Minor League Baseball News & Notes

Couldn't find an old thread, but with possible changes on the horizon in minor league baseball (affiliated or not), figured it might be worth adding.

We have some news that the Texas Rangers affiliates in the High A South Atlantic League and the Low A Carolina League will swap places in 2025.

In news from earlier in the month, Modesto will not have affiliated baseball in 2025.  Interesting that San Bernardino is where the Inland Empire 66ers play currently, not sure whats going on but there may be some shifts in the future.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, TBGKon said:

In news from earlier in the month, Modesto will not have affiliated baseball in 2025.  Interesting that San Bernardino is where the Inland Empire 66ers play currently, not sure whats going on but there may be some shifts in the future.

I’ve been following the situation in Modesto, and while San Bernardino is the likely landing spot, nothing has been confirmed as of yet.

FWIW I’ve also read that the Visalia Rawhide (also in the California League) and Eugene Emeralds (in the Northwest League) are in similar situations, but I haven’t really heard much about them either.

The MLB takeover of MiLB continues to look worse for the fans with each passing day.

Edited by DustDevil61
fans
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, DustDevil61 said:

I’ve been following the situation in Modesto, and while San Bernardino is the likely landing spot, nothing has been confirmed as of yet.

FWIW I’ve also read that the Visalia Rawhide (also in the California League) and Eugene Emeralds (in the Northwest League) are in similar situations, but I haven’t really heard much about them either.

The MLB takeover of MiLB continues to look worse for the fans with each passing day.

I thought I saw a while back that someone was looking at moving one of the California teams to Ontario, but Rancho Cucamonga is 6 miles away

Signature intentionally left blank

12 hours ago, DustDevil61 said:

I do think the facility standards and expectations go into effect after 2024 or 2025, and if certain details aren't in the works there could be some shifting soon.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 7/23/2024 at 2:07 PM, TBGKon said:

Looks like the Nuts will be staying, at least for next year.

https://www.newsbreak.com/fox40-1589919/3576649540620-modesto-nuts-gets-another-year-of-play-with-city-council-decision

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

Lost in this Modesto/Inland Empire shuffle is what the Angels would end up doing since they're the current 66ers partner and San Bernardino's a perfect geographic fit for them (not that the Angels actually care about their farm system in any semblance).  The only option I could see if the lease extension in Modesto fails would be to somehow resurrect the Lancaster JetHawks or the High Desert Mavericks.

VmWIn6B.png

1 hour ago, LMU said:

Lost in this Modesto/Inland Empire shuffle is what the Angels would end up doing since they're the current 66ers partner and San Bernardino's a perfect geographic fit for them (not that the Angels actually care about their farm system in any semblance).  The only option I could see if the lease extension in Modesto fails would be to somehow resurrect the Lancaster JetHawks or the High Desert Mavericks.

Lancasters stadium is being converted to a soccer stadium. The stadium in Adelanto I believe is mostly abandoned at this point.

• Like 1

https://writers.coverfly.com/projects/view/d4aa2d1d-fda5-496e-ae11-91df8ff777f9/The_Summer_of_John_Henry

When the financially desperate owner of a minor league baseball team faces losing his team to a ruthless competitor, he signs a talentless baseball outcast, as they both attempt to save their dreams. Based on a true story.

lol yes I'm aware

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

1 hour ago, TBGKon said:

We have a name for the new Columbus, GA team in the Southern League.  A relocation of the Mississippi Braves.  Welcome the Columbus Clingstones.

https://www.milb.com/columbus-clingstones/news/new-atlanta-braves-affiliate-unveils-columbus-clingstones-identity

Of course they are owned by Diamond Baseball Holdings.  I am a bit surprised at this point that they haven't bought a minor league baseball team in a while.