College of St. Catherine Wildcats Logo Concept

creativelysain

Since I did the Carleton College logo a few months back, I have been working on identities for the rest of the MIAC (Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Conference...I think that's right). I've done 3-4 inthe past two months and am ready for some feedback, as I am in the process of reworking them and going back and making changes.

This is for the College of St. Catherine, a small women's college in, you guessed it, Minnesota:

...and yes, the wildcat has eyelashes...

WILDCATS.png

Not a fan of the curved wordmark. Otherwise, these are kindof cool. Don't know that I saw your Carleton set. Are you doing these for the schools, or just trying things out on your own?

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

I'm kinda just doing these on my own, but have thought about sending them. I think this particular conference is pretty traditional and has a historical-type feel, like, "don't mess with our tradition, it works" so I don't know.

Thanks for the comments so far. Any ideas on how to improve upon this. I'll post some of my other concepts a little later on.

rtrich11: With the wordmark, I think it was one of those things where you're just messing with different text warps and scaling it around, and it just happened. If I do it again, I'll try to remember and let you know. ^_^

i like the concept a lot - i'm especially digging the lettermark - the neck is a bit off, especially in the tertiary - maybe give it a little more symmetry - i'm a big d3 fan, but i've never heard of csc...is it a women's college? - if not, the eyelashes might be a bit "girly" for a coed school - otherwise, outstanding work!

jldesigns404eo.png

i'm a big d3 fan, but i've never heard of csc...is it a women's college?

St. Kate's is a women's school, I believe in St. Paul. (But I could be wrong.)

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Pretty nice concept - good color combos. Looking forward to seeing more of your work! :D

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

Hi LightBlue -

Actually, The College of St. Catherine is the LARGEST Catholic college for women in the U.S. Yes, we are in St. Paul, MN. Our undergraduate enrollment is women only, although men are admitted to our Associate Degree, Graduate, and Doctoral programs. So, you are correct to focus on the female element since the undergrads have the athletic programs and fan base.

Interesting logo - I especially like the female proportions/line quality, but the eyelashes are overkill. Many may see it as stereotypical, thus negative. I like the movement in the primary and tertiary logos as well. One suggestion: in the primary, it has such a strong movement, it leads my eye right off the page - perhaps a paw at the end of the wording could bring the eye back around. Great colors - I think it can be difficult to work with purple sometimes.

Archived