Arizona/Phoenix Dbacks

cyandlux

I like it, but I also like the Diamondbacks' A.

I don't think this is an AL-NL thing about being named after the state rather than the city. I think, and I may be wrong, that it's basically up to whoever owns the team.

I am, though, against naming a team for the state when there is another major league team in that same state. Thus, I have serious problems with the Marlins being called Florida. Likewise, I had problems with the Angels being called California.

On the other hand, sometimes the state is better. Look at the Minnesota teams, for example. Can you imagine the ire in St. Paul if they were called the Minneapolis Twins, the Minneapolis Vikings or the Minneapolis Timberwolves? Or the ire in Minneapolis if they were the St. Paul Wild?

by that logic, we would have the Dallas/Ft.Worth/Arlington Rangers. Ouch, and you thought the Angels have problems.

I don't mind an team is named after state. Heck in the NFL, the Panthers are named for two states. And don't ge me started with the Patriots. They are named after an region. And you know it wouldn't sound right if they were called the Boston Patriots.

and I just thought of something while reading this. They don't call the Skins or Nationals, The Washington DC Redskins.

I tend to like cities over states (and I am a Minnesota fan).

But I am getting used to states. New Jersey pretty much has to use the state. I know that when the Twins and Vikes were coming up the "Minnesota" was chosen so as not to alienate St. Paul (the teams were playing in the suburbs, but if they chose a city name it would have to be Minneapolis). So I can live with it.

The one that really bothers me is Golden State.

Golden State is the coolest name. Besides, who wants to be readily identified with Oakland? That place is a dump.

the raiders and a's would object to that.

oakland warriors sounds...right. golden state would be fine if they were an ncaa team, but its just sounds lame when used in the pros.

Why it was done by teams like the Marlins and Angels (among others) is strange, since there were already teams in those states when the teams were created, as winghaz already said.

When the Marlins did it they were the only team in Florida, and they were most likely trying to draw a larger fan base. Tampa Bay came around 5 years later. Speaking of Tampa Bay, they're another team that named themselves after a region instead of the city that they actually play in (St. Petersburg).

Scratch Marlins, insert Rangers. My oversight - and what happens when I can't read my own hastily-scrawled notes. My shame, nice catch.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Just for the hell of it:

The National League comprises thirteen teams from a city, and three from a state.

The American League comprises nine teams from a city, two teams from a state, one team from a metropolitan region, and one team from two cities.

The NBA comprises 25 teams from cities, four from states, and one from a state but uses its nickname.

The NHL comprises 24 from cities, four from one state, one from two, and one from a metropolitan region.

β™« oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is goneΒ β™«

The NBA comprises 25 teams from cities, four from states, and one from a state but uses its nickname.

"Golden State" sounds so weak IMO. Oakland or California would better suit the Warriors.

6uXNWAo.png

It's just a marketing ploy for the D'Backs. Where is the spring training? Tucson.

Why did you think the Cardinals change? They were used to be the Phoenix Cardinals when they first moved there from St. Louis. Their training camp is in Flagstaff (don't know if they still trains there), in northern Arizona. They changed to Arizona to attract more fans, hoping to convert Cowboys fans in the state. Arizona was a Cowboyland back then. I moved out of AZ 10 years ago. Don't know if it's still Cowboyland.

It's just a marketing ploy for the D'Backs. Where is the spring training? Tucson.

Why did you think the Cardinals change? They were used to be the Phoenix Cardinals when they first moved there from St. Louis. Their training camp is in Flagstaff (don't know if they still trains there), in northern Arizona. They changed to Arizona to attract more fans, hoping to convert Cowboys fans in the state. Arizona was a Cowboyland back then. I moved out of AZ 10 years ago. Don't know if it's still Cowboyland.

it's not a Cowboy land persay anymore but it's more of a whatever is in season. The Cardinals are gaining fans and there are still the Cowboy fans out here but not as many as there used to be. But the Cardinals are still training in Flagstaff, and people are still waiting for the Stadium. Which looks GOOD.

Archived