay clinches top seed in group, Finland clinches second seed. 

Spoiler

kq50Pad.png

Just one more group to go!

• Like 3
  • Applause 1

AmPJ0Ty.png 

I really like the design for Iceland! However, the light blue numbers on the navy jersey don’t work the best. I feel like they would be very hard to read in real life. Plain white ones would probably be better if you want to maintain the single color numbers and names. 

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

• colinturner95 changed the title to World Cup of Hockey: Group G: Iceland & Group Results
59 minutes ago, colinturner95 said:

Definitely not as much as you might think, or really at all outside of using character names as jersey models.

That's fine, very nice look regardless, one of my faves of the bunch. Color scheme reminds me of the BMW racing stripes especially the home

bmw-m4-with-m-stripes-spotted-in-germany

Spoiler

Shame aesthetics doesn't really translate to performance ....

• LOL 1

If you read on the card you'll be cheating on your heart.

1 hour ago, chcarlson23 said:

I really like the design for Iceland! However, the light blue numbers on the navy jersey don’t work the best. I feel like they would be very hard to read in real life. Plain white ones would probably be better if you want to maintain the single color numbers and names. 

cb0Smzn.png

I thought it might be an issue but the voices told me it would be fine. Wouldn't be the first time they were wrong.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

AmPJ0Ty.png 

Welcome to the homestretch everyone. An apt description for Group H, our last quartet of teams. 

rC9AeQO.png

A very European bundle of teams, our last four nations each come with a varying degree of hockey history: 

• A bit of a unique situation here, as Great Britain traditionally represents England and the other sovereign nations in IOC/IIHF events but for the first time, England will represent themselves at an international hockey competition. 
  • More known for their soccer team's recent successes, Croatia has been steadily climbing up the hockey ranks since Yugoslavia's dissolution and their hockey team's formation in the years following. 
  • A bit of a rough go here for France, as FIFA rankings have them at #2 but IIHF knocked them down two tiers to #12. But like many nations, they've improved a lot in recent years and look to make a splash here. 
  • Another former Yugoslav republic, Slovenia looks to improve on their two Olympic finishes with a big chance to do so here at the WCOH. 

And leading us off: 

SAWpSGj.png

Is it coming home? English soccer hasn't been able to get the job done, but maybe hockey will have better luck. For their first appearance representing their home nation, the English side takes the ice in very classically styled uniforms, taking some of the better elements of English football and distilling them into a hockey uniform. The alternate is much more modern, adapting the Blue-ties uniforms to the ice. 

Spoiler

mseHDq8.png

C&C welcome!

• Like 3

AmPJ0Ty.png 

• colinturner95 changed the title to World Cup of Hockey: Group H: Intro & England

RozHQoC.png

While I could have been a little more picky about how the groups shook out aesthetically, I really just let the groups shake out how they did, which unfortunately ended up with group H being European heavy and RWB heavy also. Luckily for Croatia, they come attached with a very fun checkerboard pattern which added some individuality.

Like I said, heavy on the checkerboard on the home and away uniforms, with a double stripe mixed in as well on the shoulders and hem. Went with all red equipment, outside the pants. Alternate uses the checkerboard pattern from their Olympic Committee logo on the chest and arms. 

Spoiler

GJMCRPv.png

2 teams left to go!

• Like 4

AmPJ0Ty.png 

• colinturner95 changed the title to World Cup of Hockey: Group H: Croatia

gmFPP0j.png

Comparing FIFA to IIHF ranks, France got the short end of the stick. #2 in the world down to #12. Aesthetically, I think France wins however in both hockey and football. Simple is often better and for France that is very true. A blending of previous football aesthetics with some recent hockey looks and the 75th anniversary Red Wings get you what you see here. For the alternate, a bit of a vintage look with the 1970's football stripes coming back. 

Spoiler

2ki6swM.png

1 left to go! 

• Like 1

AmPJ0Ty.png 

• colinturner95 changed the title to World Cup of Hockey: Group H: France

Let's put a bow on this guy. 

THB4cdS.png

Spoiler

ekElawm.png

Coming to us from the mountains, is Slovenia. Unlike many of the pan-Slavic nations, Slovenia eschews red, white and blue for their national teams in favor of green and blue, which is a welcome change for this group.  the uniform design references three of the major mountain ranges, in cascading shades of blue. this is also repeated on the socks, while the pants have a mountain design, referencing the coat of arms. The alternate goes full mountain, which might remind some viewers of the Avalanche 2020 Stadium Series uniforms. 

For one last time: 

Pundit's Predictions: Unlike other groups, no team really presents as a favorite. The easy answers would be either Croatia or England, but France looks to cause havoc and I'd keep an eye out on Slovenia. No one gives them a real shot but they figure to join France in mucking things up. 

Game 1: England vs Slovenia >>> Remember what I said about mucking things up? Slovenia was outmatched the entire game, getting outshot by almost double, but England couldn't stay out of the penalty box and get a clear advantage. Slovenia kept a level head and upsets England. 

Final >>> 2-1 Slovenia

Game 2: Croatia vs France >>> How about some more havoc? France gets on top from the beginning and doesn't let Croatia get any momentum going and runs away with their opening game. 

Final >>> 5-1 France

Game 3: France vs England >>> One team coming off a huge win, the other is looking to rebound from a head scratching loss. France can't keep the good times rolling and England is back in the win column with a convincing win.

Final >>> 4-0 England 

Game 4: Slovenia vs Croatia >>> Slovenia had a chance to all but secure a spot in the knockout stages with a win here against Croatia, but in a high scoring affair, it was Croatia who jumped back into the win column and set up a good finish for the group.

Final >>> 6-4 Croatia

<<<All 4 teams have one win and one loss at this stage in group play >>>

Game 5: England vs Croatia >>> The formula is simple for the next two games: win and you're in. The two highest ranked teams in the group meet up and give us a good matchup. A 1-1 game heading into the 3rd is taken over by England and they manage the pivotal second win and all but knock out Croatia. 

Final >>> 3-1 England - England clinches spot in knockout rounds. 

Game 6: France vs Slovenia >>> Slovenia strikes first early and it looked like they had a chance to run away with it, but France stormed back with a flurry of goals to shut that down, securing a spot with England and closing out the group stages. 

Final >>> 5-1 France - France clinches spot in knockout rounds, England gets 1st position via H2H. 

Spoiler

EoEaliO.png

• Like 2

AmPJ0Ty.png 

• colinturner95 changed the title to World Cup of Hockey: Group H: Slovenia & Finale

32 teams are down to 16. Who will be crowned world champions? 

Round of 16 

Morocco vs Latvia >>> The magic continues! After an unbeaten group play, Morocco falls behind Latvia with a few minutes to go in the 3rd, but salvages their run with a late tying goal and gets an OT winning to keep the dream going. 

Final >>> 2-1 OT Morocco

Belgium vs Germany >>> Probably the most even matched game of the first round on this side. Belgium and Germany threw everything they had at each other, but its Belgium advancing to face Morocco after a tip drill goal gets them across the finish line. 

Final >>> 1-0 Belgium

United States vs Norway >>> Norway caught the Americans sleeping, jumping out to a 3-0 lead but couldn't hold off the comeback as the United States stormed back to tie the game late and finish the comeback in overtime. 

Final >>> 5-4 OT USA 

Uruguay vs France >>> Both teams traded goals early, and it would be France who ends up with more at the final buzzer, moving on to face team USA in the quarter finals. 

Final >>> 5-3 France

-----

Brazil vs Canada >>> Oh man. This was a game that should have been reserved for the Cup Final, but we got it in the first round. Neither team wanted to lose. So much so they almost played two full games just to win one. In the end, the world #1 gets on to the next round, winning the game in the 3rd OT. 

Final  >>> 4-3 3OT  Canada

Czechia vs Kazakhstan >>> Kazakhstan made it this far but couldn't keep it going. Czechia rolls to an easy victory, meeting up with Canada in the quarterfinals. 

Final >>> 5-2 Czechia

Argentina vs Nigeria >>> Nigeria looked to hopefully catch some of what Morocco was feeling, but it would not come to pass. Argentina manages a couple more bounces and moves on. 

Final  >>> 5-3 Argentina 

England vs Finland >>> A quality matchup to end the first round. Finland looked to get on top of England early, but one goal wasn't going to cut it. England takes control in the second half of the game and sends the Finns home. 

Final >>> 2-1 England.

Spoiler

dj8Faww.png

KaVBZvP.png

Quarterfinals: 

Morocco vs Belgium >>> To quote Dave Niehaus, "It just continues, my oh my!" The Moroccans do it again, this time in a double overtime affair, heading to the semifinals after another heartstopping win.

Final >>> 2-1 2OT Morocco

United States vs France >>> The US tempts fate again, falling behind early to France and for a minute, looking like they'd run out of time to come back, but a furious 3 goal outburst in the 3rd sends the US through to meet the team of destiny. 

-----

Canada vs Czechia >>> A matchup we've been seeing more and more of in real life, but Czechia was no match for Canada this time. The Canadians have been a much different team than the team that lost to Morocco in group play and the Czechs found that out the hard way 

Final >>> 5-1 Canada

Argentina vs England >>> It's coming home? Not this time. Argentina shuts out England to meet up with Canada in the semifinals.

Final >>> 2-0 Argentina. 

Spoiler

oIv0fCw.png

5rCCl4U.png

Semifinals:

United States vs Morocco: The clock strikes 12 for the Moroccans. Nursing a tenuous 1 goal lead late, the Moroccans make a costly turnover and let the US tie the game up. Morocco had several quality chances to win it in an overtime and a half, but weren't able to solve the US goaltending and the United States make it to the WCOH Final. 

Final >>> 4-3 2OT USA

Argentina vs Canada >>> 3 goals were scored in the first period and none after that. Unfortunately, we would not be getting a US/Canada final, as Argentina managed the needed 3rd goal to advance to the WCOH final and a chance at history. 

Final >>> 2-1 Argentina 

Spoiler

h9JxLR1.png

kSkQrK2.png

Medal Round: 

Third Place Game: While I'm sure Canada would rather be playing for the world championship, a chance at revenge has to be a solid consolation prize. Canada avenges their early upset and salvages their tournament, winning the 3rd place game. 

Final >>> 3-1 Canada 🥉

WCOH Final: Argentina had the chance to be the first team to win a FIFA World Cup and a World Cup of Hockey. The United States looked to simply complete the mission. And both teams came to play. No scoring through the first 3 periods of play, bolstered by outstanding goaltending on both sides. In the second overtime, the United States' experience started to shine through, forcing a bad turnover which turned into a 3-on-1 opportunity and the cup winning goal was scored. 

Final >>> 1-0 2OT United States 🥇

Spoiler

PxONelv.png

A lot of words to close this one down. It was fun getting an idea I had back in 2015/2016 ish off the ground finally, but I gotta say, after two back to back series of simulated results that border a little but on the fan fiction edge, I'm glad its over. But I had fun doing it. I'm considering turning this into a regular thing over at the Alternate History Sports forum, so who knows. But thank you to all who followed along, commented or just enjoyed a causal lurk through the thread! 

• Like 1
  • Love 2

AmPJ0Ty.png 

• 1 month later...