Field Markings

slapshot

Watching highlights of the Eagles and Steelers games, I noticed something about both fields.

I know that Pitt also plays at Heinz field, I don't know what NCAA team plays at Lincoln Financial (Temple maybe?). I know that both NCAA and NFL hashmarks are present on the fields, it's inevitable if the game are played on successive days. Both both Linc and Heinz fields had lines in between the numbers and the sidelines, about a year outside the numbers. They weren't that long, maybe 2 yards long at most.

I can't remember seeing anything specific about NCAA field numbering that is different from the NFL marks, but does anyone know what these marks are for? They don't look like they're for other sports besides football.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

The Hashmarks are wider for the NCAA than the NFL. What's really weird is how later in the season, when high school teams start wrapping up their seasons in State Championship games in the local NFL stadiums, because I'm pretty sure NFHS marks are wider still, leaving three sets of hashmarks on the field. (Minnesota comes to mind on this count, I believe the Superdome had them too at times)

I've decided to give up hope for all sports teams I follow

That's basically it; many times teams line up players based on where the numbers are painted on the field; thus standardization.

When the Packers would play exhibition games in Madison, the Camp Randall turf had similar lines painted on to show where the pro numbers would be.

139775815_cc7da57bca_o.jpg

It might be for the NCAA numbers. I couldn't find a good picture that had a clear view of these extra lines (they're not the hashmarks, because these are between the numbers and the sidelines).

OAK_PHI.0091_DH.jpg

In this picture, just to the right of Eagles player #52, you can see what looks like the line in question. Just to the left of the player's helmet, you can make out part of the yard line numbers, and you can see that the mysterious line would be in between the numbers and the sideline.

The reason there hare small hashmarks inbetween the sideline and NFL yard line numbers. This is in part because of an NCAA and NFHS rule where all the offensive players must be beyond nine yards of the sideline prior to the snap.

It's difficult rule to explain, but it's purpose is to keep a last minute subsitution from just steping off the sideline prior to the snap, uncovered and open for a quick pass.

The rule states that each o-player must be inside the nine yard mark for one second prior to the snap. A last second sub would not have that ability, and would get flaged for illegal Participation. (15 yard peanality and a loss of down). There is a modification of this rule if the team is in possession during the last 2 minutes and are in a hurry up offense.

This rule was adopted for the first time for High School use as well.

"Post Hoc, Ergo Propter Hoc!:  "After this, therefore, because of this."

f3dca0b9-3d53-4cd3-b468-7ac58806b3dc.png

So, instead of having the numbers on the field (which are approximately at the 9-yard marks for NCAA and HS football), the numbers were left at NFL position, and they added 9-yard marks?

Makes sense.

Although my flag would spend more time on the ground than in my hand in Pop Warner and some high school games for that Illegal Participation penalty. :D We try to throw the flag early so it's only an Illegal Substitution penalty (5 yards) instead of the 15-yard variety.

Then again, here in Mass. we play modified NCAA rules, not Federation, so we've been using that 9-yard rule for quite some time now.

In Arizona we also try to toss the 5 yard illiegal subsitution rule before the 15 yard IP rule. (Much easier on the teams and you get the point across better).

On the NFL fields/college fields some stadiums do, some dont. ASU Sun Devil Stadium (Home of ASU, AZ Cardinals, the 4A and 5A HS Championships) will physicaly move the numbers (You can see the "Ghosting" on TV. Except in Phoenix as the Cards never sell out!).

On a related note Arizona HS (The Arizona Interscholastic Assn), has been a leader in several new rule changes including the illegal block in the back, illegal proceedure changes, The Victory with Honor Program, and the 5yrd out of play marks on the sidelines. I am glad MASS is a leader in the 9yard rules and hope that NF will continue to refine and make HS Football a safer and more enjoyable experence.

Go to aiaonline.org and look up Victory with Honor. We are having tremendous success with this and have seen the numbers of ejections and unsportsmanlike calls drop expoentially! :-)

"Post Hoc, Ergo Propter Hoc!:  "After this, therefore, because of this."

f3dca0b9-3d53-4cd3-b468-7ac58806b3dc.png

i believe the reason for the college hashes at the link would be because temple plays at least some games there if not all their home games.

They play most of their games at the Linc. They've used Franklin Field at UPenn in the recent past as well. GOOD SEATS STILL AVAILABLE...

Bank of America (Ericsson) Stadium hosts college football games occasionally (UNC/NCSU). Sun Devil Stadium hosts the NFL in a reversal of the norm. Raymond James in Tampa hosts USF games in addition to the previously-mentioned Metrodome and Superdome. This year, Tiger Stadium at LSU will also host pro games. And many of the pro stadiums host bowl games (ALLTEL, Dolphins, Bank of America, Qwest, Reliant).

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Archived