Ot: i'm back

jkrdevil

I'm back from my baseball trip. I went to 2 games at wrigley, 1 game at Comisky, 1 game at Miller Park, and 2 games at Busch. Here's what I think of the Ballparks.

Wrigley- Very nice, it's hard to belive that it's been there since 1914. I like it. I went there saturday and I sat through the rain-delay sunday. As long as your not behind a pole you got a good view of the game.

Comisky- UNDERRATED!!! All I have ever heard about it was that it's terrible. It's a great ball park. I went on half-price monday. I sat in the $40 club seats for 20. At the club level they have waiter serveice. The concorse at club level had carpeting and couches with plasma tv's. If you go to Comisky go on monday's and sit there. Don't take the tour of the stadium though the lady that give it knows nothing. She didn't even tell you about the dead Mobster buried outside :D .

Miller- Nice stadium, went there tuesday. Sat secong row, behind home plate in the diamond club level. Just to the left a bleow Bob Ueker (sp?). They closed the dome after the game, that was neat.

Busch- Went to 2 games there. This place is a DUMP. To me it was a closed off Shea stadium ripoff, and that's not good. Seat were broken and uncomfortable. the venders were rude, (if I could understand them) worse than in New York. They need to knock this stadium down and build a new one. It's a shame a good team like that has to play there.

sorry, i'm not a huge baseball fan - who plays in busch stadium? i know the others.

(EDIT) oh, St. Louis. yes. duh, i've actually been there. well, i drove past it. that new stadium looks killer! nice view of the arch too.

i really really want to see miller park, what else did you think of miller? the dome looks COOL! do you have pics?

Vancouver 2010 Two Man Luge Gold Medalist.

http://www.geocities.com/oilfaninvan

Busch- Went to 2 games there. This place is a DUMP. To me it was a closed off Shea stadium ripoff, and that's not good. Seat were broken and uncomfortable. the venders were rude, (if I could understand them) worse than in New York. They need to knock this stadium down and build a new one. It's a shame a good team like that has to play there.

Man do I disagree. Since they renovated it has become a great ballpark. I, as well as most of the people around here, find a new stadium very unnecessary. However, there gonna build one anyway and it at least looks like it will be very cool.

Yeah, it's a very interesting timeline they have for it, putting part of the park up in an adjacent area, then moving into that, demolishing the current Busch, and finishing the rest in that space.

I haven't been to Busch since I moved away, mind you, and they've done renovations since then.  (The green walls still look odd to me, because I'm so used to them being blue.)  It was a fun place to go as a kid, from my recollection.  It wasn't a great place, but not horrible.  It was always pretty clean, by my memory, though times do change.  I'm not sure why you wouldn't have been able to understand the vendors , as St. Louisans generally have no accent whatsoever.

Keep in mind that this was one of (and perhaps the first of) the cookie cutter round multipurpose stadiums of the 60s--and I believe it's pretty close to the last remaining survivor.  (The others I can think of: Veterans, Three Rivers, Riverfront.)

And, I've only been to one other ballpark, the HeftyD--er, Metrodome--so my comparisons are limited.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Man do I disagree. Since they renovated it has become a great ballpark. I, as well as most of the people around here, find a new stadium very unnecessary. However, there gonna build one anyway and it at least looks like it will be very cool.

The first game I sat in terrence box around home plate, It was far trom the field for upper deck. The seats were hard, and broken. When you sat down you fell foward because it went down so far. Game 2 wasn't better sat out in the foul right field area, same level. I was really far from the action, same thing with seats. Another thing the video board is terrible

Renovations ???, I have seen pictures a Busch pre-renovations. All it looks like is they cover the seats green and put a scorboard up.

Also, this has nothing to do with Busch Stadium, but of Busch serveices. I couldn't get a cover for my drink, I had to get a Big one to get cover. There are no cup holders could the least you could do id give covers.

EDIT: Mockba, I understood most of the vendors, though there were some I didn't. Also, the 3 Rivers, and Riverfront has been knocked down, and the Vet will be after this baseball season.

The renovations included changing the configuration of the outfield walls, moving the bullpens from the baselines to the outfield area, and changing from turf to grass.

From the Cardinals' website:

Recent improvements include the installation in 1997 of a hand-operated scoreboard flanked by flag decks commemorating the club's World Series championships and retired numbers; the return in 1996 to a natural-grass playing surface, which replaced the artificial turf that had been in place since 1970; the opening in 1996 of the Family Pavilion, featuring a variety of games and attractions for families and children, and Homer's Landing, a picnic area located above the bullpen in left-center field; and the return of a more traditional "ballpark green" color scheme for the outfield fence and stadium trim.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Alright, I forgot the grass. Moving the fences isn't that big of deal. If you look where the flags are and the scoreboard all they did was cover the seats green. Behind the scorboard, ( which you can see from where my game 1 seats were all it is is a green tarp. Adding grass is the only thing they did to make it nicer.

I had the privelege of going to three games at wrigley last week. it is a wonderful ballpark from a pure baseball standpoint. I do admit that the posts got annoying and the seats in the upper deck were very uncomfortable, but the concourses were very well kept and the ballpark was very clean looking and shows its age only in design. I hardly noticed any peeling paint or smelled any foul odor soaked into the concrete from years of abuse *coughCandlestickcough*

one thing about attending a game at wrigley though, you gotta pay attention. auxillary scoreboards are few and far between there and if your focus isnt on the game, you can lose track of what the situation is. To me and I image in the minds of a lot of baseball fans, this is great. although this may not sit well with "casual" fans.

The former St.Louis Cardinals Football team, now located in Arizona used to play at Busch Stadium. StLfan could give you more info on anybody else that may play there.

There was a big "stink" in the Missouri Legislature on wether the goverment should help fund a new stadium in St.Louis or in KC.  Then they decided to spend part in both cities with St.L getting a good chunk.  KC decided not to build a new stadium for the Royals downtown (there's still talk of this floating around KC).  The Chiefs share Arrowhead with the Wizards soccer club.  Their $$$ will go mainly to renovations.

I hate to agree with rude vendors at Busch (sorry StLfan) but couple of years ago we experienced that.  But the stadium isn't all that bad, small but not a bad place to watch a ball game.  Can't say I've been anywhere but Royals (Kaufmann)Stadium, Busch and "The Ballpark at Arlington (TEXAS).  The Rangers home field is sweet, bigger than Royals Stadium and a unique charm.  Good seat about anywhere at the Ballpark in Arlington.

My brother went to Wrigley and Fenway last year and loved 'em both.  My mom has been to Yankees stadium and said it was great too.  

Glad to have you home JKDevil.

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

Miller- Nice stadium, went there tuesday. Sat secong row, behind home plate in the diamond club level. Just to the left a bleow Bob Ueker (sp?). They closed the dome after the game, that was neat.

I just missed you then. I went to the Brewers games on Wednesday and Thursday. It's a nice park, but it started raining Wednesday, so they closed the roof in the 2nd inning and it proceeded to leak (occasionally on me and my scorecard :angry: ) for the next couple of innings... They need to fix that.

Archived