Mario Lemieux Sunday Yellow Jerseys

spyboy1

The new CCM Vintage line includes a Pittsburgh Penguins Sunday Yellow jersey. These were worn from 1981-82 until 1984-85. The 1984-85 season was Mario Lemieux's rookie year, and therefore the only year he wore this jersey.

I'm sure 99%of these will be done up as Lemieuxs and they have started to show up on ebay. I believe they are being lettered by CCM, as were many of the previous vintage jerseys in the past.

And like the Modano North Stars jerseys I have discussed here in the past, they got it wrong again

Here are pictures of the ones on ebay right now.

lemieuxfront.jpglemieuxback.jpg

The things they have gotten wrong is the placement, and therefore colors, of the sleeve numbers. The font for the name is also incorrect.

Here are two photos clearly showing the black sleeve numbers worn in the yellow shoulder area, NOT the yellow numbers incorrectly located in the black sleeve area. The Penguins did not move the numbers off the shoulders and down into the sleeves until 88-89 season, four years later.

marioyellow.jpg

Second, the basic block letter font for the name was not adopted until 88-89 as well. The 84-85 Sunday Yellows used the font with the pronounced block serifs as shown in the photo below.

pensyellow8485.jpg

If you want an accurate Mario Lemieux Sunday Yellow, my advice is to buy a blank one, do your research and print out a few examples from the always helpful http://www.dropthepucks.com/ and http://www.nhluniforms.com/ and send them along with your jersey to be custom lettered.

JeffB

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

Nice research there, Jeff. Also, maybe it's just the photography, but the yellow for the logo seems different than the jersey yellow. And, there's no way that jersey should have a captain's "C" on it.

How do they continually screw this stuff up? Then again, we're probably the only ones that care.

The guy that runs Drop the Pucks plays in the same hockey league I do, only in a much higher level than I play in.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

What a shame.

Very smart move and advice in getting a blank. I used to buy jerseys from a guy back home, and he would not put a name and number on them unless he had the correct style numbers, letters, and positions. We went round and round for months (before we both were on the internet) trying to find pictures of the Cleveland Barons jersey to crest mine.

Detroit Dragons - 2010 ULL Gait Cup Champions

Detroit Cougars - 2010 and 2011 WAFA Wills Cup Champions

It also looks like the inside of the "6" on the replica jersey is squared off, while in the authentic, it would be diagonal at the corners (did I explain that good?)

Also, the authentic looks screened, while the fake looks stitched. The Reebok throwback "replithentic" jerseys are the same way. They are selling 1990 Cunningham jerseys with stitched numbers and names, and modern-day "dazzle" shoulders. Total crap.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I haven't seen one of these in person yet to compare the yellow color of the crest to the color of the jersey. It could be the light reflecting off the sheen of the twill causing it to look much lighter. You can see it the 'vitrual hockey card' that they should match exactly.

You are also dead on about the captian's "C" being incorrect. According to my source, http://www.rauzulusstreet.com/hockey/nhl/p...ghmanagers.html , Lemieux wasn't made captian until 87-88, long after the Sunday Yellow was dropped.

Back then, the authentics were definitley screened on.

Also, I want a Cleveland Barons jersey! Gotta be the one with the state of Ohio on the sleeves too.

As long as I am at it, here's another one I spotted today.

First is a correct Tie Domi Toronto St. Pats jersey. These we worn once during the Maple Leafs 75th anniversary season on March 2, 2002. The key here is worn for one game only so all the photos of them will show only one font being used.

domi.jpg

Now look at the Sundin. It is using the modern font in use by the Leafs on their home and roads. Compare the letter "D" in each name. Why is this so hard to figure out, especailly when you got one right?

sundin.jpg

For a look at a real game used one, click here; http://www.dropthepucks.com/images/Tor/01-...%20pats%20b.jpg

JeffB

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

You are a man after my own heart, Jeff. My family could never understand my interest and knowledge of what was used as a letter style, etc. Heck of a detective job!

BTW, I never got that Barons jersey crested, because we couldn't find a good picture of how the state and the numbers looked. Gonna have to do that someday soon.

Detroit Dragons - 2010 ULL Gait Cup Champions

Detroit Cougars - 2010 and 2011 WAFA Wills Cup Champions

Archived