MLB to launch Baseball World Cup

Waffles

i think that the venues will be

1. Tokyo Dome

2. Bank One Ballpark (due to proximity to spring training sites)

3. Tropicana Field or Dolphins Stadium (due to proximity to spring training sites)

4 and 5. Minute Maid Park, Ameriquest Field, or Petco Park (warm weather sites)

Site #5 would host the winners of the 4 other sites

Do you all agree???

and what countries other than Puerto Rico, Japan, US, Canada, DomRep, Cuba?, and Venezuela could field a team?

A- China, Japan, South Korea, Taiwan [Tokyo- Tokyo Dome]

B- Australia, Canada, USA, World [san Francisco- SBC Park]

C- Central America, Mexico, South American, Venezuela [Houston- Minute Maid Park]

D- Caribbean, Cuba, Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico [Miami- New Marlins Park]

E- Winner A, Winner B, Winner C, Winner D [san Diego- Petco Park]

when you say "world" in Pool B, do you mean any country other than ones represented....maybe instead of a "World" team you should have a European team

ESPN leaked the names of the teams that will be initially invited, subject to change.

This is from the original story that leaked before MLB made an official announcement:

It is:

Pool 1 (Tokyo): Japan, Korea, Taiwan, China

Pool 2 (Hiram Bithorn): Puerto Rico, Cuba, Panama, Italy

Pool 3 (Either Arizona or Florida): USA, Canada, Mexico, South Africa

Pool 4 (Either Arizona or Florida): Dominican Republic, Venezuela, Australia and the Netherlands.

Insert Witty Signature Here.

Countries such as South Africa, the Netherlands and Italy have competed in the Olympics before, so I'm sure they would enter this competition as well.

.... and you're right :blink:

Anyone here thinks Mike Piazza will play for Italy?

I saw, I came, I left.

from what this article says to me, it sounds like the games in Arizona and Florida will be in Spring Training parks.....spring training parks are small, do they really think small parks are a good idea?

I also would change the pools tho as follows (boldface denotes a change)

Pool 1

Japan

China

Taiwan

Korea

Pool 2

Puerto Rico

Cuba

Panama

Mexico

Pool 3

USA

Canada

South Africa

Australia

Pool 4

Dominican Republic

Venezuela

Italy

Netherlands

from what this article says to me, it sounds like the games in Arizona and Florida will be in Spring Training parks.....spring training parks are small, do they really think small parks are a good idea?

I'm sure that's subject to change. Because a game between US and Mexico would be a lot better attended then the epic struggle between Canada and South Africa.

This could be very interesting....

You'd have to think that the DR, Puerto Rico, Cuba (if they field a team), the US, and Japan (if they enter it) are going to be the favorites...

However, wouldn't count out Venezuela, Canada, South Korea, Australia, Mexico, or Taipei from being a factor either....

I think Venezuela can be a dark horse because of their starting pitching. Johann Santana is as good as they come in MLB and the Jays' rookie Gustavo Chacin can be very effective. They don't as good of a lineup as the other teams though

don't forget zambrano either. Their pitching is top notch. US is lacking in pitching really. I mean clemens/johnson is pretty damn good. But compared to others...they are weaker.

ummm....Tim Hudson, Roy Oswalt, Mark Prior, Mark Mulder, Mike Mussina, Curt Schilling, Josh Beckett, AJ Burnett, Dontrelle Willis, Jason Schmidt, Jake Peavy, Mark Buehrle, Jeremy Bonderman (yes, i had to throw a tiger in there), CC Sabathia....just to name a few

Not to mention Ben Sheets, who shut down the Cuban machine in Sydney.

Sheets is a great pitcher, if he weren't on the Brewers, he'd be a Cy Young canidate.

Archived