New Era 59Fiftys

VitaminD

Don't a couple teams actually use their cap logos on their helmets? The Cubs maybe I think? I heard some teams use adheasive to affix the logos.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Don't a couple teams actually use their cap logos on their helmets? The Cubs maybe I think? I heard some teams use adheasive to affix the logos.

Every team does....

Yes, every team uses their hat logo on their helmet, but I believe what BringBackTheVet means is the Cubs actually have a cloth "C" glued onto their helmet, while most other teams simply have a decal... Am I correct in this assumption?

Moose

Every team does....

Yes, every team uses their hat logo on their helmet, but I believe what BringBackTheVet means is the Cubs actually have a cloth "C" glued onto their helmet, while most other teams simply have a decal... Am I correct in this assumption?

Moose

Thank you, that's what I meant. I watched the Phils-Cubs games this past weekend, but couldn't really tell if the "C" was cloth or not.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The logo on the Cubs helmets is an embroidered red "C" on a backing of white felt. The whole mess is then glued to the helmet.

So it's not the raised "foam" logo from the hats? Either way I think it's a cool idea, but it really doesn't come accross on TV.

The logo on the Cubs helmets is an embroidered red "C" on a backing of white felt. The whole mess is then glued to the helmet.

Thank you for a definitive answer. This has bothered me for longer than I care to admit - there was always something about the Cubs' helmets that looked different from other teams.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

The logo on the Cubs helmets is an embroidered red "C" on a backing of white felt.  The whole mess is then glued to the helmet.

So it's not the raised "foam" logo from the hats? Either way I think it's a cool idea, but it really doesn't come accross on TV.

No raised foam - it's a flat "C" on white felt. It dates back to the first batting helmets when the logos were cut out of felt and glued to the helmet. If you look at some of the World Series films or pictures from the 1950's, you'll see some of them starting to fall off the helmets (it's definitely not the best method for putting a logo on a helmet). In the 1960's, some teams started painting the logo on the helmets (I've seen some pictures of Mickey Mantle in which you can tell the "NY" was painted on with a stencil). It wasn't until the 70's that most teams started using decals. The Cubs never bothered switching - they've used the same red stitching on white felt helmet logos since the 50's.

In response to sj32, yes... the Giants along with the Brewers were the first teams to wear the MLB logos on the back of their caps.  I believe that was '92... all of the other teams followed suit the next season.

This is going back quite some time now but I believe what happened was New Era used the MLB logo on those teams as a test.  Sports Specialties was also an official supplier of caps to a bunch of other teams too.  However, MLB really liked their logo on the back of the caps and eventually New Era got the contract to supply all the teams.

I think you may be off by one year. I think all teams had it in 1992, and the experiments may have been 1991.

I only say this because I know that right before the Phillies began selling their new caps (April 1992) the sporting goods stores around here all got shipments of the maroon style, but they had the MLB logo on the back. I wish I bought one, because that would have been one of those rare things - an authentic cap that was never worn. When the bright red caps (The current ones) came out a month later, they had the mlb logo on them, just like the other teams.

I am a proud owner of a maroon swirly-P Phillies hat with the MLB logo on the back (in maroon and powder blue, at that!)

I purchased this gem in 1994, two years after the Phils switched to the bright red. It was the last one in stock at a mom-and-pop sporting goods store in Villanova that I don't believe still exists.

Now this relic is all sweat-stained and broken-in. It has character. It looks like Steve Kline would wear it now!

48142444846_3aa6afbd89_m.jpgNCAA Baseball Champions | 2014, 2019 

facebook

In response to sj32, yes... the Giants along with the Brewers were the first teams to wear the MLB logos on the back of their caps.  I believe that was '92... all of the other teams followed suit the next season.

This is going back quite some time now but I believe what happened was New Era used the MLB logo on those teams as a test.  Sports Specialties was also an official supplier of caps to a bunch of other teams too.  However, MLB really liked their logo on the back of the caps and eventually New Era got the contract to supply all the teams.

I think you may be off by one year. I think all teams had it in 1992, and the experiments may have been 1991.

I only say this because I know that right before the Phillies began selling their new caps (April 1992) the sporting goods stores around here all got shipments of the maroon style, but they had the MLB logo on the back. I wish I bought one, because that would have been one of those rare things - an authentic cap that was never worn. When the bright red caps (The current ones) came out a month later, they had the mlb logo on them, just like the other teams.

I am a proud owner of a maroon swirly-P Phillies hat with the MLB logo on the back (in maroon and powder blue, at that!)

I purchased this gem in 1994, two years after the Phils switched to the bright red. It was the last one in stock at a mom-and-pop sporting goods store in Villanova that I don't believe still exists.

Now this relic is all sweat-stained and broken-in. It has character. It looks like Steve Kline would wear it now!

The only store near me that even got a shipment of the maroon caps w/ mlb logo was Gold Medal Sports in K of P. If only I realized the esoteric appeal of such an item...

Even this is skewed because the Angels use a black underbill...they did some scientific study that showed it helped reduce glare.

They're the only team that does that though.

The Mariners started wearing black underbills this year as well. Bill Bavasi was the GM in Anaheim when they made the change, and he is now the GM in Seattle. I think the Rangers also do so on their black-billed hats.

dbacks.gif mariners.gif

Archived