NHL Sets Weekend Deadline

Pharos04

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well saintsfan, I may not get any votes in a popularity contest, but the use of the words "BREAKING NEWS" underlined does not need to be linked to something.

The use of underlining does suggest at least a link. I don't suppose I was the only person to click over the 'breaking news' bit and only then realise it wasn't a link. Bold would have done.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

http://www.nydailynews.com/front/breaking_...2p-240908c.html

The NHL offered to remove its demand for a link between league revenues and player costs, a "significant move in the players' direction" the union said in a statement early Tuesday following a meeting in Niagara Falls, N.Y. But when the players offered to accept a cap at $52 million - the first time they came off their opposition to a ceiling on salaries - the offer was rejected by the NHL. The league insisted on a salary cap that topped out at $40 million per team.

:(

I always find it funny to see all these polls about how little Americans care about hockey...and yet our country's defining historical sporting event - the Miracle on Ice - was a hockey game!

This lockout has served as a good tutorial for the NBA, which might have its own lockout.  Or, basically, how NOT to go about it.

Keep in mind that the CBA in MLB also runs out in 2 years if I'm not mistaken (at the end of the '06 campaign), which means the NHL is standing as an example of what might happen to b'ball and, uh, b'ball.

Wow. Maybe nuclear winter in 3 major sports. Hmm, can football really run year-round?

Well, there's more hope for baseball to me. They avoided a strike for the first time since the inception of the CBA, the powers that be got the players to agree to revising a CBA while its current (drug testing), something I'm sure never happened before, and I think 94 is still too rich in everyone's mind.

I could be wrong but 2006 seems awfully quick considering the last one was in what...03? Don't they run 9 or 10 years? Maybe '06 was something with the former drug testing. Maybe I'm wrong.

Hilarious how 5 hours after this story was filed, ESPN.com and NHL.com have NOTHING on this latest development - clearly the most important development since the lockout began.

Well, NHL.com doesn't because the league doesn't want to promote the fact that they finally got a cap and they still rejected the offer.

Archived