NHL Sets Weekend Deadline

Pharos04

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If something is reached, I think all teams should be in the playoffs. Use 28 games for seedings.

semperfi.gif

"It is the soldier, not the reporter, who has given us freedom of the

press. It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us freedom of

speech. It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who has given us

the freedom to demonstrate. And it is the soldier who salutes the

flag, serves beneath the flag, whose coffin is draped by the flag, and

who allows the protester to burn the flag."

Marine Chaplain Dennis Edward O' Brien

Frankly, a 28-game "season", eliminating less than half the league's teams prior to the "playoffs", strikes me as being completely ridiculous.

Crowning some club the "champions" of this NHL campaign is a slap in the face of the integrity of 99.9% of the championship squads that have hoisted the Stanley Cup prior to this season (yes, I consider the last strike-shortened season an aberration as well).

The damage to the 2004-2005 NHL season is done. League management, the owners and the players should simply go about getting their house in order in time to contest a REAL season in 2005-2006. That's when they can "save face".

As for this hockey fan, I'm not going to legitimize what amounts to being a glorified "tournament" by giving it my attention at this late date.

Frankly, a 28-game "season", eliminating less than half the league's teams prior to the "playoffs", strikes me as being completely ridiculous.

Crowning some club the "champions" of this NHL campaign is a slap in the face of the integrity of 99.9% of the championship squads that have hoisted the Stanley Cup prior to this season (yes, I consider the last strike-shortened season an aberration as well).

The damage to the 2004-2005 NHL season is done. League management, the owners and the players should simply go about getting their house in order in time to contest a REAL season in 2005-2006. That's when they can "save face".

As for this hockey fan, I'm not going to legitimize what amounts to being a glorified "tournament" by giving it my attention at this late date.

that is exactly how I feel and have felt for the past month. It would be pointless to start any type of season or "tournament" now, its just way too late

Of course I know someone who wholeheartedly disagrees (I wont mention any names ^_^ ) but I feel it would do a lot more damage then it would good to attempt to "save face" by starting some sort of season or "tournament" this far into a lost hockey season.

I am willing to wait until october and the start of a legitimate season rather then have to settle for some patchwork attempt to save something thats been dead for more then a month now

Why not do a decent size schedule and have it play into July? :)

Because that's Vacation time.

semperfi.gif

Good grief.

I wonder when they'll realize that no one gives a damn any more.

Congrats, NHL! Kudos, NHLPA! You've successfully derailed the national attention of Canada.

GO TORONTO ROCK!

Super Wario Comix!

Iron Crossover IX Contender (Tied for 6th)

Iron Crossover Halloween Contender (Tied for Bronze)

vanhalengo.png

I always felt the NHL should do a 48 game half season from March through July, playoffs in July/August, draft and awards in September...another half-season starts next January, goes through April, playoffs in May/June, draft and awards in July. All ready to go back to work in September 2006...Stanley Cup doesn't miss a year being awarded.

Why does everyone feel a 28-game schedule would diminish the worth of the playoffs? Every team will still have the same number of opportunities to make the playoffs and the playoffs themselves would be just the same as always.

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

Why not do a decent size schedule and have it play into July? :)

Because that's Vacation time.

Then what has it been since last June?

Searching the help wanted adds in European Hockey league papers.

semperfi.gif

Wasn't the stanley cup orginally a tournament?

Honestly, I think a round robin tournament (for seeding), followed by an all teams get in, single elimination tournament would bring a decent amount of ratings. I'd probably watch those playoffs.

even if they came to an agreement and was able to save the season, i don't think it would be worth it or feasable. you got to market the games, get players in to shape that are out of shape due to the lay off, then you got to sign players some clubs only have a handfull under contract. they should just can the season with or with out an agreement and start off new in the summer.

Magus.png

General Magus Zeal

Leader of the Mystics of Medina.

The forums most hated member ever.

Honestly, I think a round robin tournament (for seeding), followed by an all teams get in, single elimination tournament would bring a decent amount of ratings. I'd probably watch those playoffs.

It was a challenge Cup--although you had to earn the right to challenge for it.

Then it was played for by the NHL champions & whichever Western league(s) existed at that time...

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

Honestly, I think a round robin tournament (for seeding), followed by an all teams get in, single elimination tournament would bring a decent amount of ratings.  I'd probably watch those playoffs.

It was a challenge Cup--although you had to earn the right to challenge for it.

Then it was played for by the NHL champions & whichever Western league(s) existed at that time...

gotcha...I thought it was a all comers tournament or something.

I think missing out on a Stanley Cup sould be an awfully big risk for Hockey to take. If a deal can be reached even for a very abbr4eviated schedule that leads to a Stanley Cup series then do it.

When the MLB missed the World Series for ayear, it was mighty mighty lucky to get the home run race between McGwire and Sosa was it the next year or the year after that? How is the NHL gonna reignite media interest in particular but also casual fan interest in the game?

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

When the MLB missed the World Series for ayear, it was mighty mighty lucky to get the home run race between McGwire and Sosa was it the next year or the year after that? How is the NHL gonna reignite media interest in particular but also casual fan interest in the game?

It was four years later. However you really cannot draw the same analogy to the NHL. While baseball did suffer for a while after the strike, you're still talking about an enterprise that got to feed off of enormous television contracts, some of which were leaguewide contracts and others held by individual teams. The NHL does not have the same kind of lucrative TV contracts and thus is going to be hard pressed to recoup the dollars it's going to lose at the turnstiles. Simply put, baseball's TV contracts were an insurance policy against failure when the fans stopped showing up. Most hockey teams rely on every single gate dollar in order to break even for the year - most NHL teams won't turn a profit until the playoffs. A fan revolt if and when hockey resumes will likely hurt a number of teams - especially in those markets where it's likely fan dropoff will be substantial, i.e. markets with poor fan bases to begin with and whose prospects for on-ice success are marginal at best. That's why I'm starting to think that certain franchises may have to relocate in order to basically hit the "reset button" on their fan bases. Up until now I never really thought that this lockout would create drastic change in the NHL but the more I hear and see the more I think this is going to result in a radical restructuring of the league. Even I, the classic cynic, am starting to believe that the NHL of 2006 is going to look alarmingly different than the NHL of 2003 - assuming there is an NHL of 2006. Trust me when I say these words do not come to me easily - I really feel this is going to be the NHL's fate. I never thought I'd come to that line of thinking, but there it is.

Archived