CFL uniform news 2024

clonewars2008

22 hours ago, FriedPickles said:

Is it true Edmonton is going back to the "Eskimos" name? Or keeping Elks? don't mind either way tbh

There are rumours to that effect but nothing has actually changed. It has become a culture war issue with many Boomers and Xers demanding a return to the Eskimos name (and the Elks have a new Boomer owner who is said to be sympathetic to the idea), but at this point I'd say a reversion to the old name is unlikely. The storm it would create just wouldn't be worth it for the team.

I do suspect that had the team weathered the political storm of 2020-21 it probably could have found a way to keep the Eskimos name through partnerships with the Inuit community, but they made their decision and it's hard to undo it now. The team was in a bit of a tough spot because traditionally the older fans resistant to the change were the biggest supporters, and it's likely that they did alienate many of them. Of course, it didn't help that the name change coincided with some of the worst seasons in franchise history giving people handy excuses not to buy tickets.

I suspect they will try to bridge the two identities by leaning heavily into the "EE" logo and making the Elks one less prominent.

• Like 1

On 9/26/2024 at 6:28 AM, zubazpirate said:

There are rumours to that effect but nothing has actually changed. It has become a culture war issue with many Boomers and Xers demanding a return to the Eskimos name (and the Elks have a new Boomer owner who is said to be sympathetic to the idea), but at this point I'd say a reversion to the old name is unlikely. The storm it would create just wouldn't be worth it for the team.

I do suspect that had the team weathered the political storm of 2020-21 it probably could have found a way to keep the Eskimos name through partnerships with the Inuit community, but they made their decision and it's hard to undo it now. The team was in a bit of a tough spot because traditionally the older fans resistant to the change were the biggest supporters, and it's likely that they did alienate many of them. Of course, it didn't help that the name change coincided with some of the worst seasons in franchise history giving people handy excuses not to buy tickets.

I suspect they will try to bridge the two identities by leaning heavily into the "EE" logo and making the Elks one less prominent.

Yeah, pretty much this.  If they kept it, they could have done community engagement and strengthened relationships with the indigenous community, but the optics of changing it back would be bad PR

As an indigenous person, I just wish these name/branding changes actually involved us. Way too many times it has been people with white saviour complexes dictating the narrative, with companies caving because they don't want bad PR, leaving us out in the cold.

While I know indigenous people who were generally offended by the Chief Wahoo logo and the (Commanders) name, I also know others who like things like the Blackhawks logo/name. There was a (white) academic in Vancouver who tried to "cancel" the orca Canucks logo, just for the indigenous groups in the area to speak out in favour of the logo, understanding it was the team showing pride in the PNW-Coast Salish art.

i am all for having a social discourse on issues like this and grow as a society, but when we're not invited to the table to have our voices heard, much of this just comes off as disingenuous 

• Like 1