No More Los Angeles! • Anaheim Angels Rebrand

timberwolf

I've had the rebrand bug lately so I decided to take a stab at one of the lamest brands in the majors right now.

Immediately dropped the Los Angeles name and went back to Anaheim for the city name. It's just... better.

The A halo is quite strong already so I kept that piece of the design. The one major-ish change I made to the lettering was opting for a cleaner font that maintained the vibe of the current set but felt a little less Texas-y.

The wings from the short-lived Disney-era logo return in a much cleaner way. I always liked the idea of the wings, just never felt it was executed right with that iteration of the brand (also the bats were so corny).

The diamond outline behind it is a callback to this logo, which I quite liked and wish they still used a bit more.

Among the secondary marks is the A with the California outline behind it, a reference to this era of the Angels. The gold halo completes the retro look.

As for the wordmarks, nothing too drastic. A change in the lettering, as previously mentioned, with an Anaheim option finally back in the rotation.

spacer.png

Here's how the marks look on the Angels' uniform set, with some small tweaks here and there. I brought back the two-colour cap design to separate themselves from the other red-hat-wearing teams in the major leagues.

The fourth option is just a fun throwback I tossed together, inspired by their City uniform from this past season.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Let me know what you think! I haven't done a rebrand in a minute, felt good to get the blood flowing again.

• Like 16
  • Love 1

The A is better proportioned than the logo the team currently use. That said, it really needs the Tuscan Spurs and the Halo would look better in Gold.

4 hours ago, timberwolf said:

The A halo is quite strong already so I kept that piece of the design. The one major-ish change I made to the lettering was opting for a cleaner font that maintained the vibe of the current set but felt a little less Texas-y.

The Angels used a Tuscan font when they first started off in the MLB in 1961 up intill 1970, and introduced a Tuscan font in 1993, which was a year before the Rangers used a Tuscan font for the first time. The Angels have a claim to use Tuscan that is just as strong as the Rangers, probably even more so.

I don't think the script is an improvement on what the Angels currently use, which is pretty solid and only really needs the drop shadow removed, and the white outline on the road. The outline on the script could do with more space between the letters and without the drop shadow effect, and with Tuscan Spurs.

Overall, the set could be improved with a Tuscan font, no drop shadow effect and gold halos.

• Love 1

8 hours ago, VampyrRabbit said:

The A is better proportioned than the logo the team currently use. That said, it really needs the Tuscan Spurs and the Halo would look better in Gold.

The Angels used a Tuscan font when they first started off in the MLB in 1961 up intill 1970, and introduced a Tuscan font in 1993, which was a year before the Rangers used a Tuscan font for the first time. The Angels have a claim to use Tuscan that is just as strong as the Rangers, probably even more so.

I don't think the script is an improvement on what the Angels currently use, which is pretty solid and only really needs the drop shadow removed, and the white outline on the road. The outline on the script could do with more space between the letters and without the drop shadow effect, and with Tuscan Spurs.

Overall, the set could be improved with a Tuscan font, no drop shadow effect and gold halos.

Thanks for the feedback! Good point on the Tuscan spurs and gold halo. Here's what an update looked like. I used the same script as the previous concept but added spurs, spaced them out more, and removed the drop shadow in favour of a solid outline.

spacer.png

Here's what the uniforms would look like...

spacer.png

spacer.png

Let me know how these look!

• Like 7

That looks amazing. I love how well you integrated the wings and A-halo together. I do think, however, that with white wings on a white background, the diamond logo needs to be another color (periwinkle like the california logo perhaps?) in order to avoid being lost.

Adding back in the spurs and yellow halo are great updates, but I think the spurs should also be in the primary logo for consistency's sake. I personally might also drop the sans-serif ANAHEIM above, unless you're trying to create an entire roundel logo.

Lastly, I think the tall, skinny numbers are a little awkward, and if there was ever a space where the spurs should see themselves coming back, I think that's the place.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

tinysig.jpg

Thank you for the feedback everyone! Here's another draft...

Per @Jake3roo's suggestions - reverted the number font to their classic spur lettering, and added periwinkle to the diamond.

Also good catch on the spur-less primary logos. I actually had that version done but exported the wrong one by accident, whoops! 😅

spacer.png

And the uniforms...

spacer.png

spacer.png

How are they looking?

• Like 11

• 1 month later...

I thought I would have given feedback on this already, but since I haven't, I guess there's no better time than the present:

It looks really good! I love the decision to go with the white front panel cap, at home especially, it makes them almost the red version of the Blue Jays. I think the road jersey could probably use a solid red cap, but the white looks great with the home and alternate.

I think each update is generally an improvement, although I prefer the number font you had to the Angels' real one. I personally would be fine if you dropped the "spikes" in the font, too, like the original did.

Can I ask what font it is you used, which I assume the same one as the main wordmarks? It looks similar to the Cubs' City Connect number font, which I've been trying to find.

2 hours ago, MJD7 said:

Can I ask what font it is you used, which I assume the same one as the main wordmarks? It looks similar to the Cubs' City Connect number font, which I've been trying to find.

I may be wrong, but I believe it's Bourbon, an adobe font.

• Like 1

tinysig.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Love these. The only thing I'd change is on the away set, make the white in that hat/helmet gray so everything matches up. Maybe even add in a navy jersey if we're going with the 4+1 thing the MLB wants now. Phenomenal job here!

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/26/2023 at 9:19 PM, MJD7 said:

It's actually a font called "MLB Angels". I got it off the internet somewhere a couple of months ago. I can send it to you if you'd like!

Solid rec from @Jake3roo too, Bourbon is a great font and also close to the Angels one.

On 1/5/2024 at 1:43 PM, svd2311 said:

The only thing I'd change is on the away set, make the white in that hat/helmet gray so everything matches up.

Thanks for the feedback! Much appreciated. Something like this?

spacer.png

• Like 4