NY-P League's New Team Identities...

Brian in Boston

I don't know if this has already been covered, but here goes...

State College

As of August 17, 2005, the only one of five semi-finalist identities in State College's "Name the Team" contest that had been protected with the USPTO was State College Spikes. It is listed as being owned by State College Professional Baseball LP, Curve Baseball II LLC (the sister company to Altoona Curve Baseball LP). It is a reference to a term signifying a young male deer's unbranched antlers, but also plays off of the railroad theme that is evident in the ownership group's other team name, the Altoona Curve.

Vermont

While nothing has yet been registered with the USPTO, Vermont Expos' General Manager C. J. Knudsen may have given the strongest indication yet of which direction the franchise is going in. When questioned about the team's new identity at the recent Minor League Baseball Promotional Seminar in Memphis, Knudsen said, "I don't think we can stray too far from our mascot Champ. He is what puts people in the seats."

Champ is a depiction of the Loch Ness Monster-like creature that supposedly inhabits Lake Champlain. Knudsen's comment at the MiLB Promotional Seminar may mean that his team is leaning towards going with Vermont Lake Monsters, reportedly one of the most-suggested identities in the club's "Name the Team" contest.

I've only been to State College once (and a lot of the trip is still hazy :wacko: (:puke: maybe??)). Is there any significant rail presence there (like the horseshoe curve in/near Altoona)? Spikes also plays off baseball spikes, but otherwise it doesn't work for me. Maybe something like "Stags" if they want to reference the deer (and there is no better way to get attention in North Central PA than talking about deer hunting season).

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

what the hell is wrong with Champs? They should have listened to me and used my ready made logo when I summitted it. :P

I kept hearing Green Mountain Boys which would have to be one of the longest names. Would it be Vermont Green Mountain Boys? 4 words???

what the hell is wrong with Champs?  They should have listened to me and used my ready made logo when I summitted it. :P

I kept hearing Green Mountain Boys which would have to be one of the longest names.  Would it be Vermont Green Mountain Boys?  4 words???

I thought of Champs as well, but I couldn't make up my mind about it. I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks it has promise.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Vermont Champs is what I submitted to their "Name the Team" contest, as well.

In point of fact, the team's General Manager said that it was one of the most-submitted names to the contest and particularly popular with young fans and families. However, he also alluded to the fact that it might sound foolish to root on a last-place team named the Champs.

Me? I think that Champs is simple, short and plays off of the name of Lake Champlain, the name of the mysterious creature that supposedly calls the lake home and the idea of a sports "champion". It's a winner in my book.

Vermont Champs is what I submitted to their "Name the Team" contest, as well.

In point of fact, the team's General Manager said that it was one of the most-submitted names to the contest and particularly popular with young fans and families. However, he also alluded to the fact that it might sound foolish to root on a last-place team named the Champs.

Me? I think that Champs is simple, short and plays off of the name of Lake Champlain, the name of the mysterious creature that supposedly calls the lake home and the idea of a sports "champion". It's a winner in my book.

Except for that whole "can't get the trademark because the clothing store has it" thing.

Cards.png

Except for that whole "can't get the trademark because the clothing store has it" thing.

Wrong.

Should the minor-league baseball team wish to use the name, they would be seeking trademark protection for "Vermont Champs". Not just Champs.

Even when the name Champs was used by them in a stand-alone capacity, they would be required to use a logo and wordmark that would be distinct from the style used by the Champs Sports. This would add an additional layer of protection between the two entities being confused.

Additionally, they would be engaged in the business of providing entertainment services in the nature of professional baseball games and exhibitions... as opposed to running a national chain of athletic apparel stores.

Just run a search of the word Champs through the USPTO trademark database. There are plenty of entities besides Champs Sporting Goods that utilize the word in their legally trademarked names.

In short, just as other businesses with similar names can legally co-exist (i.e. the Florida Panthers and Carolina Panthers, New York Rangers and Texas Rangers), the Vermont Champs and Champs Sporting Goods could both acquire protection for their names under United States trademark laws.

Is there any significant rail presence there (like the horseshoe curve in/near Altoona)? Spikes also plays off baseball spikes, but otherwise it doesn't work for me.

Honesdale, PA is known as the "Birthplace of the American Railroad". That is in NE PA, about 2 hours from State College, where Penn State University is...there USED to be heavy rail travel through this area, but that is no longer the case...but it's not like railroads were never here, there IS historical relevance...

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

With regard to whether or not the Spikes identity is meant to be an overt reference to the history of rail travel in Pennsylvania, one need only reference the ownership group's rationale for selecting the name as one of the five semi-finalists (along with Anglers, Coalys, Furnace and Haymakers).

From www.statecollegebaseball.com:

Representing the wildlife category is the name "Spikes", referring to the unbranched antler of a young male deer. The name signifies the importance of deer-hunting in Centre County, while also serving as a metaphor for a young minor leaguer who may not develop into a major leaguer, just as a young deer may or may not develop a full set of antlers. "Spikes" also has a railroad connotation, which links it to the Altoona Curve, whose secondary logo includes a railroad spike through a baseball.

It seems to be more of an "in-house" reference to the ownership group's other franchise than anything else.

What I find curious is that in an effort to justify one of their selections for a team name finalist, ownership/management actually has raised the spectre of a young prospect potentially not developing his talents while with their club. Granted, most minor-leaguer players won't reach Major League Baseball. However, it seems an odd choice to play-up that aspect of life in the minors as part of a potential branding/marketing campaign.

What I find curious is that in an effort to justify one of their selections for a team name finalist, ownership/management actually has raised the spectre of a young prospect potentially not developing his talents while with their club. Granted, most minor-leaguer players won't reach Major League Baseball. However, it seems an odd choice to play-up that aspect of life in the minors as part of a potential branding/marketing campaign.

Interesting point. I can see the press release now:

"Like a young buck shot down in his prime on the first day of hunting season in Centre County, Smith failed to develop his potential despite five-tool skills and was released today by the parent organization."

Lake Monsters sounds too close to Lock Monsters.

I forsee a lot of confusion if the Lake Monsters come to play against Lowell.

If they were both the same sport, perhaps... but given that the Lake Monsters are a baseball team (short season no less) and the Lock Monsters hockey, I don't see a problem here.

If they were both the same sport, perhaps... but given that the Lake Monsters are a baseball team (short season no less) and the Lock Monsters hockey, I don't see a problem here.

Considering the ballpark where the Lake Monsters would play is half a block down from the arena where the Lock Monsters play, the potential for confusion is there.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Considering the ballpark where the Lake Monsters would play is half a block down from the arena where the Lock Monsters play, the potential for confusion is there.

This is the Vermont Baseball team we are comparing to a Lowell MASSACHUSETTS hockey team. I see no confusion

Signature intentionally left blank

Archived