What is the single greatest sporting event......

the_cynic

It's interesting that no one has mentioned being at a Super Bowl. I would have thought someone here would have been to one.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Dr. Kelso: My son is a big baseball fan. Not so much playing it, but more the designing and sewing of uniforms.

Tyler: That's neat.

Dr. Kelso: No, it's not.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I actually played in the 1985 All-Star game at the Metrodome. Seriously.

Well, that's the way I like to put it. The All-Star game folks had community bands from Minnesota, North Dakota, Wisconsin, Iowa and South Dakota all get together and play a few tunes as part of the pregame ceremonies. I played trumpet in the Bismarck, N.D., Elks Band, and we were part of that.

One of the things I remember most is waiting between the home dugout and the locker room area before going onto the field. American League players would walk past us, most not paying attention to us. One player, though, stops, smiles and says, "You folks nervous?" We all said yes. He said, "Hey, so am I."

The player was Donnie Moore of the Angels. I nearly cried when I heard he had committed suicide. I remember that little act of kindness by him, paying attention to the boys and girls in the band and loosening us up.

What is the single greatest sporting event you've attended?

Greatest? I dunno; I guess it depends on your definition of "Greatest." I've been to a lot though, including...

-- Super Bowls XIV through XXX (thanks to a cousin who worked in an NFL team's front office);

-- Four World Series games (1979, at age 11);

-- One Stanley Cup final game;

-- A dozen or so title fights (most recently Roy Jones Jr.'s win over John Ruiz for the WBA Heavy crown);

-- The game where Willie Stargell became baseball's all-time strikeout king (at least, until Reggie Jackson took the title);

-- The first-ever regular season game of the Florida Marlins; and

-- The first-ever regular season game of the Arena Football League, as well as the first ArenaBowl.

nav-logo.png

Archived