D-Backs pick Backman as new manager

Gary

D-Backs pick Backman as new manager

By Ed Price, Tribune

Backman

Wally Backman will be named manager of the Diamondbacks today, a source familiar with the result of the team?s search said Sunday.

"We?ll try to finish our decision (today)," team president Rich Dozer said Sunday.

Backman, who managed Arizona?s Class A Lancaster (Calif.) affiliate this year, is expected in town today to become the fourth manager in franchise history. He takes over a team that went 51-111 ? the worst record in the National League since 1965.

Known for his fiery temperament during his 14-year career as a major league infielder, Backman apparently is just as intense as a manager. As he managed Lancaster to the best record in the California League ? the JetHawks lost in the deciding game of the championship series ? he reportedly had six ejections, two suspensions and some clubhouse tirades.

But he also won strong reviews for his managing ability and relationships with players. The Sporting News named Backman its minor league manager of the year, and Baseball America cited Lancaster as its team of the year and Backman as the top managerial prospect in the league.

Backman, 45, has never managed or coached in the majors but worked his way up from independent leagues to affiliated ball.

Before joining the D-Backs organization earlier this year, he spent three seasons in the Chicago White Sox organization, going to the Class AA Southern League playoffs twice and winning one title. His overall record is 410-396.

Former Seattle Mariners manager and D-Backs bench coach Bob Melvin and Manny Acta, who spent the past three seasons as third-base coach for the Montreal Expos, were the other finalists.

Five others were also considered: broadcaster and former Arizona first baseman Mark Grace; Texas Rangers first-base coach DeMarlo Hale; Anaheim Angels bench coach Joe Maddon; Al Pedrique, who managed the Diamondbacks the second half of this season; and Colorado Rockies bench coach Jamie Quirk.

Pedrique is expected to be on Backman?s staff, perhaps returning to his role as thirdbase coach. When Arizona fired Bob Brenly on July 2, Pedrique was named manager for the remainder of the season.

Backman, a .275 career hitter, played for five managers who now have World Series titles to their credit: Joe Torre, Davey Johnson, Tom Kelly, Jim Leyland and Lou Piniella

personally I would of liked Bob Melvin, but Backman was a great manager in the minor leagues, and is very fiery Manager, I just hope he can do to the Dbacks like he did to Lancaster

Wally Backman a gritty dirty griding player great at dragging bunts led the 86 Mets in hitting. He led off the 9th inning of the 86 NLCS game 3 bofore Dykstras HR won it and scored the winning run in Game 5. Always had a dirty uniform.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

why stop there, I believe he would of been a good manager, he was a great bench coach for us so why not. Just because he had a bad year in Seattle doesn't mean he can't reach out to the young Diamondback roster

He did a pretty bad job at motavating the team in Seattle even after the kids were brought up. He showed a lack of passion and at times he would leave his players out to dry on the field. Add to this to his pretty horrible mangement of the bullpen and his often outnow stupidness when it came playing a few players repeatly when there was younger better talent waiting on the bench (ala Wille Bloomquist and Scott Speizo). I wanted him to succed and I hope him the best anywhere he goes but honestly the guy needs to mange in th minors a bit more until he is major league ready.

felix5ix8na.png

NEWS FLASH!

Wally Backman was fired a mere 96 hours after being hired by the Arizona Diamondbacks due to a lot of excess baggage, including a DUI conviction, a restarining order from his ex-wife because he was beating her up and financial embarrassment of bankruptcy, and a possible violation of his parole. Bob Melvin, ex-Seattle Mariners manager, has been named his replacement, signing a two-year deal.

"I better go take a long walk off a short pier or something."

Some people on this bolard have told me to do just that.

My "Ron Mexico" alias is "Jon Tobago".

NEWS FLASH!

Wally Backman was fired a mere 96 hours after being hired by the Arizona Diamondbacks due to a lot of excess baggage, including a DUI conviction, a restarining order from his ex-wife because he was beating her up and financial embarrassment of bankruptcy, and a possible violation of his parole. Bob Melvin, ex-Seattle Mariners manager, has been named his replacement, signing a two-year deal.

being discussed

Okay, mods. Slam the door on this thread and put it six feet under!

"I better go take a long walk off a short pier or something."

Some people on this bolard have told me to do just that.

My "Ron Mexico" alias is "Jon Tobago".

NEWS FLASH!

Wally Backman was fired a mere 96 hours after being hired by the Arizona Diamondbacks due to a lot of excess baggage, including a DUI conviction, a restarining order from his ex-wife because he was beating her up and financial embarrassment of bankruptcy, and a possible violation of his parole.  Bob Melvin, ex-Seattle Mariners manager, has been named his replacement, signing a two-year deal.

being discussed

technically this post came out first so it could also be discussed here as well

NEWS FLASH!

Gee--- tha Backman fits perfectly as NY Mets manager. :lol:

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

Archived