New Uni Watch Column

Moser316

1dav-jp1116.jpg

It's one of the things I like about the Bucs' uniform - rather than just repeat the helmet logo, they put the secondary on the sleeves. They have a great secondary logo, why not show it off?

Grammatica looks like he's trying to tickle that Packers player in the ribs. :P

I like when teams throw a secondary logon on the jersey instead of just duplicating the primary one. The Ravens, Titans, Eagles, Vikings, and Rams are the only other teams that do this like the Buccs. The Bengals did have it before they switched to their current Halloween costume. :blink:

NorthernColFightingWhites4.GIF

Teams with no logos on their jerseys have been adding either wordmarks (under the collar) or logos (Jets, Steelers) to help prevent unlicensed jersey sales. I don't think you can copywrite a jersey template or stripe pattern, so any jackass could market a black jersey with yellow stripes as a Steelers replica. Not anymore. Now if they do it (with the patch) it is illegal. Same with teams like the Redskins. You could easily sell fake Skins jerseys (as long as you didn't state that it was a licensed Redskins product.) Now with the wordmark on it, if you reproduced that, you'd be in trouble.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Teams with no logos on their jerseys have been adding either wordmarks (under the collar) or logos (Jets, Steelers) to help prevent unlicensed jersey sales. I don't think you can copywrite a jersey template or stripe pattern, so any jackass could market a black jersey with yellow stripes as a Steelers replica. Not anymore. Now if they do it (with the patch) it is illegal. Same with teams like the Redskins. You could easily sell fake Skins jerseys (as long as you didn't state that it was a licensed Redskins product.) Now with the wordmark on it, if you reproduced that, you'd be in trouble.

Colors and patterns alone can be trademarked, but it's harder to do so. The person/business applying for the trademark has to show that their color scheme is distinctive and and some cases, has secondary meaning.

The Steelers, for example, COULD get a trademark for their striped jerseys, but they would have to show a lot more than just "hey we use this striping pattern so no one else can".

1zgyd8w.jpg

Archived