Colts questions?

Korkie

Are the colts uni changes this year permanent or just to celebrate franchise history? I noticed last night that they never changed the facemask on the helmet at midfield. Is that just an oversight? Are they being lazy? or Is it just not that big a deal and only annoyed me?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Dr. Kelso: My son is a big baseball fan. Not so much playing it, but more the designing and sewing of uniforms.

Tyler: That's neat.

Dr. Kelso: No, it's not.

well. i hope its only temporary. i dont really like grey facemasks unless the helmet is that color too. yeah tradition blah, its ugly and outdated, and yes i am talking to the arizona cardinals and usc trojans too.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

I think its the fact that they don't want to bother painting the grey on there since they are getting a new stadium. So they can live with it until they move.

2004 San Jose Sharks 7th Man Fan of the Year

San Jose Gold Miners - 4x Lombardi Cup Champions

well. i hope its only temporary. i dont really like grey facemasks unless the helmet is that color too. yeah tradition blah, its ugly and outdated, and yes i am talking to the arizona cardinals and usc trojans too.

100% agreed. Gray works for the Raiders, Cowboys, Giants...because Gray/Silver is their color scheme. Gray for the sake of gray is lame ass. The Bucs had orange in 1976 so the technology for a team color facemask has been around for a while now. If you're going to go "retro" get some balls and play with no facemask then. :P

KISSwall09.jpg

100% agreed.  Gray works for the Raiders, Cowboys, Giants...because Gray/Silver is their color scheme. Gray for the sake of gray is lame ass. The Bucs had orange in 1976 so the technology for a team color facemask has been around for a while now. If you're going to go "retro" get some balls and play with no facemask then.  :P

From what I can tell from my meticulous (!) research, is that the Raiders' facemask is actually SILVER - to match the helmet. At least in the official graphics I've seen, it's the same Pantone as the color of their helmet. Of course, one of the problems is that the Raiders actually use a custom mix color for their helmet, and so it technically doesn't match the Silver in the rest of the uniform.

For the Cowboys, the Gray in their facemask actually clashes with the three (yes, three!) different metallics they use in their uniforms. Silver-Green for the home pants, Silver for the road pants, and Silver-Blue for the helmets. The flat Gray for the facemasks doesn't match any of them.

The Giants - yes it matches, but in my opinion, the Gray pants are partly there to justify using a Gray facemask.

The Chargers (in 1974) were the first NFL team to use different colored facemasks (Yellow). In the '80s, I spoke to the long-time equipment manager for the Cardinals...he said that around the time the specially-colored masks became available, he put together three Cardinals helmets - one with a White mask, one with a Red mask and one with a Black mask - to show Bill Bidwill. Bidwill said something to the effect of - "lets' see what the other teams do". I have been waiting patiently for 30 years for the Cardinals to get rid of those awful Gray masks, and now the trend is to GO BACK to them.

I hate fads...

One of the coolest goalie masks that featured a "shiny" facemask was Byron Dafoe when he was with the Bruins. His goalie mask read "Lord Byron", and he had a CHROME facemask...that was aweseome...I wish I had a pic of it to show ya

To answer a few of the earlier questions, the Colts' changes are permanent (or as permanent as it gets in the NFL). I have not talked to anybody at the RCA Dome regarding the blue mask on the logo at midfield, but the City of Indianapolis is in charge of the Dome, not the Colts. I don't know what it takes to change the color of the mask (can it be painted over? is the logo part of the turf?) but I assume it hasn't been changed because of 1) discussions regarding a new stadium and 2) the possibility of replacing the current rug with Field Turf.

I wonder if Colts will change their unis for their new stadium....

They have stayed with this look only making sligh modiifcations here and there in the last 50 years.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Actually this week on ESPN Radio they discussed the first colored face mask in the NFL. According to a page2 article it belonged to the Kansas City Chiefs in the early 70's, 73 or 74. The reason, not fashion but rather the fact that the KC coaches thought it would be easier to catch facemask penalties on a white mask instead of grey. I thought that was interesting.

I wonder if Colts will change their unis for their new stadium....

They have stayed with this look only making sligh modiifcations here and there in the last 50 years.

I recall back probably twenty ears ago that the colts did change their uniforms, going to grey pants with a horseshoe just below where the stripe meets the belt. I thought they looked fantastic but apparently tradition won out because they only lasted a for year or two.

LT

Archived