North America Pro Soccer 2024

Brian in Boston

11 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

I watched the Washington Power highlights, and skill wise they look to be a bit behind NWSL teams. 

The talent is lacking for sure, however if they want to make a splash, they might try to sign anyone on the USWNT who isn't playing in the NWSL, which at this point is only three.  Two of them though (Emily Fox and Lindsay Horan) have NWSL experience, leaving only Korbin Albert as the only one on the team without any NWSL experience.  They would still be lacking in top flight talent though, as if she was to play in the US, Korbin Albert is probably playing in the NWSL.  The USA's new big three of Trinity Rodman, Sophia Smith and Mallory Swanson all play in the NWSL.    

What they could do, if its not going to be Albert is make an attempt to sign Catarina Macario, if she ever decides she wants to play in the US.  However, if Macario was to play professionally in the United States, it will probably be in California, where there's only NWSL teams playing there (although there are plans for a USL Super League team in Oakland) and Macario has roots there.  She moved to San Diego from Brazil in 2011, aged 12.  She went to school at Stanford, which is in the Bay Area.  So if she's decides to ever play in the US, it's either going to be for the San Diego Wave or Bay FC of the NWSL, with Angel City another possibility.  Macario could easily be the face for one of the California NWSL teams but maybe for others as well.   I think her next move once she's done at Chelsea is going to be interesting.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GDAWG said:

I can see from a mile away that progressives will claim that women's sports are on the vanguard of players' rights and it's long past time for the men's leagues to do the same, but you need an entry draft as a leveling mechanism if you want to keep people engaged. Besides, the NFL Draft probably makes more money in two nights than the NWSL makes in a year. Maybe one night.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

11 hours ago, The_Admiral said:

I can see from a mile away that progressives will claim that women's sports are on the vanguard of players' rights and it's long past time for the men's leagues to do the same, but you need an entry draft as a leveling mechanism if you want to keep people engaged. Besides, the NFL Draft probably makes more money in two nights than the NWSL makes in a year. Maybe one night.

If teams are able to sign younger talent that wouldn't be eligible for the NWSL Draft, why keep it around? The salary cap in place still limits how strong NWSL teams can be. 

https://mlsmultiplex.com/posts/indy-eleven-one-step-away-from-concacaf-championship-while-competing-in-the-usl-01j5v3dwmztw

Indy Eleven are a finals berth and an LAFC Leagues Cup win from making the Concacaf Champions Cup tournament. 

LAFC will playing the Columbus Crew at Lower.Com Field again with a trophy on the line. 

https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/columbus-crew-to-host-lafc-in-leagues-cup-2024-final

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

14 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

LAFC will playing the Columbus Crew at Lower.Com Field again with a trophy on the line. 

https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/columbus-crew-to-host-lafc-in-leagues-cup-2024-final

LAFC also didn't face any Liga MX teams in the knockouts. Not saying that to diminish their ability, just feels kinda anti-climactic given the point of the tourney. I always find it to be a little bit of a letdown when like the UEFA CL semis end up being two English or Italian or whomever teams playing against one another, to have an entire tournament where that happens half the time at least feels a little silly to me.

Just now, Digby said:

LAFC also didn't face any Liga MX teams in the knockouts. Not saying that to diminish their ability, just feels kinda anti-climactic given the point of the tourney. I always find it to be a little bit of a letdown when like the UEFA CL semis end up being two English or Italian or whomever teams playing against one another, to have an entire tournament where that happens half the time at least feels a little silly to me.

I know Crew fans wanted to get another shot at Pachuca and Cincinnati, but we'll take another chance at a trophy regardless of who it's against. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

12 hours ago, The_Admiral said:

The Soccer is a Special Snowflake principle is in play here, though, now that many of the big European clubs have started throwing their oligarch money at the women's game. The league is already raising salaries and rapidly professionalizing, but is going to face increasing headwinds to retain elite young American talent if staying in the US means "you can't negotiate your deal and you have to play in Utah, like it or not".

MLS sort-of figured this out, any American worth his salt there can circumvent the draft using whatever bureaucratic mechanism MLS has put in place this year. They've kept the draft but it seems like the best you'll get out of the draft is a decent squad player, not a star. Considering how it took so long for MLS to acquiesce to even limited free agency and only for MLS lifers, I do think it is interesting how this new NWSL deal goes even further than MLS in terms of aligning with the yolo-capitalism of the global game -- no draft at all, no max salary, no free agency restrictions, players must consent before being traded.

• Like 1

On 8/19/2024 at 1:31 PM, MJWalker45 said:

I watched the Washington Power highlights, and skill wise they look to be a bit behind NWSL teams. 

So not surprisingly, there is a small group of USL Die hards on Reddit who think that the USL Super League should compete with the NWSL.  The USL Super League is not going to compete with the NWSL.  As I said previously, they have no shot at Catarina Macario, should she decide to play professionally in the United States after her run at Chelsea ends.  However, they don't seem to be as antagonistic towards the NWSL as they are with the MLS.   There are no "F NWSL" or "F Jessica Berman" (NWSL Commissioner) posts as there are "F MLS" and "F Don Garber" posts all over the USL subreddit.  

• Like 1

Over on the NSWL Reddit, I did a post on whether or not we'll see Catarina Macario in the NWSL by the 2027 Women's World Cup as she will free of her contract with Chelsea by the summer of 2026.  The majority of replies are that the answer is yes if she remains healthy in the next few years.  Now if she does remain healthy and signs with the NWSL in the summer of 2026, the question will be if she can be successful in the NWSL, to the point where she's one of their top players.   Many of her teammates on Team USA that play in the NWSL have been among the league's best players.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, GDAWG said:

Over on the NSWL Reddit, I did a post on whether or not we'll see Catarina Macario in the NWSL by the 2027 Women's World Cup as she will free of her contract with Chelsea by the summer of 2026.  The majority of replies are that the answer is yes if she remains healthy in the next few years.  Now if she does remain healthy and signs with the NWSL in the summer of 2026, the question will be if she can be successful in the NWSL, to the point where she's one of their top players.   Many of her teammates on Team USA that play in the NWSL have been among the league's best players.  

I think it depends on Emma Hayes. I think she'd rather that some of the top players be playing in Europe year-round, instead of staying in the NWSL. I also wonder how many top European women players are willing to swap out England, Spain, France and Italy for summers in the United States instead. Katie Zelem moved over from Manchester United, but she's not a top talent in the England setup anymore.  

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

2 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

I think it depends on Emma Hayes. I think she'd rather that some of the top players be playing in Europe year-round, instead of staying in the NWSL. I also wonder how many top European women players are willing to swap out England, Spain, France and Italy for summers in the United States instead. Katie Zelem moved over from Manchester United, but she's not a top talent in the England setup anymore.  

That maybe what she wants, but that's not the reality of the USWNT.  The new big three of Trinity Rodman, Sophia Smith and Mallory Swanson are in the NWSL for a while, at least until the LA Olympics in 2028.  

FC Dallas is in 10th place in the Western Conference.  Part of me wanted to see them be really good so they can get to the MLS Cup Finals, so that they could be the latest after the Rangers, Mavericks and Stars to either get to the conference finals or league championship before the Cowboys go back to the NFC Championship.  Oh well, another disappointing season ahead for FC Dallas.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GDAWG said:

FC Dallas is in 10th place in the Western Conference.  Part of me wanted to see them be really good so they can get to the MLS Cup Finals, so that they could be the latest after the Rangers, Mavericks and Stars to either get to the conference finals or league championship before the Cowboys go back to the NFC Championship.  Oh well, another disappointing season ahead for FC Dallas.  

I'm pretty sure they will have plenty more chances to do so before the Cowboys get there.

• 2 weeks later...

Earlier this week, Magic Johnson joined the ownership of the Washington Spirit of the NWSL, a team for which Trinity Rodman plays for.  I wonder what the interactions between Magic and Trinity's dad, Dennis were like back when he was with the Pistons, if they had any at all.