On to the next! I'm actually done every home and road set, so it just comes down to my availability and motivation to post. Hoping to have some more comments on future teams, though I'm sure I will once I get to my Utah concept. (Which I made before the move to Utah was made official by the way.)

Florida Panthers!!!!

I'm not reinventing the wheel or anything, and while I liked the branding for the Panthers initially, it seems most fans want a return to the leaping panther, which I now do as well. The Panthers actually released this updated Panther logo with the rebrand, but they don't seem to use it much. Most concepts I see revert back to the old logo, but this one is incredible and is more than suitable to slot right into a full time look. I ditched the horizontal striping and went with the reverse retro style they used. It brings back the full colour scheme back into the fold. Navy has a more prominent place once again on the uniforms. The Florida flag/panther logo goes to the shoulders where it belongs. The sleeves always seemed so busy, and while the captain patch added to that logo was cool, it's just a lot for the sleeves.

spacer.png

• Like 3

Because the Panthers weren't super different from concepts I've made or seen for them, I figured I'd do a double post today. 

Los Angeles Kings

spacer.png

Now here are some real changes! The logo is something I did for my last NHL redesign, a modernized and somewhat simplified version of the crown logo. I like the idea to go back to the retro look, but it just feels lazy to copy old designs. So I did bring back purple, but not the yellow. Purple, silver, black, and white become the new colours of the Kings. The silver is metallic on the jersey itself. Black has a place as an accent colour. The design is actually pretty similar to that of their retro uniforms they reintroduced the past few seasons, but the colours change. We do see the yellow show up inside the collar, and ode to that uniform past. The shoulder patch features the old shield style logo, but with that updated crown inside. A modernized take on a classic. The better way to bring back the past in my opinion. Bringing back the past while moving forward in design.

• Like 1

• TrueNorth13 changed the title to My Ideal Fanatics NHL Redesign - Florida Panthers & LA Kings (13/32)

Great stuff so far!

The Ducks returning to their original crest and colours alleviates my OCD makes me happy and I like this take on their jerseys, and as with your other series it's easy to see the anniversary jersey influence. I also really like the Blackhawks with all(?) of their crest colours worked into the striping, and that snowcap detail on the Avs is brilliant.

At first I wasn't sure on Dallas, but after taking a moment to get used to the unslanted Stars logo it's definitely better suited for that jersey design.

• Love 1

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

On 5/8/2024 at 10:07 PM, TrueNorth13 said:

Because the Panthers weren't super different from concepts I've made or seen for them, I figured I'd do a double post today. 

Los Angeles Kings

spacer.png

Now here are some real changes! The logo is something I did for my last NHL redesign, a modernized and somewhat simplified version of the crown logo. I like the idea to go back to the retro look, but it just feels lazy to copy old designs. So I did bring back purple, but not the yellow. Purple, silver, black, and white become the new colours of the Kings. The silver is metallic on the jersey itself. Black has a place as an accent colour. The design is actually pretty similar to that of their retro uniforms they reintroduced the past few seasons, but the colours change. We do see the yellow show up inside the collar, and ode to that uniform past. The shoulder patch features the old shield style logo, but with that updated crown inside. A modernized take on a classic. The better way to bring back the past in my opinion. Bringing back the past while moving forward in design.

The black in this set feels forced. I get it with the logo but everywhere else it just feels like it's sitting on its own and not integrated into the colour scheme. Maybe that's just me. 

Re: Ottawa re-brand being lazy - Sens fans have been clamoring for them to return to that brand for years. I personally wish they had a little more white in the black home jersey (like the original) but if they were going to change things up, this was the way to go. 

On 5/10/2024 at 10:18 AM, Karnage84 said:

The black in this set feels forced. I get it with the logo but everywhere else it just feels like it's sitting on its own and not integrated into the colour scheme. Maybe that's just me. 

Re: Ottawa re-brand being lazy - Sens fans have been clamoring for them to return to that brand for years. I personally wish they had a little more white in the black home jersey (like the original) but if they were going to change things up, this was the way to go. 

I don't agree with the stance on the black feeling forced, though I did make it, so it makes sense we would disagree on that haha. No hard feelings! The black was meant to be very much an accent colour. Not really prominent, but just adding something. Plus the black numbers help that aspect stand out.

As for the Sens rebrand, I don't think going back to a retro look was the lazy part, or even listening to what the fans wanted. I think using the EXACT same logo as the past, without making any changes was lazy. I don't think they even needed to changed that much, but there's a lot of small little design things that have changed since they last used that logo. Thickening outlines, taking out unnecessary details, while keeping much of the logo the same. I think they easily could've compromised with what the fans wanted, but also pushing design forward.

Minnesota Wild

I think people might be upset that I didn't go for the Northstars look, or colour scheme. But the Wild red and green is so unique for the NHL, I wanted to stick with it. While the Wild uniforms now are pretty solid, I don't like how they don't match each other. With my redesign, the Wild go back to a look first worn as an alternate in 2003. Back then it was a red base, but here green remains the primary colour for the home. It's a simple design, yes, but sometimes simple works really well. The Wild already have one of the best logos in the league, so I don't think they need some crazy striping on the jersey. The shoulder patch is an adaptation of the Winter Classic logo, and the Minnesota lake blue makes the inside colour pop.

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Love 2

• TrueNorth13 changed the title to My Ideal Fanatics NHL Redesign - Minnesota Wild (14/32)

I think that most of these (Detroit is the exception) need outlines around the numbers. For ones that I have other opinions on:

Flames: Thank you for doing a version of what is IMHO the best the Flames have ever looked, but Blasty just doesn't look right as a primary. I'd switch the logos.

Blackhawks: IDK if I'm feeling the multi-colored stripes.

Avalanche: Same as the Flames logo issue.

Blue Jackets: I'm not totally sold on the Electric Green stripes, but I don't hate it either.

Other than that, great job so far.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

15 hours ago, TrueNorth13 said:

I don't agree with the stance on the black feeling forced, though I did make it, so it makes sense we would disagree on that haha. No hard feelings! The black was meant to be very much an accent colour. Not really prominent, but just adding something. Plus the black numbers help that aspect stand out.

As for the Sens rebrand, I don't think going back to a retro look was the lazy part, or even listening to what the fans wanted. I think using the EXACT same logo as the past, without making any changes was lazy. I don't think they even needed to changed that much, but there's a lot of small little design things that have changed since they last used that logo. Thickening outlines, taking out unnecessary details, while keeping much of the logo the same. I think they easily could've compromised with what the fans wanted, but also pushing design forward.

They made some changes - it wasn't the EXACT same logo. It was absolutely very very close though. It's hard to mess with perfection and that original logo set was great. Most of their other's have been downgrades. 

Now there are a few minor changes between the new logo and the one worn by Ottawa during the nineties. Ottawa streamlined the logo by adjusting the colour of some of the accent lines. First, they completely ditched the white outline that used to exist around the entire logo. Next, they changed the outline of the Centurion’s cape and the wings from red to gold. It also looks like Ottawa adjusted the shade of gold used in the logo. The gold used in the new uniform looks a little duller and less yellow compared to the nineties look.

https://historicallyhockey.com/jersey-review/ottawa-goes-back-to-the-beginning/

At the end of the day, it's your design, and you're far more talented than I am. This is just my perspective from what I'm seeing.

For the home (purple) jerseys - if black was incorporated into other ways, it'd feel more natural to me. Thin stripes on the arms, or the bottom of the jersey, outlining of the number, etc. The addition of it to the cuff (where it'd probably be covered up by gloves anyway) sort of makes it feel like it doesn't belong. 

For the away (white) - you now have black numbers and the black cuff. There's less prominence of the silver and the purple, the two main colours. 

Pants - there's no black here (or even white, other than the Bauer logo). 

Maybe I'm just an odd cat but I am more in favour of symmetrical design. Mismatching of colours, striping patterns, etc. bug me (not accusing you of these things, just highlighting my uniform aesthetic nerdiness). The black just really stands out to me in a way that I feel could either be a) incorporated more or b) eliminated altogether. Either option would, in my eyes, create a better uniform set. 

Minnesota Wild

I think people might be upset that I didn't go for the Northstars look, or colour scheme. But the Wild red and green is so unique for the NHL, I wanted to stick with it. While the Wild uniforms now are pretty solid, I don't like how they don't match each other. With my redesign, the Wild go back to a look first worn as an alternate in 2003. Back then it was a red base, but here green remains the primary colour for the home. It's a simple design, yes, but sometimes simple works really well. The Wild already have one of the best logos in the league, so I don't think they need some crazy striping on the jersey. The shoulder patch is an adaptation of the Winter Classic logo, and the Minnesota lake blue makes the inside colour pop.

spacer.png

I really like the overall design. The numbers are really cool. I wonder what it would look like if you could incorporate some of the jaggedness/notch in the white striping. It's a really cool design overall but it might create a slight unique element. It looks great either way.