Colts questions?

Korkie

recall back probably twenty ears ago that the colts did change their uniforms, going to grey pants with a horseshoe just below where the stripe meets the belt. I thought they looked fantastic but apparently tradition won out because they only lasted a for year or two.

They actually lasted a little longer than a couple of years. The grey pants with the horseshoes were introduced in 1982 while the franchise was in Baltimore. They went with the team to Indy where they lasted through 1986. In 1987, the grey pants were gone but grey trim remained in both the home pants and the road jersey and pants through that season. In 1988, grey was gone from the uniform.

In 1987, the grey pants were gone but grey trim remained in both the home pants and the road jersey and pants through that season. In 1988, grey was gone from the uniform.

Are you sure about the Gray in the 1987 unis? I was just about to question Craig at "Football Uniforms Past & Present" about that one.

I've got Colts' Style Guide sheets from 1986 and 1988, and an official letter from the NFL regarding the Colts getting rid of all of the Gray from the uniforms.

The only thing I've ever seen as evidence of the White pants with Gray trim with the Blue jerseys was on Craig's site.

In 1987, the grey pants were gone but grey trim remained in both the home pants and the road jersey and pants through that season.  In 1988, grey was gone from the uniform.

Are you sure about the Gray in the 1987 unis? I was just about to question Craig at "Football Uniforms Past & Present" about that one.

I've got Colts' Style Guide sheets from 1986 and 1988, and an official letter from the NFL regarding the Colts getting rid of all of the Gray from the uniforms.

The only thing I've ever seen as evidence of the White pants with Gray trim with the Blue jerseys was on Craig's site.

1987 was the year the Colts traded for Eric Dickerson and the Colts were definitely still wearing the white road jerseys with the blue and grey trim. In fact, somewhere I have one of the Russell Athletic road jerseys from that season. Somewhere there is an SI cover the week after the trade that shows Dickerson wearing the road jersey with the grey trim, but I couldn't find it. I was going from "Football Unforms Past & Present" on the white home pants with the blue and grey striping.

The grey was done away in 1988 when the Colts switched uniform suppliers, going from Russell Athletic to Champion.

I found this picture on the internet. It's not very clear, but their does appear to be blue and grey stripes on the pants and the jersey has the Russell numbering eric.jpg

Amazing topic. I hadn't remembered the gradual swith away from grey to all white either. In any case, let me go on record as saying the 1982-86 grey (silver) pants with the thick blue stripe topped with the horseshoe surrounding the player's number was my favorite design feature in football pants. I can understand the importance of tradition in going back to the original white/blue design.

LT

I've posted this a couple of times in the past, but I'll do it again...:

IndianapolisColts_1986_edit.jpg

I edited out the Pantone info, but this is the definitive look for the Colts back in the day. I saw them play live with the Gray pants (vs. Dallas)...they looked metallic (Spandex?), but apparently they used a flat Gray.

Archived