Cubs jersey question

CubsFanBudMan

Looking for help from the Cubs fans or anyone else who might know on the board.

When the Cubs switched from blue to gray for their road jerseys in 1990, the first version they wore lasted only one season. The next year the extended they lettering down. I have been looking for one of these jerseys for quite some time, but I've seen different versions bouncing around.

My main question is this: What color were the numbers on the back? Blue-white or red-blue-white (like the front number)? Pictures below are from eBay over the years -- the only two I consider possibly accurate).

I've done some searching and I think blue is the color, and the red-blue-white came later, maybe even in 1991.

I've looked everywhere, looking for baseball cards from 1991, etc, even checking an old deck of Cubs cards I have, but no definite evidence. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

[images removed -- bandwidth issues]

Never mind... it's blue. All of that for nothing. Sorry. This thread can be deleted.

The Sandberg version is on eBay right now and it's the first one I've seen in years on there. I guess I got my hopes up and it clouded my vision, but that deck of cards from 1992 clearly shows Maddux with a blue number -- and the pants were different, too -- blue and white stripes only -- red was added in 1991.

It's a nice jersey, but inaccurate, and I can't part with $250 (first bid) for that. If I wait long enough Mitchell & Ness will come out with one and I can debate whether I want to spend that much on a jersey (haven't yet).

The Sandberg jersey isn't inaccurate; it's just for a different year. The Cubs used the "squat" lettering style for a couple of seasons, but only used the blue numbering for the first season. Additionally, at some point, the road jerseys had patches on *both* sleeves - the "Cubs" logo as displayed above on one sleeve, and the traditional blue bear in a red circle on the other.

(This is all IIRC)

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

The squat lettering was killed off at the request of TV. They were too small to be read easily on camera.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

The Sandberg jersey isn't inaccurate; it's just for a different year.  The Cubs used the "squat" lettering style for a couple of seasons, but only used the blue numbering for the first season.  Additionally, at some point, the road jerseys had patches on *both* sleeves - the "Cubs" logo as displayed above on one sleeve, and the traditional blue bear in a red circle on the other.

(This is all IIRC)

Not true... The "true" squat lettering, as you call it, was used only in 1990:

nl_1990_chicago.gif

In 1991, they elongated the letters, per TV request to this:

nl_1991_chicago.gif

Very similar, but not the same. A true 1990 jersey would be the "squat" letters, red on blue on white numbers on the front with the blue on white numbers and lettering on the back... Red wasn't added to the back until later, but I'm not sure when. The Sandberg jersey here is inaccurate. The Dunston is correct. (BTW, I don't remember the All-Star game patches, as seen on the Dunston, but the Villanueva seems to show it as well, and to be a true 1990, that would have to be there as well, I suppose...)

Moose

Yes, I noticed that the 1990 All-Star patch was missing, but I bought one a few years ago on eBay -- in the back of my mind I was considering 'building' a 1990 road. The next year it was replaced with the 'madcub' and the Cubs logo stayed, too.

Oh well, the 'squat' lettering -- a font the Cubs have used for years on their magazine, Vine Line, and elsewhere, which is why I like this jersey so much -- is making a comeback on several shirts. Much like the madcub I missed for years (especially when bad throwbacks had a mutation of it and the old blue and gold version), I have a feeling it will be back soon.

No throwback stone will be left unturned when it's all said and done.

I like the early 90s Chicago scripts (looks like Rockwell) and the one Ron Santo wore, the bold letters in blue with red trim. The current Chicago greys are bad, and I don't like the road cap. Blue bills and blue numbers, please.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived