The Scottish Claymores have folded

DEAD!

For those wondering, Gelsenkirchen is a smaller city in the Ruhr area (western Germany) just west of Dortmund and north of Cologne.  The city's famous mostly for it's soccer team, FC Schalke 04.  Schalke has a new stadium -- Arena Aufschalke -- which is one of the most modern/facilitaive in Germany, and I'm sure a big reason for Gelsenkirchen to be mentioned.  That said, Schalke fans are very devoted to their team, and I'm not sure how successful another franchise would hope to be with such competition for entertainment euros (currency, not the people).

Here's a pic:

arena_eroeffnung.jpg

I've seen pics of that stadium, very impressive. Can never really understand why the video board is in the centre. Berlin's Olympic Stadium has recently been rennovated.

Munich will have a new stadium (currently under construction): Allianz Arena which looks very impressive.

http://www.allianz-arena.de/en/home/index.php

I saw, I came, I left.

Hence the word "Germanic," meaning of German origin, meaning German speaking, meaning that Austria and part of Switzerland are included. Hence the lack of the word "Deutsche." Besides, I won my high school's geography bowl, so I certainly know that Zurich isn't German, yet is Germanic in terms of culture and language. And, I've been to Austria, so I know what I'm talking about.

Ahhh, OK! I didn't notice that "ic" finishing in the end of "German"... ;)

But "German Swiss" don't speak German as the primary language... they speak the Swiss dialect. The German is written and read by all the "German Swiss" because the Swiss dialect hasn't any grammar and didn't be written. German also is spoken when a non-German Swiss didn't know Swiss dialect.

The origins of the Swiss people aren't too Germanic. Many roots are from the Celtic people, believe it or not!

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

I've seen pics of that stadium, very impressive. Can never really understand why the video board is in the centre.

It seems most of the pictures of Euro Football stadiums show a scoreboard over the middle. Very weird looking on the open air ones with wires all over the place.

The main reason for Geselkirken to get a team is that the Rhein Fire were playing at AufShalke only until RheinStadion was replaced for the 2006 World Cup. Geselkircken was promised a team to replace Rhein. I'd preferred they'd expanded to 8 teams rather than sack Scotland. The front office was the most fan friendly of all the NFL Europe teams. I'll still support the league, but this is utter crap.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Archived