buffalo sports teams

Krona

this topic is worthy of its own thread:

buffalo BILLS: wheres the homage to buffalo bill?, wild west revues?, guns?, cowboys and indians?, the new frontier? its been 35 years and not a single nod or mention to it in the uniform, logo, mascot???

buffalo SABRES: a little secondary logo doesnt cut it, the old logo was primarily the buffalo.

the 49ers dont have saint francis all over their unis, the dodgers dont have angels in their logos, what gives buffalo?

To be honest, I never looked at it that way, and all in all, I totally agree with you. But you have to admit, having a city named Buffalo kinda makes it an easy fill in to throw a bison in a logo if ya cant come up with something, ya know. The Bills logo is cool, and seriously, Im no history expert, but does Bill Cody (sp) have anything to do with the city of Buffalo? I always thought the team just threw Bills on there because it went well with the city name and never really had no intention of having an actual image reference to Buffalo Bill.

The Sabres orginial logo was great in my opinion. If you look at it, it even said the team name Buffalo (bison on top of the circle) Sabres (crosses swords at the bottom), but their current logo is exactly what you said, a blatant use of the city name to scam a quick, yet cool looking, logo.

Just my thoughts.

~UJ

it just strikes me a little wierd. a football team named after a guy named "bill". whuh...it just kinda slides on by. i never think of it when i hear "buffalo bills", i just think of joe ferguson. ive messed with a coupla logo concepts that have some reference, like rifles crossed or a wagon trail..its tough. id like to see what othes come up with.

also: the sabres old logo was great, just needed bigger swords, or at least more prominent. its a cool name.

Im no history expert, but does Bill Cody (sp) have anything to do with the city of Buffalo? I always thought the team just threw Bills on there because it went well with the city name and never really had no intention of having an actual image reference to Buffalo Bill.

That's precisely why the franchise adopted the Bills name.

Frankly, it makes for a pretty lousy identity. A logo package that paid homage to William "Buffalo Bill" Cody or the American West wouldn't really fit because... well, because Cody had no significant ties to Buffalo, New York and the city wasn't an Old West outpost.

The play-on-words nature of the Buffalo Bills name is a throwback to the era in which the team came into existance. Unfortunately, sports branding has passed that era by... and the Bills are stuck with a ridiculous nickname. Buffalo Bison... Buffalo Stampede... such names would at least play oof of the city's namesake animal. Buffalo Bills is just goofy.

Archived