Usf bulls new logo

CrookedThumb

I agree, I think the old logo was unique and maybe just a slight update would have been more than enough.  The new logo isn't bad by any means.  It's just not great.  It's a logo that has the potential to be replaced again in a few years.

The phoenix design works logo was quite awful.  Way too cartoonish.  I guess I'm not a fan of their work, which pisses me off that UMass would go to them for the redesign.

As for the new logo, I love the new word/secondary marks featuring the "Horned U"... both the USF and BULLS applications. I could be wrong, but I don't think that you'll see the university ever use the "Horned U" as a stand alone. It strikes me that the only reason it was used that way in the animation for the unveiling, was to slowly build suspense. Unless of course USF's "Big Time College Football" envy of a certain intrastate football program leads them to follow that school's ridiculous use of a "U" on their helmets.

As for the primary mark, the bull is a bit cartoonish and the USF within the shield isn't as prominent as I would like. However, it isn't terrible. I've certainly seen FAR worse. I suppose that given my enthusiasm for the old logo, my perfect identity package would be a combination of that mark along with the new "Horned U" word marks.

Brian in Boston

I think they do plan on using the "Horned U" for the helmets. It is referred to as the primary logo, the others being secondaries. Read this article.

http://www.sptimes.com/2003/07/16/Sports/U...go_isn_t_.shtml

sp-logo1.jpgsp-logo2.jpgsp-logo3.jpg

Yes... I just read the full article and realized that the "Horned U" I referred to (the school calls it the "Iconic Bull") will be used as USF's primary mark. While I like it as part of either "USF" or "BULLS", I think that it's a bit ridiculous as a stand-alone logo for the university. As others have discussed in this thread, the "U" stands for... university. How is that an identifier in and of itself?

Brian in Boston

Yes... I just read the full article and realized that the "Horned U" I referred to (the school calls it the "Iconic Bull") will be used as USF's primary mark. While I like it as part of either "USF" or "BULLS", I think that it's a bit ridiculous as a stand-alone logo for the university. As others have discussed in this thread, the "U" stands for... university. How is that an identifier in and of itself?

Brian in Boston

Well, a "U" works for another university in Florida, one to the east, near a city called Miami.

Well, using a letter "U" as a logo seems to have been fairly well accepted by USF's neighbors in Coral Gables.

FYI, they're not really neighbors with Miami. Strangely enough, the University of South Florida is nowhere near South Florida. It's in Tampa. No idea why.

Geographically it seems a bit off since the Univ. of Central Florida is in Orlando, which is east and a little bit north (not much) of Tampa. My theory is USF is older than UCF, which in that scenario, USF would have been more "southern" than the Univ. of NORTH Florida, which is in Jacksonville.

...I love geography.

Archived