Few questions about "The Great One," Wayne Gretzky

Plaid Paint

Wayne Gretzky is up to this point the only exception to that whole "Defense wins championships" bit.  Although hopefully there will be a new admission at SBXL :D .

Doubt it with what we call a defense and Doss getting arrested and probably be suspended. Morris will probably wont be back. And the new rookie is being sued. All and all a great start. All we need is the Edge to retire saying that he love to do whatever better than football.

I said hopefully I know it's a fantasy unless Peyton Manning throws for about 60 TD's this year.

#CHOMPCHOMPCHOMP

He started the personalized (well for a player) shoe movement

Not true.

Walt Frazier had his own personalized line of Puma "Clyde The Glide" sneakers back in the 1970's and Converse All-Stars while not officially being named for Dr. J or Julius Irving were marketed as Dr. J's when they first came out.

Wouldn't Chuck Taylor have been the first person with a personalized line of basketball shoes?

/Ed McMahon/

"You are correct sir!!!!"

/Ed McMahon/

What's semi-astonishing is that Taylor's name was put on the shoes back in 1923.

Think about that for a minute.

Neither pro or college basketball was even on the sporting landscape at that time.

It was major league baseball and college football.

I love my Chucks...

...now let's get back on topic, children! [/schoolmarm]

Wagner Athletic Group

11-2 Saskatoon Steeds (WAFL)-NFL-2014 Western Conference Champions / 8-5 Calgary Pronghorns (TNFF)-CFL-2014 Confederation Cup XI Champions

14-6-2 Saskatoon Yellowheads (XHL)-NHL-1st, Gretzky Conference / 5-4-0 Saskatoon Czars (MLH)-AHL-T2nd, Calder Conference

7-1-6 VfL Dortmund (Weltliga)-Bundesliga-3rd, League / 5-1-5 West End AFC (WFL)-EPL-T5th, League

14-7 Saskatoon Sheiks (AA)-MLB-2014 Founder's Cup Champions

Gretzky - The best offensive player in the history of the game

Orr - The best player

Lemieux - The guy who, if fate had let him stay healthy, would be known as the best offensive player in the history of the game

Howe - bleah. but then, i've never really seen any clips of him.

rocketis6.png

I ment he started the movement that currently (well, its kinda faded recently) exists. I didn't mean he was the first ever. He paved the way for the Penny's, the Shaq's, and the Griffey's. I guess I don't know the best way to say it, but had the Jordan's not been as successful as they were, and marketed as well as they were, every other lottery pick wouldn't get their own shoe as is the case in the last 10-15 years.

I knew of Chuck Taylors before Jordan's...but I didn't know it was that long ago. Wow.

Archived