Houston Astros on-deck circle

The_Admiral

Something I've noticed when watching Cubs games. When Houston is in town, their on-deck circle is the old 90s logo with the blue and gold. Have the Astros not replaced their circle, or is this an oversight by the Cubs?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Does the visiting team provide their own circles?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Why do MLB teams even need a logo in the on-deck circle to begin with?? If they're gonna use logos in the circles, the home team should just use their own logo in both circles, kinda like how NFL teams paint the end zones at their home stadiums with their own logo, nickname, and colors. Sorta makes sense, don't it?

6uXNWAo.png

A lot of teams will just use a National League or American League circle next to the vistors dugout. (An example does not quickly spring to mind but I know I've seen them before.) The Dodgers always use the visiting team's logo and I can never recall them not using the current logo, such as I easily could view the current "wave" Padre logo Monday night. The Astros haven't been by this year, but I saw them last year and if the blue and gold circle had been out I think I would have noticed it. So, in this case, blame the Cubs!

It's probably the Cubs' fault, just as it was FOX's fault for putting up a 1994-99 batting helmet on the studio set last year during the NL playoffs. And TBS had the old Astros logo and font coloring for about three seasons after the latest logo change.

That said, this wouldn't be a problem if the Astros would pick one logo and color scheme and ride it out for about 40 years. And I'm an Astros fan, so I have the right to call them on the carpet on this.

I don't think the Astros lug an on-deck circle mat with them on road trips. Since not every team uses team logos in their on-deck circles, I'd have to guess that it is the home team that provides the logo artwork for their own field. If the Cubs haven't noticed that the Astros changed colors and logo marks years ago, that's on them.

It's not like they're the only ones - during Expos games last year in Canada, there were all kinds of mistakes and outdated logos on the outfield wall.

A couple of years ago, the Phillies solved the issue by putting down the National League logo in the visitor's on-deck circle. Which doesn't work at interleague time, but I guess they have an A.L. logo, too. I haven't been to an interleague game at Citizens Bank Park yet.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Archived