MLB to launch Baseball World Cup

Waffles

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-w...ov=ap&type=lgns

Baseball set to name World Cup the 'World Baseball Classic'

By RONALD BLUM, AP Sports Writer

May 10, 2005

NEW YORK (AP) -- Major league baseball and its union are ready to give a go-ahead to starting their international tournament next year and will name it the World Baseball Classic.

Management and the players' association planned to announce the 16-nation event after Wednesday's owners' meeting in New York, a high-ranking baseball official said Tuesday on condition of anonymity. Owners gave their preliminary approval Aug. 19, and baseball hopes to have agreements in place that will allow a formal launch of the tournament to take place during the All-Star break in July.

Planning for the tournament, which has been generally referred to as the Baseball World Cup, has been in the works for several years, but the process has moved slowly. Major league baseball originally hoped to launch the tournament in 2005, then pushed it up to 2006.

Wednesday's announcement was first reported by Baseball America on its Web site Tuesday.

Major league baseball and the union already have reached an agreement with the International Baseball Federation to have international drug testing standards for players during the event, which will be played in March, during spring training.

Participation in the tournament will be voluntary.

Japan has not yet formally decided whether it will participate, a Japanese baseball official said, also on condition anonymity, although Japan is likely to send a team to the tournament.

One of the four first-round groups will be played in Asia, the other three in the United States.

OK, seeing as how MLB refers to the WS winner as the World Champions, what will the victorious squad in the World Cup be called?

The Dominican Republic :P

#CHOMPCHOMPCHOMP

OK, seeing as how MLB refers to the WS winner as the World Champions, what will the victorious squad in the World Cup be called?

The Dominican Republic :P

Cuba! Acctually I wonder if Cuba will participate the've had problems in the past with their best atheletes defecting, see Pan-Am games in Winnepeg and even the 96 Olympics in Atlanta.

1zqy8ok.gif

i've always wanted this to happen. i think canada may be able to field a pretty competitive team.

Pete Orr

Corey Koskie

Larry Walker

Jason Bay

Justin Morneau

Matt Stairs

Rich Harden

Jeff Francis

Eric Gagne

Jeff Zimmerman

Paul Quantrill

Of course, the States, Cuba, DR and Japan will be the favourites.

Australia also medalled (Silver i think?) at the 2004 Athens games, so i assume they would be represented.

It was silver. They beat Japan to reach the gold medal game.

I saw, I came, I left.

Dominican Republic

2B Alfonso Soriano

SS Miguel Tejada

1B Albert Pujols

DH David Ortiz

CF Vladimir Guerrero

RF Sammy Sosa

3B Aramis Ramirez

LF Jose Guillen

C Miguel Olivo

:shocked: Give them the championship already. Because...DAMN that's like the all stars

ESPN has posted this with some proposed lineups for the teams:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story...oenfield/050511

This lineup will be practically unstoppable:

Dominican Republic

2B Alfonso Soriano

SS Miguel Tejada

1B Albert Pujols

DH David Ortiz

CF Vladimir Guerrero

RF Sammy Sosa

3B Aramis Ramirez

LF Jose Guillen

C Miguel Olivo

I almost posted the exact same thing. The DR would be incredible. I'd bet they'd play really well together as well. I mean, to be honest, that could be the best baseball team ever constructed right there. Dont' forget about the pitching they'd have. Their weakest point would be a closer, but with that lineup they probably wouldn't need one.

Is there any chance in hell of pujols playing for the US? He's lived here since age 16 and went to high school and college in the states. I believe he's an american citizen. Well, he married one. Probably one of those that could go either way.

This could be very interesting....

You'd have to think that the DR, Puerto Rico, Cuba (if they field a team), the US, and Japan (if they enter it) are going to be the favorites...

However, wouldn't count out Venezuela, Canada, South Korea, Australia, Mexico, or Taipei from being a factor either....

FANTASY TEAMS

Housatonic U. Dragons (NCFA Basketball): 16-6 (8-4 Conf.)--National Runner-Up

Jersey State U. (NCFA Football): Inaugural Year - 2006

Motor City Silverhawks (WArFL): 9-4 (3rd--National Conf.)

Lehigh Valley Ironmen (WAmFL): Inaugural Season--2006

New England Marauders RFC (RLI): 6-0-7 (6th place)

Detroit Spirit (AA): 3-6 (T-4th--Patriot League)

Brooklyn Atlantics (IBF): 10-5 (1st--Appalachian Conf.)

Boston Mariners RFU (WRU): Coming Soon!

New York Americans (SHL): Inaugural Season - 2006-07

You'd have to think that the DR, Puerto Rico, Cuba (if they field a team), the US, and Japan (if they enter it) are going to be the favorites...

However, wouldn't count out Venezuela, Canada, South Korea, Australia, Mexico, or Taipei from being a factor either....

I think Venezuela can be a dark horse because of their starting pitching. Johann Santana is as good as they come in MLB and the Jays' rookie Gustavo Chacin can be very effective. They don't as good of a lineup as the other teams though

I saw, I came, I left.

I think Venezuela can be a dark horse because of their starting pitching. Johann Santana is as good as they come in MLB and the Jays' rookie Gustavo Chacin can be very effective. They don't as good of a lineup as the other teams though

don't forget zambrano either. Their pitching is top notch. US is lacking in pitching really. I mean clemens/johnson is pretty damn good. But compared to others...they are weaker.

Archived