Rice Wearing a Retired #?

NewYawkSeahawk

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In granting Jerry Rice permission to don #80 with the Seattle Seahawks, Steve Largent displayed the class and dignity that inspired the football team to retire the number in his honor in the first place. Sadly, Rice couldn't bring himself to return the favor.

Largent has been quoted as saying that he suggested that Rice should wear #1 with the Seahawks, emblematic of Rice being the #1 wide receiver in NFL history. Apparently, that wasn't good enough for Rice, so Largent made the aforementioned gesture of goodwill. A truly dignified response from Rice would have been to thank Largent for offering up the retired number, then politely declining in deference to Largent's legacy and the Seahawks' history and tradition.

This is a case of a 42-year-old NFL player in the twilight of his career who simply can't see fit to take the field wearing anything but "his" number. What Rice should realize is that while #80 might have truly been "his" number in San Francisco (and to a lesser extent in Oakland), it was, is and always will be inexorably linked with Steve Largent in Seattle. So much so that the Seahawks retired it in Largent's honor. There is nothing that Rice can do to "honor" Largent's legacy while wearing the number. Largent honored the number enough during his year's of service to the Seahawks. Period.

Bottom line? Rice is selfish to bring Largent's #80 out of retirement in Seattle, and egotistical to think that his play as a Seahawk will do anything to "honor" Largent's legacy.

Frankly, it's sad to see a veteran NFL talent of Rice's calibre engage in the type of "me first" behavior that one would expect from a brash, arrogant and selfish rookie.

Jerry Rice was on a local radio station today, KJR Sports Radio AM 950. He claims that Largent called him and said he would be honored if he would wear number 80. Rice said he thought he would have to wear another number until that call. Rice stated, "that how could he not honor that request from Largent?".... Rice did give the impression he was willing to wear another number if not for his conversation with Largent.

So there you go .. if Steve Largent requested it or says fine.. it is fine.

"Try not to have a good time ... This is supposed to be educational."

- Charles Schulz

viks.jpg

Here you go from the Seattle Times. see the bold text.....

Thursday, October 21, 2004 - Page updated at 12:00 A.M.

Seahawks

Outrage unnecessary: Largent proud to let Rice wear his number

By José Miguel Romero

Seattle Times staff reporter

Seahawks fans from all over the area and points beyond weighed in on Jerry Rice wearing jersey No. 80, an action met with little to no favor.

But the man who gave Rice his blessing to wear the most sacred jersey number in the history of the Seahawks stood behind his decision to do so.

Largent, reached in Washington, D.C., yesterday, said the strength of Rice's gesture of calling him to inquire about wearing the number was enough for Largent to loan it to Rice.

The Seahawks acquired Rice, the NFL's all-time leading receiver, in a trade Tuesday. Rice made his practice debut ? clad in a blue No. 80 warmup jersey ? yesterday at team headquarters in Kirkland.

"I appreciate the outrage, but they don't need to do it for me," Largent said, speaking of the fans who expressed bitterness over Rice wearing the Hall of Fame receiver's old number. "I appreciate their sentiment in that regard, but it goes without saying, Jerry Rice is a special player. Frankly, I'm proud that he asked."

Largent, who serves as president and CEO of the Cellular Telecommunications and Internet Association based out of the nation's capital, considers himself a friend and fan of Rice. The two know each other from their NFL playing days ? Rice's fifth pro season was 1989, the year Largent retired.

Largent learned of the possibility of a trade, and the chance that Rice would ask for the number, on Monday. The next day, upon Rice's arrival in Seattle, the new Seahawk called Largent.

"He was very respectful and said he'd been traded and wanted to feel me out about wearing No. 80 in Seattle," Largent said. "I just told him that I'm the No. 1 fan in the Jerry Rice Fan Club. We've had a friendship for many years."

Largent, who at 50 is only eight years older than Rice, said he was happy the Seahawks dealt for Rice. Three thousand miles to the west, Rice was in the middle of practice as Largent spoke. After practice, Rice reiterated his gratitude to Largent for the use of No. 80 ? continuing a coast-to-coast lovefest.

"I have a lot of respect for him, but it just went sky high," Rice said. "He didn't have to do this. When he told me it would be an honor for me to wear it, I can't say no to Steve Largent."

Said Largent: "I would never say no to him for any reason."

"Try not to have a good time ... This is supposed to be educational."

- Charles Schulz

viks.jpg

Hey... the Seattle Times article bears out what I'm saying.

... The next day, upon Rice's arrival in Seattle, the new Seahawk called Largent.

"He was very respectful and said he'd been traded and wanted to feel me out about wearing No. 80 in Seattle," Largent said.

My point is that Jerry Rice should have had the class to never even inquire about wearing Largent's retired number. He should have had enough respect for Largent's legacy in Seattle to realize that the number should remain retired. Instead, because Rice needed to wear what he considers "his" number, Rice approached Largent about the issue, putting Largent in a position where he really couldn't (and based on Largent's class, Rice knew he wouldn't) say, "no".

It was selfish on the part of Rice. Period.

Going back to what EZ said, I think that anyone wanting to do something like this should look at the example set by Joe Montana upon his trade to KC. Obviously, he was a first ballot hall of famer by that time, if not the greatest quarterback of all time. He wore 16 in SF, but it was retired in KC for Len Dawson, who is a local sportscaster and Chiefs broadcaster now. Lenny approved of Joe wearing it, but Joe declined, saying that he'd just take his college number 3. It was retired in honor of Jan Stenerud, the kicker. Joe added the two numbers and got his HS number, 19. A very classy move by a very classy guy.

I've decided to give up hope for all sports teams I follow

Archived