Royals hire Bell as manager

Ez Street

Royals hire Bell as manager

DOUG TUCKER

Associated Press

KANSAS CITY, Mo. - Buddy Bell was hired Tuesday as manager of the Kansas City Royals, taking over the team with the worst record in the major leagues.

Bell, the bench coach for the Cleveland Indians, will be the first Royals manager in about two decades with previous experience as a major league skipper - something owner David Glass insisted upon after Tony Pena resigned on May 10.

Bell managed at Detroit 1996-98 and Colorado in 2000-2002, compiling a record of 345-462.

"This was critical," Glass told The Associated Press.

The Tigers in his first year in 1996 lost 109 games, and now he'll be in charge of a team on pace to do even worse.

The Royals went into Tuesday night's game against the New York Yankees 13-37, 20 1/2 games behind the Chicago White Sox in the American League Central. Their record after 50 games is exactly the same as the 1962 New York Mets when they lost a major league-record 120 games and the 2003 Tigers, who lost 119.

Pena resigned after managing the Royals for two-plus seasons, including 2003 when they won 83 games and he was named AL manager of the y7ear.

"This will be a great loss to our major league team and organization, but we're ecstatic for Buddy," Indians general manager Mark Shapiro said. "This is a great opportunity that he wanted and that we are confident he will succeed in."

Well, he's better than no manager, I guess. ^_^

I feel bad for Kansas City baseball fans... they deserve a better run organization... then again, so do Denver baseball fans.

Well, he's better than no manager, I guess. ^_^

I feel bad for Kansas City baseball fans... they deserve a better run organization... then again, so do Denver baseball fans.

I agree.

Personally I think Art Howe would have been better.

But then again if they would have hired Buck Showalter in the first place we might not be having this conversation.

I dont think Bob Brenley would have been a bad hire either,although I think he may be eyeing the Cubs job from their booth.

And speaking of Showalter,he really built the teams that Brenley and Joe Torre won with in the first place,so maybe he WOULD have been the better choice.

98Falcons.png

And speaking of Showalter,he really built the teams that Brenley and Joe Torre won with in the first place,so maybe he WOULD have been the better choice.

Indeed, it's the point I always bring up. Hire him for a few years, fire him, then win the World Series.

Or something like that.... ^_^

Maybe I'm missing something here, but why is Jerry Manuel being overlooked for managerial jobs? The guy had 4 winning seasons out of the 6 he managed (and one of those two losing years he was only 2 games under .500). His teams finished lower than second only one of those six years and he had the best record in baseball one season. Granted, he never had any postseason success, but my goodness, from the Royals' perspective it seems to me he would have been a better choice than Buddy Bell.

Nobdoy the Royals hires will work as long as they continue to trade of their stars and get nothing in return.

In general I agree Tank. But the Beltran trade was a must last year. He wasn't coming back.

HEY, how 'bout good ol' Buddy and the Royals beating the Yanks tonight! Greinke also picked up his first win!

I have to find something to be happy about. At least we beat the :censored:ing Yankees.

One last jab....

Which is more loyal a Yankees fan or a Royals fan. Yankees win a ton and have 26 World Series. Royals have 1 World Series 20 years ago. They have the smallest payroll and worst record in the Bigs. So don't you think being an avid fan of them is just about as loyal as you can get? Well that or stupid. :D

It was a msut but what did they get back?

Prospects, including a third baseman who's supposed to be really good. Why would they try and get any big names in return? So they can finish in the cellar by a few less games? If you're not going to compete, might as well build up prospects and try to get good through that.

IUe6Hvh.png

It was a msut but what did they get back?

Prospects, including a third baseman who's supposed to be really good. Why would they try and get any big names in return? So they can finish in the cellar by a few less games? If you're not going to compete, might as well build up prospects and try to get good through that.

Mark Teahen is the Thridbaseman you are referring to. He should be pretty good from what I hear. They also recieved pitcher Mike Wood and Catcher John Buck. Buck is ok at times, but has trouble hitting. He should imporve to be good enough. Wood is iffy at best. The Royals wanted Teahen the most and they didn't have to mortgage the future for him.

Archived