MLB: Trying to Please Everyone With Nike's 4+1 Rule (Guardians 5/15)

coco1997

On 5/1/2024 at 10:28 AM, Coiler said:

Love the Purple Mets, the Star Spangled White Sox, and everything you've done with the Rays.

Thanks!

DETROIT TIGERS

HOME:

Tigers-Home.png

ROAD:

Tigers-Road.png

HOME ALT:

Tigers-Home-Alt.png

ROAD ALT:

Tigers-Road-Alt.png

CITY CONNECT:
Tigers-City-Connect-w-orange.png

Notes:

- A historically alternate-averse club, Detroit is the first team in this project to get not one but two new alternates: an orange home alt featuring the script from the team’s current wordmark logo and an inverted version of their home jersey for away games. This would offer the team an orange option at home and a navy-only option on the road.

- Front numbers are added to the home top for consistency with the other jerseys.

- The white trim is dropped from the team’s road set to produce a cleaner look akin to the team’s 1952-57 away jersey.

- I wanted to address the biggest (and most legitimate) criticisms of Detroit's newly unveiled City Connect design: the total lack of orange and horrible cap logo. The TV numbers and tire tape pattern on the sleeves and pants are therefore recolored orange, and the "DETROIT" wordmark on the cap is replaced with the tiger eye "headlights" that appear above the jersey's jock tag. Shoutout to @Victormrey for helping out with the tread pattern! 

C&C appreciated as always! 

• Like 2
  • Love 2
  • Applause 2

• coco1997 changed the title to MLB: Trying to Please Everyone With Nike's 4+1 Rule (Tigers 5/7)

Perfect set for the Tigers! The tweaks made to the main set are really clever and improve their current look.

I'm glad for having helped with the CC graph! I think the orange really pops on the navy base, and that cap is a beauty 😍

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 4/30/2024 at 10:54 AM, coco1997 said:

Thank you both!

TAMPA BAY RAYS

HOME:

Rays-Home.png

ROAD:

Rays-Road.png

HOME ALT:

Rays-70s-Home-Alt.png

ROAD ALT:

Rays-Road-Alt.png

CITY CONNECT:

Rays-City-Connect-w-numbers.png

Notes:

- I think most would agree that after 16+ seasons, the Rays’ current look has pretty much run its course. In contrast, the team’s Devil Rays throwbacks seem to be more popular than ever—as evident by their massive influence on the Rays’ newly-unveiled City Connect design. Given that those throwbacks are included in Tampa Bay’s 4+1 anyway, I figured it wasn’t much of a leap to promote that look to primary status again, with a few updates.

- The above being said, I would like to see the return of the Rays’ ‘70s fauxbacks, as those uniforms made the best use of the team’s current navy/Columbia blue/sunshine yellow color scheme of anything they’ve worn. The fauxback therefore returns and becomes the new home alternate. 

- The biggest criticism of Tampa Bay’s City Connect has been the illegibility of the wordmark and numbers, which I’ve addressed by recoloring in a solid gradient. The St. Pete pelican/palm tree logo also replaces the sunburst on the left sleeve.

- I honestly didn’t expect the City Connect design to go all-in on the original gradient, which prompted me to actually “tone down” my previous updates to the home and road by replacing the gradient-colored numbers with solid purple and white ones.

C&C appreciated!

Its a shame that the actual city connects lose the numbers and wordmark if youre looking at them from a distance.  Your tweak made them perfect, btw how awesome is that Skateray logo 

• Love 1

On 5/7/2024 at 12:42 PM, Victormrey said:

Perfect set for the Tigers! The tweaks made to the main set are really clever and improve their current look.

I'm glad for having helped with the CC graph! I think the orange really pops on the navy base, and that cap is a beauty 😍

On 5/8/2024 at 3:52 PM, bcon_731 said:

Its a shame that the actual city connects lose the numbers and wordmark if youre looking at them from a distance.  Your tweak made them perfect, btw how awesome is that Skateray logo 

Thank you both!

On 5/7/2024 at 6:47 PM, Coiler said:

Tigers should have the head on their cap, IMO.

Agreed, though just about anything would be an improvement over their actual City Connect cap.

CHICAGO CUBS

HOME:

Cubs-Home.png

ROAD:

Cubs-Road.png

HOME ALT:

Cubs-Home-Alt-off-white-w-wordmark-plack

ROAD ALT:

Cubs-Road-Alt-no-collar-trim.png

CITY CONNECT:
Cubs-City-Connect.png

Notes:

-  With their blue tops becoming the team’s de facto road alternate in recent years, I worked up a new home alt that combines the team’s home and road uniforms from 1909.

- The Cubs are, IMO, long overdue for an update to both their road set and blue alternate, so I looked to the past for both, restoring the team’s classic 1960s road look (with added front numbers) and tweaking their blue alt to better resemble the North Siders’ 1980s road jersey.

- The red-billed cap returns and becomes the team’s new primary cap.

- The City Connect is now a very Wrigley green version of the team’s actual design, with a bit more red added throughout.

C&C appreciated!

• Like 3

• coco1997 changed the title to MLB: Trying to Please Everyone With Nike's 4+1 Rule (Cubs 5/11)
On 5/11/2024 at 3:44 PM, cubbeblue88 said:

Green city connect is so 🔥🔥🔥🔥!!!

On 5/11/2024 at 8:31 PM, Coiler said:

Like the City Connect.

If you wanted to be REALLY crazy with it, you could make it ivy patterned.

Thank you both! @Coiler, I did something similar to what you suggested for my Cathedral Connect Cubs concept.

CLEVELAND GUARDIANS

HOME:

Guardians-Home.png

ROAD:

Guardians-Road.png

HOME ALT:

Guardians-Home-Alt.png

ROAD ALT:

Guardians-Road-Alt.png

CITY CONNECT:

Guardians-City-Connect-w-sandstone-patte

Notes:

- The Guardians’ identity is decent enough, but I’ve always found their uniforms to be a bit lacking. Therefore, I added TV numbers across the board, along with different piping on the home and home alt and additional collar trim on the road and road alt.

- I like Cleveland’s City Connect, and while I LOVE the use of racing stripes, I’m not convinced they work on a uniform without a matching jersey and pants. I wanted to go monochrome, and since black and navy are played out at this point, I decided to go all-in on the sandstone color from the “CLE” wordmark.   

- Creme replaces plain white on the front panel of the cap and within the racing stripes and wordmark.

C&C appreciated as always! 

• Like 3

• coco1997 changed the title to MLB: Trying to Please Everyone With Nike's 4+1 Rule (Guardians 5/15)
On 4/30/2024 at 9:54 AM, coco1997 said:

Thank you both!

TAMPA BAY RAYS

HOME:

Rays-Home.png

ROAD:

Rays-Road.png

HOME ALT:

Rays-70s-Home-Alt.png

ROAD ALT:

Rays-Road-Alt.png

CITY CONNECT:

Rays-City-Connect-w-numbers.png

Notes:

- I think most would agree that after 16+ seasons, the Rays’ current look has pretty much run its course. In contrast, the team’s Devil Rays throwbacks seem to be more popular than ever—as evident by their massive influence on the Rays’ newly-unveiled City Connect design. Given that those throwbacks are included in Tampa Bay’s 4+1 anyway, I figured it wasn’t much of a leap to promote that look to primary status again, with a few updates.

- The above being said, I would like to see the return of the Rays’ ‘70s fauxbacks, as those uniforms made the best use of the team’s current navy/Columbia blue/sunshine yellow color scheme of anything they’ve worn. The fauxback therefore returns and becomes the new home alternate. 

- The biggest criticism of Tampa Bay’s City Connect has been the illegibility of the wordmark and numbers, which I’ve addressed by recoloring in a solid gradient. The St. Pete pelican/palm tree logo also replaces the sunburst on the left sleeve.

- I honestly didn’t expect the City Connect design to go all-in on the original gradient, which prompted me to actually “tone down” my previous updates to the home and road by replacing the gradient-colored numbers with solid purple and white ones.

C&C appreciated!

This is an interesting rebrand decision here for the Rays, they keep the "Rays" name but they go back to their Devil Rays color scheme and logos, giving this a very 2000s feel, but also very colorful. 

gT1BtSs.png