Soccer question

CDunn

Why do soccer teams, other than MLS, wear jerseys whose colors have nothing to do with the team.  Some teams wear yellow, pink, spearmint green, and even more traditional colors, that have nothing in common with the colors on the crest.  Also, they change jersey colors every couple years.  

Secondly, why do jersey styles rarely match home and road uniforms.  Teams will have one distinct look at home, and a completely different pattern on the road!!

Finally, when you do get same styles something like this happens:  The home is blue with some white striping.  The road is the same, but you replace blue with red.  If a team uses blue and red, shouldn't those colors be on BOTH uniforms.

Is there something I'm missing, something I don't know about soccer?  Check out www.colours-of-football.com and click on any country to get all the teams in that country and you'll see what I mean.  Especially countries that have a lot of teams, like England.

Why do soccer teams, other than MLS, wear jerseys whose colors have nothing to do with the team. Some teams wear yellow, pink, spearmint green, and even more traditional colors, that have nothing in common with the colors on the crest. Also, they change jersey colors every couple years.

Secondly, why do jersey styles rarely match home and road uniforms. Teams will have one distinct look at home, and a completely different pattern on the road!!

Finally, when you do get same styles something like this happens: The home is blue with some white striping. The road is the same, but you replace blue with red. If a team uses blue and red, shouldn't those colors be on BOTH uniforms.

Is there something I'm missing, something I don't know about soccer? Check out www.colours-of-football.com and click on any country to get all the teams in that country and you'll see what I mean. Especially countries that have a lot of teams, like England.

Let me sing it out for you:

Money! Money! Money! Money! Mon..ey! ....... Money! :D

Also, on a more serious tone, they wear these odd colour jerseys on the road to avoid some colour clashing between the competing clubs. Clubs take advantage of that fact to make odd jerseys every couple of years to make money! I checked ChelseaFC's website. There, they have a section on their away strip history. They have had some bizzare designs and non-traditional colours; red, orange, grey for example.

I know about colours-of-football.com. I actually have it as a bookmark on my computer. It's very detailed I must say

I saw, I came, I left.

It is all about money!!

Clubs I think like to vary the colors on away kits to clearly make a difference between one years kit and the next! In Soccer in europe at least the away kit is normally only used if their is a clash of colors (Liverpool v Man Utd for example). When Chelsea play Liverpool both teams would use there first choice of colors (Chelsea in blue Liverpool in red!) So whereas in US sport a road kit is used for half the fixtures a team plays in soccer the away kit might be used say for 1/4 of the games! (Or less depending on the team!) So the designers feel less obligated to make a strip that fits  a club pattern. Also soccer kits tend to follow manufacturers designs rather than team designs (So teams in Nike strips will all have similar collars, and pipings) Except where the designs are historic (Arsenal white sleeves for example). And as away and home kits tend to change every other year in rotation, they can look very different!! Hope that makes sense!!

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

i wish they had international kits, but alas they don't, just club.  great site, though.  at least it's not like MLS where everyone aside from Columbus has a white jersey.  maybe they could learn something.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Archived