new missouri state logo

I've never seen it as laughing. I guess that's not such a bad thing. Could be laughing at Illinois State fans showing the quality of their education? Around here it's sometimes referred to as the "Cauliflower Bear" or "Head of Broccoli Bear" because of its resemblance to those vegetables from a distance.

As for the "M"...Montana State wears a block M on their helmet, so there is a precedence. The name of the school is Missouri State, not just State. Like I said, kind of a way to bug fans of the University of Missouri at Columbia - just like referring to the school as The Missouri State University.

I wouldn't be opposed to the school using an S on the helmet. The football teams wore helmets with a maroon block "S" with the word "STATE" inside it from 1981-1986. This one - the last one they wore with that logo - is the first SMS football helmet I remember (from "The Helmet Project," hosted by me):

Southwest_Missouri_St_OLD11.gif

If they just would've kept the same typeface for the logos, I wouldn't be opposed to using a helmet like this next season:

TwoStripesS.gif

SpringfieldCardinalsWord.gif

I've never seen it as laughing. I guess that's not such a bad thing. Could be laughing at Illinois State fans showing the quality of their education? Around here it's sometimes referred to as the "Cauliflower Bear" or "Head of Broccoli Bear" because of its resemblance to those vegetables from a distance.

As for the "M"...Montana State wears a block M on their helmet, so there is a precedence. The name of the school is Missouri State, not just State. Like I said, kind of a way to bug fans of the University of Missouri at Columbia - just like referring to the school as The Missouri State University.

I wouldn't be opposed to the school using an S on the helmet. The football teams wore helmets with a maroon block "S" with the word "STATE" inside it from 1981-1986. This one - the last one they wore with that logo - is the first SMS football helmet I remember (from "The Helmet Project," hosted by me):

Southwest_Missouri_St_OLD11.gif

If they just would've kept the same typeface for the logos, I wouldn't be opposed to using a helmet like this next season:

TwoStripesS.gif

Seems to look more like an SMS helmet than they had when they were STILL SMS. They should just go with the bear on the helmet, or come up with an interlocking MSU that's not too similar to Mississippi St. B)

Oh and I would have liked to have seen them tweak the bear a little, maybe a little more streamlined and not so jagged, but that's just minor stuff, I still like it the way it is.

TwoStripesS.gif

Use this helmet design, except instead of just an "S." I'd have "STATE" in arced text and a small bear head right underneath - kind of like what LSU does with their initials and the tiger head.

Use this helmet design, except instead of just an "S." I'd have "STATE" in arced text and a small bear head right underneath - kind of like what LSU does with their initials and the tiger head.

The helmet logo SMS used for its last eight seasons or so was very much like LSU, with an arced "SMS" above the bear head.

Southwest_Missouri_St.gif

(From The Helmet Project)

SpringfieldCardinalsWord.gif

Archived