McGill cancels football season

DEAD!

The McGill Redmen football team has cancelled the rest of it's season as a result of the actions towards a rookie player. It's a black eye on one of the oldest university football programs.

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Football/NCAA/20...1268076-cp.html

Also, the Windsor Spitfires head coach/GM has been suspended for a long period of time.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/article.jsp...1018_143859_992

I saw, I came, I left.

McGill Cancels Football Season (with extra comments provided by me)

MONTREAL (CP) - McGill University officials cancelled the remainder of their football team's season Tuesday in the wake of a report that confirmed a hazing incident.

The announcement came following an investigation into a complaint launched by a 18-year-old rookie who alleged he was sexually assaulted with a broomstick by a veteran player while others looked on and cheered.

(Someone may want to let the janitor know that before he sweeps the floor again)

The university said its investigation concluded that "serious hazing including threats and intimidation, by comments and actions and by the use of demeaning, stereotyped epithets" did occur during Rookie Night on Aug. 27.

(Coz nothing says camraderie like group humiliation and sodomy!)

Interim provost Anthony Masi said contrary to some reports, there was no evidence of sodomy. But the university said the investigation "shows that the event did involve nudity, degrading positions and behaviours, gagging, touching in inappropriate manners with a broomstick, as well as verbal and physical intimidation of rookies by a large portion of the team."

(Kinda gives new meaning to the nickname "Redmen" doesn't it?)

"This behaviour of the football team has stained the reputation of the McGill Redmen, McGill Athletics, and the university," the university said in a release Tuesday.

(I understand "staining" was another activity the team took part in.)

The university said along with cancelling the remainder of the season, it was also taking disciplinary actions against certain individuals. It did not release any names.

(But no proof of sodomy so I guess they're just on "double secret" probation)

Six players were previously suspended - five for one game and one indefinitely - for breaking team rules.

(There was already team rules against sodomy?!?! Jeez who's the head coach of this team Ron Jeremy?)

"Hazing is based on humiliation and degradation," said Masi. "It has no place at McGill. It will not be tolerated in any form. No excuses. No exceptions."

(Except for all the previous years it took place here)

The university praised the victim of the hazing for coming forward.

(And asked for more details..... much more details)

"We commend the courage of the young man who engaged in exemplary behaviour by coming forward with the complaint that led to the investigation of the incident."

In late September, several players signed a letter apologizing to the student for their actions in the "long standing ritual."

("Don't blame us, it's tradition.")

The letter called the hazing a "long-standing ritual which is designed to be a team-bonding experience which all members of the team underwent. It is not designed to be a hazing ritual driving new team members away.

(I wonder if they ever mention this little "tradition" during recruiting?)

"However, we fully accept that the emotional and psychological stresses it induces may not be the best way to forge relationships with new team members."

(Did you ever think you'd look back on the good ole days of a drunken kegger with nostalga?)

The letter ended by stating: "This type of initiation will never be undertaken again by the Redmen football team."

(I'm sure by next year they'll find another whole new way to carry on with it)

These same players later told the media there was "no sexual abuse" or hazing.

(When someone throws a toga party, it doesn't mean you need to do everything the Romans did.)

The university said it would not make its full investigation report public "as it contains confidential information."

(Other than everyone's names, what hasn't been published? Did they leave out an animal sacrifice?)

McGill's team was 1-5 this season. The Redmen were to have hosted No. 1 Laval this weekend.

(So basically they were just showing the freshmen how the varsity squad was probably going to get reamed later this weekend.)

"The hazing was organized as a team activity by veteran players and a large majority of team members participated," the university said. "Consequently, the team as a whole is being held responsible, regardless of varying degrees of blame that may be attributed at the individual level.

"Separate disciplinary actions are underway to deal with individuals in accordance with University policies and regulations regarding students and staff. These actions are confidential, according to McGill's policies and procedures."

(Violators will be publically beaten and humiliated by the victims' mothers)

The university also announced a 16-point plan to combat hazing, and the entire football team - staff included - was ordered to perform community service for at least the next two years.

Hey while we're at can the University of Toronto cancel the rest of its football season too on the grounds of mercy? Whipping boys didn't get this regular type of beatings.

(ducks and runs) :D

We all have our little faults. Mine's in California.

Hey while we're at can the University of Toronto cancel the rest of its football season too on the grounds of mercy? Whipping boys didn't get this regular type of beatings.

(ducks and runs)  :D

Cancel NOW? They cancelled the program about eight years ago :D

I saw, I came, I left.

Although Canadian university athletics frustrates me a lot of times with the lack of popular support, in some cases its refreshing to see McGill take a hardline stance on hazing. Even more refreshing is to see the OHL doing the same.

Initiation should integrate new players into the team, not humiliate and violate them.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

Although Canadian university athletics frustrates me a lot of times with the lack of popular support, in some cases its refreshing to see McGill take a hardline stance on hazing. Even more refreshing is to see the OHL doing the same.

Initiation should integrate new players into the team, not humiliate and violate them.

Wise words Phil.

I'm glad McGill took action after these allegations, because as you said, initiations are meant to integrate players.

I do believe it's ok to have fun, but with them and with their consent, because they will be teammates afterwards. How would you be able to play with someone that humiliated you?

I'd make a nice suicide pass for the guy so that he gets completely killed on the field... And then let him know what that was all about! :devil:

Four times IHL Nielson Cup Champions - Montréal Shamrocks (2008-2009 // 2009-2010 // 2012-2013 // 2014-2015)

Five times TNFF Confederation Cup Champions - Yellowknife Eagles (2009 CC VI // 2010 CC VII // 2015 CC XII // 2017 CC XIV // 2018 CC XV)

Very wise, SyPhi, very wise. I'm all for some kind of initiation that builds someone up rather than completely degrade them. Unfortunately the sports world is one that is all too often overrun by the 2% of guys playing that are total morons. I never ran into this on teams I played on, but if I had, I can't imagine that there wouldn't have been some retribution. Actually, I don't believe that we don't hear more of this stuff gone bad, and to hear someone like Darcy Tucker laughing about the Windosor incident turns my stomach.

"Hats for bats. Keep bats warm. Gracias"

Archived