Spring Football Concept: AAFL Project

WideRight

Just checking in and I do see 15-11 for Chicago.  

Congratulations tot he Windy City, the City of Broad Shoulders, Hog Butcher to the World, the Second City.

Chicago will be the 10th franchise of the AAFL, and with it a natural rivalry with St. Louis.  That also means that New Orleans will relocate (for now) to the Western Division to be paired up with Houston.    But, what about Chicago's identity?  You know the names, but what will the look be.  We have 4 contenders, each tied to different aspect's of the city's rich cultural and historical identity.   Here we go, with voting going for 2 days (or until the 4-vote lead, as always).

CHICAGO BLUES

It's the sound of the city, the soulful guitar riffs and driving beats of the Blues.  From Buddy Guy's on the South Side to Kingston Mines, Chicago is one of the great music cities thanks to its blues tradition.  That tradition is celebrated with this look.  A silver helmet is crisscrossed with the familiar 6 strings and fret  of a blues guitar.  The guitar head forms the central element of the logo, surrounded by a circular C logo.  Royal Blue, black, and silver will be the team colors for the Blues. 

spacer.png

CHICAGO HOGS

In the city known for Bulls, Bears, Cubs, Hawks, and Wolves, how can the Hogs not fit in?  This ferocious razorback hog is ready to tussle with anyone, tusks out and feeling ornery.  The black, orange, and grey design incorporates the two-toned hog on a dark grey helmet (non metallic) with a broad tapered stripe from the facemask to the rear bumper.  Expect a wild time when the Hogs get to tussling. 

spacer.png

CHICAGO WINDS

We all know Chicago is called the Windy City because of its politicians, not really its climate, but it is still a city where the wind can rip through the man-made canyons.  That image is the center of the Winds logo, with the Sears (Willis) Tower at the center and a stylized "C" made up of sweeping winds.  The Winds will wear uniforms in a combination of sky blue, charcoal grey, and silver. 

(While this image does borrow elements of the Chicago Staggs identity created by Gridiron Labs and the Chicago Windstorm concept of Matt Curley on Dribble, I actually designed this concept--using the John Hancock originally--over 10 years ago, so I feel pretty good about using it here.)

spacer.png

CHICAGO STING

The Sting name harkens back to prohibition era Chicago, or to the NASL soccer club that first used it in the 1970's.  Rather than go with a bee image we switch it up to a spider, with the arachnids' 8 arms helping to frame the creature within one of the enduring symbols of the city, the 6-pointed star found on the city flag of Chicago.  The team colors, while they may look a bit like the blue and red of Spider-Man, are actually a deep purple and bright red combination, a new combination for a sports team in the city.  The helmet features a thin tapered stripe, a motif that will continue in the design if this identity is chosen. 

spacer.png

There you have it.  Four very different potential looks for the Second City's newest pro sports franchise.  Which one will win out and become the 10th franchise in the All-American Football League?   Let's get this voting started!!

I'd like the Hogs identity a lot better if the porcine mascot in the logo was just a big, ol' domestic pig, as opposed to a wild razorback. To my mind that would tie-in better to Carl Sandburg's labeling of Chicago as "Hog Butcher for the World". Winds? I just can't help but laugh when I think of a team bearing that name. As for Sting... well, spiders don't sting, they bite. Their bites might cause a stinging sensation, but they themselves don't sting.   

I have to go with the Chicago Blues. I love the simple - yet iconic -  primary mark, the stylish word mark, and the tremendously creative strings-and-frets helmet stripe (which I hope is repeated as the striping on the pants). Outstanding! Besides, the team's marketing slogan practically writes itself...

"Chicago Blues Football: We're on a mission from God."