Rice Wearing a Retired #?

NewYawkSeahawk

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well, first off let me say thank goodness that rice shaved off his old-man cornrows.. they were hideous

on to the topic at hand, i can see how some old school seahawk fans could be upset over this, but the number obviously means something to rice and if largent gave him the OK, i guess its alright

when danny wuerffel was on the redskins, during pre season he wore no. 7 (joe theismann's #) and he because of the uproar, he had to change it to #17... but we can't really compare jerry rice to danny woeful

What are your feelings on someone wearing a retired number... especially that of the most important person in that team's history.

Now I know Steve Largent gave permission to Jerry Rice to wear the #80... but stilll...

Well Brett Hull is going to wear 7 in Phoenix (whenever they start). Technically it's a Jets retired number, but he is going to wear it anyway. His dad gave the ok for that.

Edit: I, of course, meant 9, not 7. I was thinking about something else.

My opinion is that if the number is retired, it was retired for a reason, and should stay retired.. If it is worn by someone else after, it taints it. And it kind of negates the idea behind it. Especially now these days when they have ceremonies honoring the athlete. I can understand some people's opinion on this one. It's a Hall of Famer wearing another Hall of Famer's number. But I still don't like it.

Detroit Dragons - 2010 ULL Gait Cup Champions

Detroit Cougars - 2010 and 2011 WAFA Wills Cup Champions

According to the AP story, #80 was never retired by the Seahawks:

Rice will wear No. 80, which was worn by former Seahawks wide receiver Steve Largent from 1976-89. Largent, who went on to become a four-term U.S. Congressman from Oklahoma, was elected to the Hall of Fame in 1995.

The number, which was never retired, hasn't been worn by a Seahawks player since Largent left.

Rice asked Largent for permission to wear No. 80, which Rice has worn throughout his NFL career, and received his blessing.

And then when I went to grab the excerpt from the story, I saw that they ran a correction:

Eds: SUBS grafs 11-12 to CLARIFY that Largent's number was retired, now unretired at Rice's request.

So, the AP is far from perfect, and I was going to say as much since an obvious Seahawk fan started the post. However, my point stays the samee. If a number is retired, it should stay retired. If it is "unofficially" retired like the Cowboys (never see a #12, rarely see a #33, etc.) then I say go ahead.

I don't care if it's Jerry Rice or Ken Griffey Jr. (whose request for 24 was shot down), a retired number should stay that way.

i can see the argument here. the NFL's number rules combined with roster sizes don't really make retiring numbers feasible nowadays...case in point, the Packers retired Reggie White's jersey, but a Packer can still wear #92. maybe doing that would work better.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

The first situation that comes to my mind in regards to a retired Hall of Famer having his number "unretired" was when Pat Swilling signed as a free agent with the Lions about ten years ago and Joe Schmidt allowed Swilling to wear his retired #56.

The first situation that comes to my mind in regards to a retired Hall of Famer having his number "unretired" was when Pat Swilling signed as a free agent with the Lions about ten years ago and Joe Schmidt allowed Swilling to wear his retired #56.

And that's part of my argument. Swilling was a bust.

As I said, I am not for wearing a retired number. But maybe more teams should take the Toronto Maple Leafs approach. Only two numbers are retired. Both of those players died while employed by the team. Other than that, all the others are just honored by their name and number hanging in the rafters. This kind of satisfies both parts of it. The player is honored, yet the number is available for future use.

Detroit Dragons - 2010 ULL Gait Cup Champions

Detroit Cougars - 2010 and 2011 WAFA Wills Cup Champions

My opinion is that if the number is retired, it was retired for a reason, and should stay retired..  If it is worn by someone else after, it taints it.  And it kind of negates the idea behind it.  Especially now these days when they have ceremonies honoring the athlete.  I can understand some people's opinion on this one.  It's a Hall of Famer wearing another Hall of Famer's number.  But I still don't like it.

Exactly what I was going to say.

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

Hawks, like the Raiders, do not retire numbers. The honor the player but no retire the number. I believe the Cowboys do the same thing.

and they did the proper thing by asking Largent. It is not like K.Winslow II coming in and demanding it with out ever even making a catch in the NFL.

"Try not to have a good time ... This is supposed to be educational."

- Charles Schulz

viks.jpg

Hawks, like the Raiders, do not retire numbers. The honor the player but no retire the number. I believe the Cowboys do the same thing.

and they did the proper thing by asking Largent. It is not like K.Winslow II coming in and demanding it with out ever even making a catch in the NFL.

COMPLETELY FALSE....

The Seahawks did in fact retire 2 numbers.

#12 for the fans.

#80 Steve Largent

If a number is retired, it is retired. Rice shouldn't get to wear 80.

When Alex Rodriguez came to the Yankees, he knew he couldn't have 3, no matter how great he was. He knew better than to even ask for it.

Rice should have enough respect for the game not to even ask for 80.

CK3ZP8E.jpg

COMPLETELY FALSE....

The Seahawks did in fact retire 2 numbers.

#12 for the fans.

#80 Steve Largent

#12 for the fans? Is that y they sell #12 jerseys that say "fan" on the back?

Archived