Boca Juniors throwback jersey

totc

It's midsummer right now in Argentina, and their Summer Tournament (i.e., the second half of their soccer season) begins with the Revenge Cup, which this year saw the big rivalry between Boca Juniors and River Plate (kind of like the Yankees and Red Sox of Argentine soccer).

For this game, Boca Juniors wore a throwback jersey with no advertising on the front and a small Goodyear tire logo on the back with block numerals:

http://www.bocajuniors.com.ar/english/viewfoto.cfm?id=405

River wore its regular Adidas shirt.

That one was the 1981 "throwback" of Boca... but the real 1981 jersey was made by Adidas and that "throwback" hadn't the famous three strips.

Palacio_Baiao_gol_normal.jpg

But the other throwback jersey was an original one:

Palacio_gol_big.jpg

Boca used that jersey in 1908. Very few people knew it so alots came to joke the "kinship" with the archrival River Plate that also wore the slanting strip.

But... the true old 1908 slanting strip was from up-right to down-left, not up-left to down-right as it currently pictures.

Argentine soccer people hasn't the same American sport culture about throwback jerseys.

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

Boca is having its Centennial this current year.

Same thing with Independiente, my Argentinean soccer team.

Boca is planned to show 4 or 5 throwback jerseys this year... all of them inaccurate according to my knowledge because Nike can't copy old models of Adidas... and didn't respect too much the exact old jerseys of the no-trademark era.

That picture shows the true 1981 jersey of Boca. With Adidas' trademark and its three stripes:

diego-tra-i-bambini.jpg

pennants.png

it's possible that any jerseys made in the early 1900's would have sashes running in opposite directions. Heck, NFL jerseys weren't really standardized until the early 80's. I was watching old Miami footage where some guys had tackle twill and others had screened numbers. Different numbers of stripes as well on some of the guys. And these weren't cut off sleeves either.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

But... the true old 1908 slanting strip was from up-right to down-left, not up-left to down-right as it currently pictures.

I went to Boca's web site and found a page with old jerseys (illustrated) and the sland looks OK, not as you said that it should be other way around.

The illustrated (official) page is inaccurate. Besides, the old jersey hadn't any sewn logo in its chest.

I'm living in Argentina and when Boca featured the first "throwback" jersey (that one with the slanting strip), I read alots of angry press' articles denouncing the lack of historic accuracy from reputed soccer historians.

I remember various books of Argentinean soccer history in which the 1908 Boca jersey was as I told.

pennants.png

• 2 weeks later...
it's possible that any jerseys made in the early 1900's would have sashes running in opposite directions.

I find it interesting that River Plate's Adidas jerseys this year have the red slash running in the same direction on both front and back. I've never seen that before.

That's not too surprising, from Nike. They got the US mens' national team throwbacks wrong as well. This is the "1950 World Cup" shirt worn by the MNT on June 8, 2003 against New Zealand:

bad_soccer_throwback.jpeg

The actual 1950 World Cup shirt looked like this:

1950WC_JerseyBall.jpg

Can you say "black and white reference photos," anyone? :rolleyes:

To their credit, Nike did correct this for the second appearance of the throwbacks, November 17, 2004 against Jamaica:

good_soccer_throwbacks.jpeg

Still not great - the crest is wrong, for one - but it's much better. The really obvious problem is solved.

Oh, oh. Another lack of historical investigation from Nike.

totc, yes, it's the first time that River used the same slanting strip in front and in back. Alots of fans rejected that jersey and are waiting the new model around the middle of the current year.

pennants.png

Archived